Best Sounding Original CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

D0 you mean this one? If so, YMMV.

[​IMG]

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

Franky goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome .
    I have the album on lp and cd and there are both very good.
    I some booklest of the cd are even the "static clicks "mentioned.

3. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Yes, the CD. It was one of the first tips I followed from this forum and caused me to seek out great-sounding discs.

mdm08033 and billnunan like this.
  4. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I have owned the Marley discs by Barry, and the remasters. Both were really decent sounding.

A bit different, but felt the remasters were a bit more bass and treble heavy, but seemed to have more clarity at times.

Tough to say which was truly "Better"

I thought of them, more as different takes on the sound. Neither were bad.

stef1205 and JimC like this.
  5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

They are referring more too the mastering of the non-TO "DSotM", more than specifically too "The Black Triangle" release itself.
    Tho there are "BT-fanatics" that will swear it's the "BT or Die" & they'll pay the $$$ too back that up too!!

tmtomh likes this.
  6. 926am

926am Senior Member

Don't most modern cd players know how to decode pre-emph cds??

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You would think so :shrug:

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You know, I was just doing an A/B on Frontiers, My Onkyo 7030 is quite a bit brighter than using the foobar pre-emph plugin on my rip, both being run through the same DAC, the rip sounding better, hmm

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I like the 80's Triumph CD's on MCA. I have all of them up to Allied Forces. The 1995 TRC Canadian versions of the first two albums are great sounding as well.

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I hadn't played my copy in six or seven years. Still find it a little bright and dry in the higher frequencies—and that's after years of declining hearing acuity.

JimC likes this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Truly a fine sounding CD

12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you own any of the remasters? Just checking to see what you thought of them as I'm liking them but still trying to train my ears to pick up on the potential pitfalls of remasters.

13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Agree earlier posts about ABC's "Beauty Stab". Also some of the original Police CD's as mentioned by Ricks in the awesome Police mastering thread.

Adding to this thread is Kate Bush's: "The Kick Inside" EMI, AAD, Made in Holland CDP7460122
    and: "Never for Ever" EMI, AAD, Made in EU CDP7463602

They come pretty close to my Vinyl versions which cant be beat.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I owned the Dutch Kick Inside pressing and I replaced it with the Japanese "black triangle" CD (CP35-3045), which sounds better (its reprint, Pastmaster CP21-6082, has the same mastering). Just a bit more bass, a bit more instrument separation, a bit more "weight". Never For Ever is the same master in almost any CD version and sounds great indeed. Lionheart is great sounding too (also the same master in almost all CD versions).

15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Thanks, I have the thinking Japanese Mini LP version of Lionheart so I wont be seeking for any other versions if they all share the same master.
    When you say "more bass", "weight" and "more separation" that sounds like the smiley affect of turning the bass and treble up and louder. I'll stick to my flatter dutch version, not the Dolly Parton version :D

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I probably explained it wrong, and you forgot to read the "a bit" parts. The black triangle is an earlier master than the Dutch pressing and by no means is it smiley EQ'd or more compressed and louder. For me it was worth the extra money, but the Dutch pressing is very good too.

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I have found none of them sound truly bad, but just mild differences in EQ and level somewhat.

Barry's sound great and natural, but honestly in "Some ways", the later remasters sound great also, and honestly the material is not hurt by the EQ choices. (boosted bass it appears and some treble boost)

19. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

OMG! That's the dreaded smiley-face!

[​IMG]

Of course what is conveniently ignored, is if you restore the bass and treble found on the original tape that was rolled off for the vinyl - so it wouldn't skip the cartridge while playing - you actually end up with an accurate representation of the originally intended sound of the album.

eelkiller, Joy-of-radio and kevintomb like this.
  20. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

One that I enjoy the most for its dynamism and great sound is "Ultra" by Depeche Mode (Reprise Records 9 46522-2)

"Nude" and "Rain Dances" by Camel (as all the material of this band under the Deram label UK 1992)

The first album of Peter Gabriel is one of my favorites (PGCD1 Virgin 1987)... great sound.

Whitesnake: "Love Hunter" EMI (UK) 0777 7 52053 2 9, "Ready & Willing" 0777 7 52053 2 9 EMI (UK) and "Come An Get It" EMI (Holland) 0777 7 90305 2 1

"Master Strokes 1978-1985" by Bill Bruford; EGCD 67 (EU)

"Elegant Gypsy" by Al Di Meola, Columbia USA CK 34461 (1991)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Stuart S likes this.
  21. gmitchel

gmitchel Forum Resident

I think my favorite sounding CD is Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now.

22. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

-Black Sabbath; The Ozzy Osbourne Years (3 cd box) Castle UK ESBCD 142 (1991)
    -Eric Clapton: Crossroads (Polidor USA ‎– 835 261-2 ‎– 835 268-2 ‎– 835 269-2 ‎– 835 270-2‎– 835 271-2) 1988
    -Genesis, Trespass Virgin UK CASCD 1020 (1985)
    -Blondie, The Best Chrysalis UK CCD 1371
    -Steve Hackett; Spectral Mornings Virgin UK CDSCD 4017 (1989)
    -Tears For Fears: Elemental, Polygram/Mercury USA P2-14875 (1993) and Tears Roll Down Fontana UK 510939-2 (1992)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    DiabloG, The Bish and rock76 like this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Me too, the older ones are much better

24. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That stinks...stick with vinyl until they do a proper release.

25. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Depeche Mode - Singles 81-85. Original Mute CD.

Front 242 Addict, tmtomh and rock76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.