Best Stoner Bands from the 90's and beyond who actually play 70's classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebread

thebread New Member

I'm a fan of this genre but I dislike the term 'stoner rock'... too many different styles get lumped together.
    I read through all the posts and ill try to avoid listing bands already mentioned. Per the OP here's some stuff that brings the 70s sound.

Three more 'well known' bands that haven't been mentioned yet are Kadavar, Witch(their S/T is great), and Colour Haze. IMO Kadavar may be the poster boys for this throw back style.

Digging deeper heres a few more that may work for ya.

Slow Season (ripping Zep worship with enough originality to keep you interested)
    http://5low5ea5on.bandcamp.com/album/mountains

Fogg (someone described them as a doomy Amboy Dukes... also very lo fi sound so avoid if you are looking for polish)
    http://fogg.bandcamp.com/album/death

Mondo Drag (I can't recommend their S/T enough.... prog laced psych that's well done)
    http://mondodrag.bandcamp.com/album/mondo-drag

Moon Curse (Do you dig the riffs, man?)
    http://mooncurse.bandcamp.com/album/moon-curse

zphage likes this.
  2. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Never heard these guys. That's top shelf stuff. Singer sounds like Steve Marriott. It has a real authenticity to it, they gotta be from Sweden.

3. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

While were on the subject of Trouble, I'll add Blackfinger and The Skull to the mix.

ifihadafish and Redhat220 like this.
  4. thebread

thebread New Member

Kadavar

Strummergas likes this.
  5. thebread

thebread New Member

6. Redhat220

I think heavier bands are influenced more by Black Sabbath than any other band in rock and roll history. It's a bold statement but I think it holds true.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  7. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding me, I remembered the album but couldn't remember the name of the band, I have their S/T

Redhat220 likes this.
  8. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Without a doubt Firebird, I have everything they've put out. A shame they disbanded.

ifihadafish likes this.
  9. Redhat220

I didn't know they broke up. I know Bill Steer did a record with Gentlemen's Pistols but I hadn't heard anything else since then.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  10. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

The Brought Low

11. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Yeah not sure what the deal is but Firebird was really an amazing band in that vein.

Redhat220 likes this.
  12. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't know what a "stoner band" is, far as I know music is music whether done by someone who imbibes or someone who abstains.
    Of bands who came along after rock but got the whole rock era sound down pat, the Black Crows are very convincing and the more recent stuff by Chris Robinson Brotherhood sounds like stuff that could have been done during rock. So does what little I have heard by Rich Robinson.
    I don't really know of either of them smoke pot or not. I am certain some of their fans do, simply because such a large segment of the populace in general does.

13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I grew up in the 70's - we got stoned to just about everything.

So, it's funny to read that this is now a defined genre.....

SuntoryTime and Redhat220 like this.
  14. Redhat220

The whole "stoner" thing is bogus in my opinion. I do think it is a genre that is different but similar to modern retro 70's bands. It was started by Monster Magnet and Kyuss. Some idiot started calling it "Stoner Rock" probably because a lot of people who listened to the music and the bands themselves liked to smoke weed. Then a little later when the 70's retro band thing kinda took off, somehow it ended up under the stupid umbrella of this stupid genre category called 'Stoner Rock." There actually is a clear distinction musically between "Stoner" rock and "Retro" rock. The retro stuff sounds like most of what we now call "Classic" Rock that is played ad nauseum all the time on the radio. And I don't care who is smokin' weed or not. It's all about the music, and I think the "Stoner Rock" term actually undermines the credibility of the music, in either category. I mean really, are you going to call Led Zeppelin "Stoner Rock?" It's semantical sophistry.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  15. Redhat220

See my comments above. So did I.

16. Erik Tracy

Ok, but I can tell you - when we got 'stoned' as the term was actually used back then, it was to practically any rock music....except you know that AM Casey Kasem stuff...:D

17. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Lol back then it wasn't stoner rock, it was just rock! What bleepin happened?

Redhat220 and Erik Tracy like this.
  18. Erik Tracy

Anyway - my bad for intruding and sidetracking the thread.

I've actually enjoyed some of the vids posted - gotta check 'em out!

Redhat220 likes this.
  19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think perhaps it is because in youth human beings have a tendency to want to be a part of something. They want to feel part of an acceptable ( acceptable by not being socially acceptable, a bit of a paradox) peer group.
    So you either become a "stoner" or the peer group that doesn't like "stoners". Or a "hipster" ( whatever the hell that is) or someone who hisses at "hipsters".
    Which to me was a bit puzzling when I was young, I was always a hippie ( by default, I grew up poor and my hair was already too long and my clothes had patched holes before those things were considered "cool") but I resented any notion that I had to either live up to some stereotype or be the enemy of it. I bathed, didn't recreationally use drugs until after the whole "hippie' thing was over, and liked whatever music I liked and didn't care who else did or not. And I didn't feel obligated to talk like Cheech and Chong.
    That kind of thinking has always been a bit outside my comprehension boundaries.

20. Redhat220

Thanks bro I will check these out. Check out my comments above about the whole "Stoner" category.

21. Redhat220

Very well put. We're all individuals. Not groups. And music is universal, not sectioned off to certain groups of people, whatever their differences may be. But society always has to divide people into groups. And unfortunately, music is no different.

22. Stryking

Stryking Member

Although it's not a part of the genre, Graveyard is a super under appreciated band. Sounds like classic 70's hard rock with their own bit thrown in.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Wolf People with their Tull/Blodwyn Pig influenced sound

zphage and Strummergas like this.
  24. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

No doubt, was just thinking that when I was listening to the new Monolord.

25. Redhat220

Of course, and that's one of the reasons the terminology is idiotic. Of course during the 70's smokin' weed went hand in hand with listening to your favorite rock band's records. It was the nature of those times. But it's 2015, and I know some people are still smokin' and all, but it's just not a part of the cultural fabric like it was back then. So here again, it implies you are a burnout wasteoid if you like to listen to anything like the 70's hard rock stuff. What's even more ironic is I can walk into just about any grocery store, and hear songs I used to get baked to 30 years ago. So it's perfectly acceptable to hum along to Double Vision while you are picking out some fresh tomatoes in the produce department. It's a paradox I just can't wrap myself around.

thebread likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.