Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

As far as I can tell, since I own three different CD masterings and an original vinyl pressing, it appears that a totally satisfactory mastering has yet to be done.

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I do recall him saying that the John Matousek masterings sound like the master tapes. In other words, unfutzed-with. That's why I prefer John's work over any of the other stuff I've heard to date. Except for the Hitsville box, because it was tube-mastered from the original mono single tapes and done very well and it has some bass. Matousek's mono single masterings sounded just fine to me until Hitsville came along.
    [​IMG]
    This one (1987 Motown 3746354982) by Matousek is all mono mixes and has a few hits that aren't on the Hitsville box. SQ is excellent except it's a little bass-shy like all his work.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm happy with the 1993 UK disc I just got. Would I mind if it had a little more bass? No. :)

Later I'm going to compare it with the common tracks on the 1995 Gaye Anthology, because I think I prefer the Gavin Lurssen mastering there.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Got a link to the Hitsville box? And was their just one issue/mastering of it?

And the 59-71 or the 72-92 is mastered like that?

(My apologies to the OP for the off topic comment.)

5. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I just listened to the song "What's Going On" from the Compact Command Performances, 1986 two-fer, and 1994 remaster in the black slipcase. The two-fer and Compact Command Performances versions sound almost identical though the waveforms are not, but they are about the same in volume. The 1994 has been EQ'd with a bass boost and is about 5.6db louder than the other two. I'd say the 1986 two-fer and CCP are the same source. The 1994 could be the same source, but EQ'd and perhaps sightly compressed/limited.

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Quoting my comment to update it: WGO from the "Compact Command Performances" and from the two-fer sound very similar in EQ, but after closer listening, the CCP version does sound like it is from a superior source than the one from the two-fer.

7. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Hitsville volume 1:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitsville-USA-Singles-Collection-1959-1971/dp/B000006NUW/

Volume 2:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitsville-USA-Singles-Collection-1972-1992/dp/B00004U04R/

I think both sets are essential for anyone who is a fan of Motown. Volume 1 is more essential, in my opinion. All mono, tube-mastered, one classic hit after another. It covers the "classic" years, while Volume 2 covers the era where the label was on the decline. (don't get me wrong, there's still a LOT of great stuff on there)

Look around the forum - there are plenty of threads discussing the Hitsville sets

rxcory likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, so Vol 2 is not tube mastered?

9. Monosterio

If I'm reading the above posts correctly, there's a good chance the 1993 UK disc with 01 in the matrix and the Matousek MCC mastering are one and the same. If that's the case, I probably paid a little more than I would have for the Matousek, but at least the artwork looks nicer. :)

10. Monosterio

I don't have that second box, but I can't find a single mention anywhere that it was tube-mastered.

11. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

Tube mastered but that old Ampex doesn't sound nearly as good as the Studer C37s we used. At least they used the right tapes. Stereo mixes were an afterthought until around 1968.

12. Monosterio

So the second Hitsville box was also tube mastered?

13. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

It sounds to me like Bob was referring to the first box (based on the "1968" date he mentions, since the 2nd box started at 1972).

The second box, to me, has more of a "later" Inglot/Hersch sound (just a bit more treble and slightly less "analog" sound). If it is tube mastered - which I doubt - it definitely uses different equipment than the 1st box.

14. Monosterio

That's the impression I'm getting too--first box only.

15. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

I'm talking about the Detroit box which is the records I worked on. I guess that's the first.

16. Monosterio

Thank you, Bob.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

He was a beast with the Raiders. :righton:

You Better You Bet likes this.
  18. Monosterio

Can anyone who has the '94 Lurssen remaster in the black slipcase please post the peak levels for that CD? I know the '98 CD reportedly has the same mastering, but for my purposes here I'd like to get a reading on the '94 only. Thanks.

19. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

So none of those two-fers are very good, or at least from good sources? I thought those were well thought of. I believe there are some Al Green and other Marvin Gaye albums as part of that two-fer series that are well thought of.

20. Monosterio

They are well thought of, despite not being sourced from the original master tapes. Or at least the Gaye What's Going On/Let's Get It On twofer is well-regarded, and I have a DeBarge one that sounds good too. I don't know about any of the other Motown twofers, though.

If I wrote something earlier that suggested the twofers don't sound good, please disregard it.)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  21. Monosterio

I'm still interested in this, in case anyone with the '94 What's Going On CD can provide this info. Thanks.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I'll have that for you in 10 mins. :wave:

Monosterio likes this.
  23. I scored this US-pressed LP on my vacation for $12. Huge, warm & very holographic sounding. Marvin's voice is unreal. Can't imagine it sounding any better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Is that a reissue? Original? Can you post matrix info, etc?

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Booklet says mastered by Gavin Lurssen

Track 1
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 2
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 3
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 4
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 5