Best Sounding Original CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh........what's the upside down triangle on the right? Is it just a kind of unimportant part of the overall stamp? What does a black triangle cd look like?

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

[​IMG]

3. Havoc

Hehehehehe.......I loved how Carrie Fisher kept trying to blow him up. "..............locusts.......it wasn't my fault!!!!"

4. Havoc

Thanks! Is it associated with EMI or more an identifier of the disc manufacturer? That disc looks impressive as well. This could be just another odd fetish of mine, I had a college professor who explained how the look, feel and weight of a book is a physical connection between author and reader and I've had an odd "havoc fetish" with books ever since. The first cd I bought had a very professional look to it, much like the discs pictured above which made some odd impression on me.........maybe I have issues. Does anyone collect discs with certain stamp designs on them?

alexpop likes this.
  5. Havoc

I like that one as well although I think the deluxe edges it out ever so slightly. How do you think the other Oil albums sound when compared to their remasters? I can't imagine ESM being improved upon but surprisingly the BSM remaster sounds pretty decent.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The disc's manufacturer, Toshiba.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Have you heard any DCC/MFSL CDs ?

8. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Somehow Toshiba managed to press discs with just a little more bass extension and definition. In addition, many black triangles have a different, and better to my ears, mastering from their US and EU counterparts. There are a lot of posts on this on the forum.

Havoc likes this.
  9. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I'm excited about the upcoming Cherry Red reissues of the first two Cock Robin albums because each will be loaded with single mixes, 12" mixes, etc. But I have to say that the original CDs (1985 and 1987, respectively) each sound incredible after all these years. So many "early" CDs sound like crap or are just way too quiet, but these two are both quite powerful. Cherry Red quality can be hit or miss, but these have been mastered by Vinnie Vero from the original tapes, so I expect they will be good. I like what he did with the Basia reissue last year.

10. Havoc

Thanks. Did a search but I guess my Boolean is a little rusty.

11. Havoc

I ordered my first this weekend- Rush "Presto"

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

1. Yes, people collect cd's based on the design and pressing. They're always early pressings, and sometimes they sound better than any others. Sometimes not.
    2. Yes, you have some very, very serious issues.
    3. You're in the right place here.
    4. If you stay here, those issues will only get worse, but more fun.

13. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

14. Havoc

Don't tell a guy with issues that he has issues!!!! It's dangerous. ;) I spent nearly 20 years acting the part while an officer in the military , all the while managing to suppress my inner-zaniness so now I'm letting it all out and lucky you, you get to witness it all. So if I were to start collectin' pressins.......where's a good place to start? I grew up worshipping 80's punk and new wave while avoiding any and all bands from Rhode Island and Borneo.........it's a long story.

JimD likes this.
  15. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Eagles - "Hotel California"

mdm08033 and yasujiro like this.
  16. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I've only ever heard the one song off of that album. I will have to check out the album. Thanks. You have a point about sound quality. I also thought Tears for Fears' Elemental (1993) had great sound production also.

Cold -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz82pASGkgw

onionmaster likes this.
  17. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one mentioned these earlier.

For me, it's the initial 1985 transfers to CD of the first 7 albums that sound really great. (This includes the legendary Steve Hoffman masterings of Aja - which I have - and Katy Lied - which I don't.) Very worth hunting down if you're a fan if the 'Dan.

Cheers,
    Paul

tmtomh and driverdrummer like this.
  18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"The Zombies ‎– Greatest Hits"
    http://www.discogs.com/Zombies-Greatest-Hits/release/559856
    B4 i saw the label was "DCC" & way B4 i knew who Steve was.
    Heard over the over-head home spks at a book store in "The Creek" in the early nineties & could tell the SQ from 15' away & 12' high.

EDitEDbyED:
    i would think the "AF" SA-CD by Hoffman certainly surpasses it tho!

19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I prefer early, original cds the most. Many of these cds, such as the original pressings of Bad Company-Straight Shooter, Bob Seger-Stranger In Town, and Blood Sweat and Tears debut, can be cranked up to the max and sound lovely. There are some BAD original cds out there as well (Journey-Frontiers is one of the worst offenders). It is a lot of fun collecting.

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You didn't like Frontiers? After pre-emph mine sounds great :)

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I had it cranked up and it was so bright. Sounds like mine had pre-emph.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 1988 CD issue of REO Speedwagon's "The Hits" is a great sounding CD.

billnunan likes this.
  23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Man, I strongly disagree. Most of the original RCA Bowie cds sound muffled. I couldn't believe how much fuller my well-played vinyl album of Changes sounded compared to the cd. Didn't RCA use available cassette tape masters for that series just to get product on the shelves during the initial commercial debut of the format?

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Well the original RCA CD's varied between the Japanese made versions and the German made versions. And while some of them, I agree, don't sound too great, they're all better than the thin Ryko's and the eq'd Virgin remasters. Generally, the Japanese pressed discs all the way up to Young Americans (despite it's "cut off" opening drum beats on the first track) sound the best (Aladdin Sane, in particular. Nice, open, dynamic. The title track sounds like it's beeing played right in the room in front of me.) For the rest, the German-pressed cd's are the best, and sound amazing (Station to Station, Low, and Heroes all sound fantastic, imo.) I just have to make a case for the RCA's because they sound fantastic. I also love the sound of the Japan RCA "The Man Who Sold The World." Apparently, the German has a little more bass, but I think the Japan has plenty.

HiFi Guy 008 and sound chaser like this.
  25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Generally speaking, the praise for the RCA Bowie discs is based on comparisons to other cd versions not comparisons to the lps.

Library Eye, BIG ED and bcaulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.