Best Stoner Bands from the 90's and beyond who actually play 70's classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I love Uncle Acid dearly. I just wish they wouldn't compress the crap out of their recordings. I get that they are supposed to sound like a garage band with the needles constantly in the red, but then to master their stuff the way they do as well just hurts my head. The LPs are a little easier to take than the CDs though...

2. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

The 'Runaway Girls' single was pleasantly dynamic, and the DR readout & overall sound of Mind Control shows a promising direction...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/45127

They've been hinting at a new album for 2015...I hope it's another step forward (or backward?) in the mastering department. I do dig the lo-fi thing, but Blood Lust could have done it better...far too bright. At least the distortion on there seems to be all analogue.

Of course, a proper vintage-style (60s-70s) production job is ideal for this sort of thing. Kadavar did it pretty well on their S/T, I thought (hard left guitar, hard right drums & bass guitar, vocals in the center).

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  3. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Since they didn't become a band until 2000 and release an album until 2005 that would be a difficult match up.
    Excerpts from the bio on the band's website:

The Muggs formed in February of 2000.

In October 2000, the Muggs recorded their first EP demo so that they had something to play bar owners to get gigs.

They were signed by indie label Times Beach Records in August 2004, and on July 19th, 2005 the Muggs released their eponymously titled first album in stores nationwide and distributed it overseas.

The band has enjoyed opening for countless classic rock and various national acts including Mountain, Robin Trower, Cactus, Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple/Black Sabbath, Johnny Lang, Candlebox, North Mississippi Allstars, the Verve Pipe, Electric Six, & the Detroit Cobras. Their popularity continues to grow, as exhibited by their making the "100 HOT Unsigned Bands" list in Music Connection in December 2008, and by their over 86,000 fans on myspace.com and fast-growing facebook following.

We are pleased to announce our new studio album, Straight Up Boogaloo, will be available for purchase in CD/Vinyl/Downloads on Saturday March 21st, 2015.

Just finished listening to their first LP this morning. Some nice tunes, decent riffs, good energy. They're OK......

4. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Forum Resident

The Sheepdogs

Odieman and southamorican like this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I've seen Graveyard 3-4 times and they're great.
    This is another band from my neck of the woods that always put up a good drunken/stoned show.
    I have their record on vinyl, bought at the first show I saw

6. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

The LEAF HOUND album Growers Of Mushrooms from 1971 kicks up a bit of a storm.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

A lot of "Stoner" bands are guilty of this.

8. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Thats the first time I've heard Finn sing and he did an excellent rendition of that song, one of my favourites, TAB just came out with a new one Gravitron

9. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

That album is a classic, definitely influential on the Stoner genre.

10. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

That's sort of the point of the "Stoner" genre, in the 70's no one called them stoner bands but in the 90's bands sort of started as an homage to the 70's bands and the genre started called Stoner and Doom. The Kyuss and Fu guys were huge Sabbath fans, and then there's Electric Wizard of course, the heaviest band on the planet and maybe elsewhere.

11. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I know I keep shouting about them but Baleful Creed :edthumbs:

For fans of Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains and other like minded bands.

ifihadafish likes this.

12. US< Santa Cruz, Ethan Miller from Comets on Fire

Stones Blah and GodShifter like this.
  13. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - Red Admiral Black Sunrise

Strummergas and Stones Blah like this.
  14. Greenleaf - Trails & Passes (2014)

15. Freedom Hawk - Sunlight

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Jex Thoth
    Iota/Dwellers
    The Want
    Sons of Otis
    Spiritual Beggars (first 3 albums)
    Firebird (Bill Steer band)

ifihadafish likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The 90's movement for sure. I'd say Monster Magnet, Kyuss, and Fu Manchu were the big three. Very influential bands. Saint Vitus, of course, from the 80's with their garage rock/Sabbath vibe and Candlemass, too, to an extent earlier than that. Wino's The Obsessed was a player, too.

Great thread with some good submissions (and some, sadly, off the mark).

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  18. It can be tough to decide, there are some bands that do the 70s bluesy vibe very well ala the Black Crowes, Howlin Rain, etc., then there are bands that are heavy, but not stoner, then there are stoner bands that are not retro, then there are the stoner bands that are not retro or heavy but more spacey and psychedelic (Gomer Pyle, White Hills, etc.,)

19. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I am very fortune to be able to say that I saw Kyuss live. I don't believe they toured very much in their original incarnation. Also prefer Welcome to Sky Valley over the often cited, but still great, Blues for the Red Sun. Saw Brant Bjork, Fu Manchu and BigElf mentioned earlier. Dig all that stuff as well.

Haven't see Blood of the Sun mentioned yet. They have a revolving door of vocalists, with Derek St. Holmes (of Ted Nugent) singing on most of their One More For the Ride record and the guys from Point Blank on the follow up, Burning on The Wings of Desire. Total 70s power rock, sounds like Deep Purple on steroids. Songs are catchy and the riffs are heavy. Unfortunately, the band seems dormant and has always had a poor Web presence, kind of adding a bit to the mystique.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-of-the-Sun/e/B001YDQL2S/ref=dp_byline_cont_music_1

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Glad to see you dig Jex Thoth! They never get enough attention.

Just got a brand new McIntosh amplifier, I'm on vacation this week and this thread is really inspiring me to dig out some stoner rock albums to give that amp a workout. After not being in the stoner frame of mind for the last few months.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. stefanmathiasson

stefanmathiasson Forum Resident

I didn't see Truckfighters mentioned anywhere. Great band from Örebro, Sweden.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  22. stefanmathiasson

stefanmathiasson Forum Resident

And a band from my old hometown, Gothenburg: Långfinger

zphage likes this.
  23. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Here's a deep track from the great Welsh stoner band Acrimony

zphage likes this.
  24. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Awesome stuff - got the vinyl ordered.
    Keep 'em coming folks - this thread will break me.

zphage likes this.
  25. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

cathedral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.