Best Test LP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WapatoWolf, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure this has been posted before but what is the best test lp out there? Especially for novices? Thanks all!!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The best test LP out there is the CBS Laboratories STR 100. But not the best for novices. the Shure Era III, Era IV or Era V are very recommended for most users.

The FRiNgE and Vidiot like this.
  3. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Don't tell me the CBS test records are still available ... surely long out of production ? Not trying to be sarcastic - I'd love it if I could still buy a new one! I have the Analogue Productions test record, the one with the lathe on the cover - and I found it useful although I have certainly not used it to its full potential. Other than this and the UK HI-FI News record (and some manufacturer specific ones), is there really anything else currently available new ?

4. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

The Hi Fi News LP is very good and straight forward to use.

Robert C, oregonalex, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I don't know about their availability. I am fortunate, I kept spare copies of the CBS STR 100. So, I have some unused copies in reserve.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I see them all over eBay, at least the STR-100. I never played mine more than 9 or 10 times, and I bought it brand-new in the 1980s. One can make an argument that the high-frequency response from 15kHz up gets wiped over time... which does bring into question how much frequency loss a mass-market LP pressing has. I generally used the pink noise track just to check RIAA alignment and VTA, plus tweaking stereo phase for perfect mono alignment (or at least as perfect as I could get).

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I got rid of at least 40-50 old test records in the last year, probably still have a bunch. I use the one that Chad K issues at Analogue Productions. Pretty straightforward.

LeeS likes this.
  8. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I actually found one, and bought it - mainly out of curiosity.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The test LPs are very useful. If nothing else, you can tell for a fact how good the RIAA decoding accuracy is in your preamp, what the response is out of the cartridge, if the levels between the two channels were matched (mine were off by about 3/4 dB), and the phase performance, which is critical, particularly at 10kHz and up.

It's very hard to tell any of this stuff with just a standard mass-market rock LP bought off the shelf. People make all kinds of judgement on the pressing, the mastering, and the recording, but unless you really check all the stuff in your own system, it's all guesswork.

Robert C and macdaddysinfo like this.
  10. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

What does anyone know about http://www.feickert.de/index.php?id=12

I came across this on Absolute Sound researching a way to digitally align your cartridge to get it perfectly aligned. Has anyone here paid the $300+ for the software and the disc?

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have the Platterspeed app on my iphone and test disc. Works really well. My speed on the VPI is almost dead on. It is really fun to see the speed graph.

12. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

That is great for speed / pitch but the Dr Feickert measures azimuth most important in my opinion goes hand and hand with speed.

13. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

Would you be willing to describe your process for checking phase with regard to azmiuth. I used to own Adjust+, but no longer. Also, my Audiomods arm makes azimuth adjustments a lot harder than say on a Trans-Fi Terminator.

Here is the Adjust+ paper on azimuth, any thoughts?

http://www.adjustplus.de/Download/AP_Azimuth_Compendium_english.pdf

"The optimal Azimuth can be found reliably using a systematic analysis of the values of level and phase angle of the crosstalk signal against different azimuth settings."

I wonder if part of the 103-R great success is manufacturing tolerance:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  14. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, I have the full Pro version with test record. Highly recommended. If there's anything you'd like to know, I'll try to help.

Doctorcilantro likes this.
  15. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

I picked it up and that's when I discovered my NovaPhonomena had a left channel valve problem so Michael is taking care of now.

jupiterboy and Doctorcilantro like this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Haven't bought it yet, but am considering. Used a borrowed audio dealer's copy and got partway with the installation/setup before discovering that the new cartridge I had just bought was defective and therefore the software wasn't measuring and producing results due to lack of proper signal. When I get my replacement cartridge I may have to pony up for this, because it is the best way to set azimuth and I have been told it gets incredible soundstaging/imaging results out of a good high-end cartridge.

17. Doctorcilantro

I had the Pro version which I think measures W/F as well? I'd probably drop $ for the Home Version next time.

Would be ironic to test your cart and find no azimuth offset needed...

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yes, but the pink noise and sweep seem to have issues. I use this one the most.

x2

19. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I like my Telarc Omnidisc. It's long OOP and hard to find, but it has served me well these many years.

20. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I don't know what W/F is but I'm sure Pro tests for it - it tests for everything! You can download the manual from the website which tells you everything it does in great detail. I have used it for azimuth testing and it's very interesting what you find but probably most of all I use it for testing the frequency response of my cartridges, or more precisely, for checking the effects of adjusting the loading. With adjustable loading and Adjust + Pro, you can get quite close to having whatever frequency response you want.

21. Doctorcilantro

Yes, it is a great tool. I will consider buying it again.

22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I have 2 test records........ A basic one and an advanced one......

The basic one is "Universal recording incorporated" (5-3-141)

One side is 33 and the other is 78 and it just goes thru different tones to see if you hear them all......

The advanced one (for someone more into it) is a "RCOA STEREO SYSTEMS TEST RECORD" (27012)

This 1 has all kind of different tests..... Integrity testing for your arm,cartridge tracking test,etc......

23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I trust my good old Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn In Record- it works fine for me...

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said mate !

25. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I have the Hi-Fi News. It would be great if the hole was perfectly centered. But it's way off on my copy. Looking for another test LP that doesn't require an oscilloscope. Would that be the STR-100?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.