Best Sounding Version of Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Mar 22, 2016.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Youtube sound aside...to me this is the real deal. Hard to accept much else after hearing the real deal..

2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

So has nayone tallied just how many distinct masterings there are?

3. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

i still prefer the mono version 1959 i made myselft a video in my youtube chanel, of the mono vinyl riped hear for yourselft so what:

kind of blue Miles Davis original mono

mpayan likes this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

No, not a fold - it's a new mono remix from the 3-track session tape, whereas the original mono LP was cut from the 1st gen mono session tape.

CBS NY in 1959 ran both full-track mono and 3-track tape machines, each with their own signal paths.

latheofheaven and rxcory like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

What do I care? I’m not trying to play along :laugh:

Seriously though, Kind Of Blue, The Doors S/T, the early Bee Gees albums, pretty much anything by the Mamas & Pappas, etc. is all wickedly off pitch and yet they all sound so right. I have a mono 6-eye and a 1971 stereo repressing and both of those are my go-to copies, even over my MFSL 45 (which sounds excellent in its own right). I have never once thought about which side is off pitch while playing it because the music sounds so fantastically involving.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I use to be more a fan of the mono. That stereo clip I referenced changed my mind. I should say that stereo clip from a first pressing. It just has a lot of life and bite to it.

Listening and comparing again, imo, the presence and detail of the bass and piano together at the beginning is much better in tonality with the stereo lp.

latheofheaven, Bobsblkwax and HDOM like this.
  7. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

understand but i like more the speed of the mono in the beguining and the drum and cymbal sound at minute 1:30 sound more concentrate to me the way i like it; anyway both are great just everybodys taste is different, i also listen to the stereo (hdversion) version i have both

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    mpayan likes this.
  8. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert

Best sounding CD 35 DP or the MFSL CD sounds better than the LP Edition. Another go to is the 50th anniversary SBM CD
    Best Sounding LP: is the Classic Quiex SVP, my second go to is the original 59 6 eye the earliest versions they say you can hear the mistakes in the recording.

sami, ted209 and kiddo4 like this.
  9. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Im more interested, if possible to the mono versions, but the cd original mono didnt like so much i guess for now is the mono hdtracks;

I dont know any other mono that beat this one exept the 1959 mono needle drop, but is a needle drop, no realy my go, but i guess i have no choice:mad:

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I have never heard a bad sounding Kind of Blue. So maybe the best is the one you are listening to :)

Tim

11. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

I bet another remaster is on the way:shh:

Ps the nono mother lackers must me somewhere? The album was mastered using mono microphones:D

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

For digital:

original mono mix: Mono box CD or HDtracks download
    original stereo mix (not speed corrected): 35DP 1st Jpn pressing
    original stereo mix (speed corrected): Mastersound Gold CD
    first stereo remix: Sony SACD
    2nd stereo remix: HDTracks download
    multichannel mix: Sony SACD

13. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Is the mono HDTracks download the original mono mix? I may be mistaken, but I thought I read that it technically wasn't (although mixed with the intention to replicate the original mono mix as closely as possible).

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

No mention of the MFSL SACD?

You're right, technically it's a remix.

Edmoney and George P like this.
  15. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

the mono hi-re is also my number one now, exept the mono needle drop that is nr1 with headphones :love:

ps. i made a tread there i make the sound comparitions of this album, for those interesting

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I haven't heard the MFSL SACD. I am happy with the Sony SACD for the 1st stereo remix/multichannel mix.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I purchased the recent (2010 stereo) Sony/Legacy vinyl of Kind Of Blue at Barnes And Noble yesterday, and I'm really pleased with this pressing......it's flat, clean, and well packaged. I'm loving the sonics on this one, as I'm on my third listen. I was able to get 25% off the sticker which put me under $20. If your looking for a nice alternative to the pricey Columbia 6- eye, Classic, or MFSL, I recommend.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  18. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Is it the blue vinyl one? I hear that ones quite good.

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

No, it's black.

20. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

I've been good with the stereo legacy CDs. What would be a step up digitally?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

There are good versions of it in blue vinyl, it's the Classic Records ones. There are 2 version 180g and 200g version. The 180g version is actually more rare than the 200g version. Classic used blue vinyl for the test pressing of the 180g cut. They had the blue pellets, so they decided to run about 100 of them. I know this because I bought the 180g version, it was only available from Classic Record's website. When the reneged limiting the blue vinyl edition and released a 200g version, they actually sent an apology letter. It included a decal that that stated read something like "Classic Records 180g". You were supposed to put it on your copy. I can't remember exactly. What makes the 180g Blue vinyl special, is that they are actually the earliest Classic Records pressings of the corrected speed versions. Classic considered them test pressings, then decided to just sell them. I don't have the record anymore. I used it as part of a trade to get the Led Zeppelin Road Case at a discounted price. I included the letter and the decal as provenance for the record. I never opened it, so I felt had to provide some proof of what the pressing was.

If you look at Discogs, they have the pressings all messed up. They list the 180g as being released in 2002. This is wrong and it's obvious because Classic also repressed 200g black in 2002. The 200g was limited to 500 copies.

I have too many copies of this album. I still have a couple of versions of the Classic releases. I have the Slipcase Sony SACD and the MoFi 45 rpm. I also have Kevin Grey mastering on blue vinyl, it was an Amazon 2016 Prime Day exclusive. Before anyone asks, these all sound really good. I think my had would spin if I ever tried to do a comparison. If you were looking for a good copy, I would suggest buying the SACD if you want digital, MoFi if you are into flipping discs, and the earliest Classic if you want both corrected and uncorrected. If you just want a corrected speed version, get the Classic 200g. If you like swapping record, Classic had the Single Sided 45 rpms. And I guess, if you can't afford or find those get the Kevin Grey cut.

wwright, nosliw and slainte like this.
  22. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Is the dsd version from any of these 2 sources?

23. Audiophile from SG

Audiophile from SG Member

Erm.. what is the best digital version of Kind Of Blue cos' I don't really like crackles and pops and clicks and hiss...

24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

HD Tracks Mono

25. I cant find the Kevin Grey master for this album. Can anyone point me in the right direction. ? Please