Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sweet irony....I was going to post this question earlier in the day but never got around to it. Now I read that Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" is going to be a future MFSL title in 2008.

Still, my question to the forum is: is there a consensus for the best sounding cd version of the album? I used to have the regular U.S. release but sold it and replaced it with the 2-cd Deluxe Edition. I really like the earlier "Detroit" mix plus the live stuff is a nice bonus, so I wouldn't part with it. Just looking to get the best sounding version of the original album.

Is there any OOP or foreign pressing we should know about that definitively sounds better before plunkiing money down on a not-even-released- yet MFSL?

Thanks to all!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This question comes up quite a bit, and you will get a lot of opinions. My opinion is the Deluxe Edition, which includes the "Detroit" mix, which is, the original mix that didn't meet with Motown's approval.

Apart from most of the forum, I think the sound quality is stellar! I highly recommend it.

I can't wait to hear MoFi's version. They haven't disappointed me yet.

Greg Gee, EVOLVIST and Durm like this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The 1994 Lurssen remaster is my favorite, but the 2001 isn't bad either, and it's worth having for the Detroit mix and the concert on disc 2. I'm curious to know how much of an improvement (if any) the MFSL will be over what's already out there.

4. scocs

How does the 1994 remaster compare to the 2001? Is there a rare Japanese first pressing that wipes the floor with both of 'em??

slainte likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's the best one imo. His mastering of Let's Get It On and The Master (box set) are essential. These sound fantastic...definitely crankable too :)

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Where did you read this?

I checked Mo-Fi's website and couldn't find anything there. :confused:

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Apparently it's in the Music direct catalog.

MFSL titles for 2008 release

8. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

It's listed in the latest Music Direct catalog. I, for one, will looking forward to this release especially vinyl if available. I have the Deluxe Edition and it's worth the price for the Detroit mix and bonus tracks. Though I still have the John Matousek-mastered 1st edition Motown CD, I never compared the 2. And neither can match my 30+ year old German heavy vinyl of the album.

9. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I'm partial to the 1994 Lurssen mastering as well. I don't know of anything prior to that version that sounds better, but you never know. The 1994 version is easier to find, that's for sure.

10. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

I prefer the 2001 Deluxe Edition remaster with the released and "Detroit" mixes.It sounds stunning.

11. scocs

Sorry to keep pestering, but is there anyone out there who's a/b'd both the 1994 and 2001 cd versions?

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I did years ago. I preferred the '94. Lurssen has a "dark" mastering style... very warm and fuzzy. That's what I liked about it.

I might feel differently now, but I kind of doubt it. :shh:

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

My favorite is the 1993 remaster, Motown 530 022-2. It has no mastering credits and no bonus tracks.

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Any love for the What's Going On/Let's Get It On two-fer disc? I believe this was the first CD release of this album (in the states, anyway). I recently found a used copy cheap, and I have to say it sounds pretty good. Although, I haven't A/B'd it with the Deluxe edition (the only other copy I currently have). If I'm not mistaken, the two-fer was later split up and the albums were sold individually, but with the same mastering.

I see used copies of the 1994 version floating around quite regularly. I used to own it, but I dumped it when the Deluxe edition came out (back when I was young and foolish and did such things!) I'm guessing I wasn't the only one, which is probably why I see so many used copies around! I may just have to pick it up again.

Truth be told, I don't think I've ever really heard a "bad" sounding CD version of this album...

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

If this is the UK version...I am all in agreement...nothing else comes even remotely close...

17. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i've never been too impressed by the Gavin Lurssen CD. but i listen to the Detroit mix way more anyway.

18. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have a CD with the same catalogue number as yours but there is no mention of 1993. I have a feeling my version is a little earlier but I may be wrong. Matrix number is 530 022-2 01. Great sound but this is the only version I have heard. Does it have the same peak levels as your 1993 version?

Track 1 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 2 Peak level 96.0 %
    Track 3 Peak level 72.6 %
    Track 4 Peak level 96.1 %
    Track 5 Peak level 77.5 %
    Track 6 Peak level 69.8 %
    Track 7 Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 8 Peak level 73.8 %
    Track 9 Peak level 96.8 %

19. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Here are the peak leves of the "Motown 530 022-2" CD from 1993. Matrix number is 530 022-2 03.

Track 1 Peak level 97.2 %
    Track 2 Peak level 97.2 %
    Track 3 Peak level 90.3 %
    Track 4 Peak level 97.1 %
    Track 5 Peak level 91.4 %
    Track 6 Peak level 85.9 %
    Track 7 Peak level 89.6 %
    Track 8 Peak level 74.9 %
    Track 9 Peak level 92.0 %

20. The Deluxe Edition blows chunks, it's screechy and horrible,
    rare content completely aside.

The original What's Going On/Let's Get It On two-fer disc is lovely.
    It's just not cut very loud. It's warm and never comes close to clipping.
    Great front-to-back depth. That anyone would prefer the Deluxe Edition simply
    amazes me. The two-fer cd had the original tape & vinyl sound, and
    everything after that got further and further away from "the truth".

KipB, mds and George P like this.
  21. Dr. Merkwürdigli

22. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Thanks. Seems to be different from the version I have.

23. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

A flat transfer of the master tape should sound pretty good.

The album was mixed and spliced together in an afternoon by my friend Larry Miles who takes a pretty conservative approach to audio. The vinyl was a pretty good representation of what I remember from working on the sessions in Detroit.

24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The question is, then, which CD version sounds the closest to a flat transfer! Do you have a preferred digital version, by any chance?

Ultimately, of course, it comes down to listener preference, but I'm always curious what the preferences are for those who were actually there in the studio at the time.

25. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Does anyone know if the 1994 remaster by Gavin Lurssen is available by retail anymore (like in Canada, or?), or is it completely OOP?

Thanks,
    Kevin