Best sounding Townes Van Zandt CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greatcompromise, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatcompromise

greatcompromise New Member Thread Starter

Looking to complete a set of his studio albums on CD. Which labels releases sound the best? Tomato, Charly, Rhino, Domino, Fat Possum, Omnivore? Original or remastered? I've read some added echo on his voice, etc...opinions? I think Charly has the most recent reissues, followed by Omnivore and the Fat Possum digipaks. Thanks!

2. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I started with The Best Of Townes Van Zandt CD on Tomato, it's inexpensive on Amazon used.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Minorityshareholder and Larry Mc like this.
  4. greatcompromise

greatcompromise New Member Thread Starter

I'm really looking to buy each individual studio album - not a best of or box set. Thanks though!

5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I like this one too.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  6. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Why isn't this thread more robust? Took my chance on the early Tomato versions of the CDs and an EMI one (can't remember which album). All 1989-1993 versions of the studio albums.

8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Bump. How is this thread not chockful of insight?

GerryO likes this.
  9. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Not sure how the sound compares to other versions but just discovered his "No Deeper Blue" CD from 1994 on the Sugar Hill label. I know this is late in his career but think the album is just fantastic. I especially love the song Marie. This guy was amazing. I am just sorry that I didn't discover him until long after his death.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

This is essential:
    [​IMG]

mpayan, fenderesq and AlmanacZinger like this.
  11. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've never heard a TVZ release that sounded particularly amazing, but then, it's not really audiophile music. Some of his absolute best work sounds atrocious, but the performances are enough to make you forget the buzzing/hiss/crappy overdubs and other obvious faults.

The real question, imo, is making sense of his catalogue. It's not as messy as, say, Elvis Presley's is, but there are so many live albums that it's hard to know where to start. Personally, if I had to suggest building a TVZ collection from the ground up, I'd go in this order*:

1. Texas Troubadour (most of the studio albums*, plus the best of The Nashville Sessions in stellar sound and selections from Live At The Old Quarter that - for the most part - aren't available in studio versions)
    2. Rear View Mirror (his most emotional live album, featuring many of his best songs. This was my first TVZ experience, and it made me a fan for life, but be warned - it's painful listening in more ways than one)
    3. At My Window (probably my favourite of his original albums; his vocals are rough but beautiful)

At that point, if you're not hooked, odds are the guy isn't for you. And if you are hooked, everything you can get your hands on is worthwhile, 'cause you'll find at least a track or two that you fall in love with. Some releases that particularly stand out:

- Sunshine Boy (a Bootleg Series-like look at what are probably Townes' most beloved studio sessions, including two incredible takes of Dead Flowers)
    - High, Low, & In-Between/The Late Great Townes Van Zandt (most of this material is on Texas Troubadour, but it features some - imo -superior takes)
    - In The Beginning (just what it says...Townes before hack producers had their way with him, and before the boozing started to affect his voice)
    - A Far Cry From Dead (the overdubs might put a lot of purists off, but it's one of his better-sounding releases...plus, you get the stunning Sanitarium Blues, which is one of his greatest achivements)

*I know that many (OK, almost all) TVZ fans think that Live At The Old Quarter is his crowning masterpiece, but it's always left me cold. It has a certain purity about it (just Townes and his guitar, in relatively clear sound), but the performances have none of the vitality that you get from his other live albums (or even many of the studio takes).

sami, Beech and ATXadjacent like this.
  12. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

How did you end up liking these? Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's hard for me to say because I generally prefer non-remastered CDs (at least to post '95 remasters) and have heard almost none of the recently reissues/remastered CDs. The only two things I dislike about original issue CDs is if No-noise was used or if the bottom end is too thin. For TVZ, the latter wouldn't be so noticeable on much of his work. I'm also in a transition period between new DACs. My most recent DAC (Schiit Multi-Bit BiFrost) made original 80s/90s CDs sound REALLY good. In fact the only one I had that still sounded thin through the DAC was the CBS issued CD of Molly Hatchetts' No Guns, No Glory. I also have a Fisher tube amp, which helps things.

That said, I'm happy to have them, but please keep in mind my preferences and lack of comparison to other editions, noted above. I REALLY dislike when country/folk/ and R&B get compressed, so there's little chance I'd prefer louder versions. I think I did hear some of the box set versions and felt they were a bit too bright for me (which I think spurned my goal to find the original issue CDs).

Once I get/break in my new DAC (if I remember), I'll bump the thread with more thoughts.

fatwad666 likes this.
  14. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I realize this isn’t very useful; but... just about everything that went from Townes’s vocal chords and guitar to tape is essential. From the time In The Beginning there was No Deeper Blue.

Anyone not familiar with Townes Van Zandt who happens upon this thread... you’re musical and personal life experiences will be enhanced going forward if you take some time to explore his music.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    jamesmaya and mpayan like this.
  15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

:edthumbs:

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Anyone have this two-fer that was released in 2014? It’s a cd reissue of Townes Van Zandt’s first two albums. I already have these two titles as standalone releases, but might get this one just because. o_O
    [​IMG]

lonelysea likes this.
  17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’d guess that shares the same mastering as the Charly Texas Troubadour set, which sounds pretty good. I prefer the Omnivore remasterings of the titles they did, with the Fat Possum remasters coming in a close second.

jamesmaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.