Best Stoner Bands from the 90's and beyond who actually play 70's classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Love the first album.

2. Redhat220

Some clown decided to call you a stoner for listening to it years later....

Om likes this.
  3. Rev. MIke

Rev. MIke Well-Known Member

It may not be underground enough for all the obscure bands redhat knows about, but the second Uncle Acid album was done on vintage gear and sounds great. I was not as crazy about the follow up.

Dreadnought likes this.
  4. Redhat220

Sounds like a chick singing. Am I wrong? I don't mean that as a putdown or anything. Love the name of the band.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  5. Redhat220

And one of the best of all.....The Atomic Bitchwax.. doing a Pink Floyd cover, Their originals are great, too. I'm a total diehard fan of this band. You have to hear some of their instrumentals too. It's riff mania. They have an album called The Local Fuzz that is one 44 minute instrumental. And guess what, you never lose interest. If you like kickass musicianship, you have to hear this song at least once in your lifetime. Its like a hard rock version of Rush without the prog.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Strummergas, troyvod and old school like this.
  6. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Kevin R. Starrs, the guitarist & vocalist is a dude. Kat and Red, who played drums and bass on Blood Lust receptively are women, though, but neither of them sing.

I think Kevin's got a great, though unusual voice. Sort of a mix of John Lennon & Neil Young, with a trace of Stevie Nicks, if that makes any sense at all. He sounds even more androgynous/ambiguous on Vol 1.
    It's one album that literally sounds like it walked out of 1969, even though it was recorded in 2010.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. chodad

chodad Hodad

Raging Slab

ifihadafish and zphage like this.
  8. Redhat220

Yes good southern stuff...

9. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Yes!!! Insanely awesome live band

With that being said...

Scorpion Child. They had a 70's flavour to them.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

While these bands carried the "stoner" torch in the 90s and beyond, Blue Cheer (first two albums), Black Sabbath (first five albums) and Hawkwind especially, were the originators of this style of music. Without these early bands this genre would not exist today.

11. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Brant Bjork will always carry the 'stoner' tag for being a member of both Kyuss and Fu Manchu (and for being a stoner!) but most of his 10 records as a leader are pure '70s rock.

FJosh likes this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

13. old school

old school Senior Member

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Kick *ss! Jason check the bass out.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

People divide themselves up into groups by appearance, behavior, and general lifestyle. Then get pissed when society in general categorizes the group they have latched onto in ways other than they imagine themselves to be.
    Sadly it is far more interesting for someone to just be who they are rather than latch onto a social group for dear life, or a just add water political ideal, or a religion.
    Thankfully musicians, rebellious lot they sometimes are, sometimes reject all of that.

Agent of Fortune and Redhat220 like this.
  17. Redhat220

I agree with Blue Cheer and Hawkwind kicking off the stoner stuff, but not Sabbath. The other two bands have a bit of a psych element to them. The only Sabbath album I hear that on is Volume 4.

18. Agent of Fortune

I'd say that Master of Reality does have at least a couple of stoner-type elements to it. Sweet Leaf, anyone? It's often cited as the invention of Sludge Metal, and, to me, at least, by extension Stoner Rock/Metal, as well. Well, actually, Blue Cheer probably did it first, but.....

Platterpus likes this.
  19. old school

old school Senior Member

I think Black Sabbath did more kicking off the Stoner stuff with Master of Reality. I think there are two genres of Stoner, Psych/Doom and Stoner/Doom.

20. Redhat220

You left out Stoner/Retro as a subgenre. But yeah, Sabbath is the number one influence on the doom scene. And there is a lot of good new doom out there too.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes there is. There are many subgenres I did leave out Retro/Stoner and one other very important one Acid/ Psych Doom.

22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Dungen

It gets real good at the 2:30 mark:

23. Redhat220

Anyone on here like Big Elf? Cross between The Beatles, Atomic Rooster and Sabbath. Great vocals and Hammond Organ. Big time retro sound.

old school and ifihadafish like this.
  24. Agent of Fortune

I've heard of them, I thoroughly dig them, but unfortunately I don't have anything by them (their CDs are a little pricey for my student budget). They'd kind of slipped my mind for a bit there, so thanks for reminding me.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  25. old school

old school Senior Member

Great band saw them live back in 1997 a couple times. Damon Fox is super talented. In my opinion ' Hex' is there best album.

ifihadafish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.