Best sounding turntable you ever heard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

jupiterboy likes this.
  2. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I like a man who can admit that! I have a collection of head slappers going back years! :biglaugh:

3. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Hell, I'd do it just to eliminate the dang junction box and big loop of JMW wire connecting to it -- one thing that has always prevented me from trying a VPI table. Does the tonearm hole go all the way through to the bottom of the plinth, though, so there's a place for the cable to exit? Otherwise, you'd have to jury rig some kind of riser with a space underneath. It's just in the nature of free enterprise to design your tables so as to discourage people from using anybody else's arms. :)

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Basis Audio Inspiration with Superarm 9.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

VPI Scoutmaster

6. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. I traded in my Classic 1 for my Aries 3.
    2. The Classic 3 and the Aries 3 share the same arm and are ~$6K.
    3. You won't notice the difference until you listen to an Aries 3
    4. I like the looks of the Aries better also, which probably factors into my loving.

My system is what you call warm, CJ, Vandersteen, Audioquest Crystal cables which are all balanced out via the Morrow cables which are neutral. For a tad bit of warmth in the phono section I swap out the Morrow cables with the Straightwire Maestros. If I get really warmth crazy, I swap out my Golden Lion tubes (love those tubes) with a set of CV4004's.

M~

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It would be my VPI Classic or my KAB MG5(MN Bearing) - both are the finest tables that I've heard and enjoy very much.

8. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I have a VPI classic 1 that is tweaked out a little. Between the Stillpoints and the ET2.5 arm, I am just amazed.
    Tim

9. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

Its not the best I've heard but the Rega RP-10 w/Apheta for $6500.00 is my favorite, it is so close to the best in SQ yet is simpler and easier to use and costs a fraction of the price of the best.

10. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

11. Kevin Gray's cutting lathe.

McLover likes this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My good friend and fellow SHer 'earwax' has a VPI JW19 with a Benz Micro, and that's the sound I hold up as my standard.

That said, my Thorens TD-124 with SME 3009 is no slouch, and I presently have an Acoustic Research AR-TX (early AR-XA) in the process of being extensively modded/restored by Marc Morin. That AR should be pretty amazing when it's done.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

:drool:

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

For me it has got to be anything by SME! I think that they look the part and are built to a very high standard of construction. Some have commented that they lack emotion but that may be down to the fact that they are very neutral and uncoloured sonically? Sonics apart, I think they impart great pride of ownership. My current SME is the 20/2 but sooner or later I'll upgrade to the 20/3, see link http://www.sme.ltd.uk/content/Model-202-1315.shtml

15. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

the first time I heard a VPI HW19 Mark III with an ET2 air-bearing tonearm - this was many years ago - I was blown away.

I've since heard better - the VPI HW19 Mark IV with a SME309 and my very own VPI Aries 1 turntable with a JMW 10.5i tonearm.

Gee, sounds like I need to get out more and listen to something besides a VPI ;)

16. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Kuzma Stabi M with 4-Point arm and Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s. Amazing.

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I bought that table/arm combo recently, but sadly, I don't have a working cartridge yet. The Kuzma CAR-50 cartridge was defective and I'm awaiting a replacement.

18. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Let us know how that sounds....these new cartridges look very interesting. Having to look at your table without being able to play it is an exercise in ZEN :)

19. I've heard plenty of good TT's through the decades, but there isn't one that I felt blew any others away. Now, I haven't listened to any of the uber-expensive ones, but certainly many in the around $10,00-$25,000 range. The one I keep coming back to is the Oracle Delphi Mk VI and part of that is due to its aesthetic appeal for me. I do have 2 friends that have the MkII and MkIV, so I'm familiar with them. Both of those came equipped with SME arms, while the MkVI has a carbon Project 9c. I would be very happy to one day get lucky enough and call one of them my own.

20. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

The most striking sounding turntable I have ever heard was the Elite Rock. The shop I worked in in the late 80s sold it and it lived up to the name, with its heavy plinth, thick platter and front supported arm it sounded something special. I think they still make versions today...

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Max Townshend - the front-mounted damping trough was strange but effective.

22. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm quite a Linn LP12 fan, but I did hear the best turntable I've ever heard just a month or so ago. It's a TechDAS Air Force 2. Heard it with Wilson Sasha 2s and pair of d'Agostino monoblocks, and also with Constellation monoblocks/pre-amp. All with Transparent Opus cables and god knows what else expensive stuff. It was just incredible. The closest I've been to hearing the band in the room. It was almost indistinguishable. Oh, turntable price seems to start around $80,000, which I think is just the turntable without arm or cartridge (?). There's a separate vacuum pump too.

[​IMG]

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The TechDAS Air Force 1 is a little more impressive from an overall design - more elegant. I have not heard the model 2.

24. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

The Townshend Rock 7--still under consideration for my TT upgrade later this year!

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The best I've heard "live" are the Rockport at Battery Studios (Sony Music) and a Walker Audio at a Stereophile show years ago. I also heard the expensive Continuum at a show, and while it sounded fine, it didn't wow me as much as the other two. The Rockport sort of reminds me of listening to tape (which is very impressive to me), and the Walker just sounded beautiful.

A friend who lives at a distance has a VPI Aries 3 with a Graham arm which I've only heard through transfers (including some 24 bit A/D converted with an Ayre), and from I can tell from transfers is really really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.