Best time of year to sell used gear?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's time to sell some of my old gear that I'm not using any more. When is the best time of year to do that? How is it right now generally?

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Even though I'm not in the market I still check the used market sites fairly regularly, who knows when something irresistible will pop up. My take is right now prices are down unless the piece is in continual high demand.
    That said, my pat answer to this question is, the best time to sell is around tax refund time.

Checking Audiogon on Friday evening I saw an ad for Magnepan 1.6 speakers listed for $1.
    I opened the ad to see it was local. Took me 2 seconds to send my phone number saying I'm interested. I picked them up Saturday and am working on them now. They aren't perfect of course and need the crossovers rebuilt but for FREE what a deal.

highway chile and timztunz like this.
  3. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I think it depends on the particular piece of gear.....if it's something special someone had been looking for, time of year won't really matter to them. But if it's a whole table or other larger piece then perhaps tax time would be better. I guest post the ad for the price you want, regardless of the season.....that way you get what you want for it.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Resurrecting an old thread, I'd been considering this same question, more due to seasonality.

When is the time that people are looking to purchase used gear? For those of us in the northern half of the country, does summer make your system out of sight, out of mind? I hadn't considered the tax refund angle, but was thinking post-Labor Day (the official start to a new work & school year) and holiday shopping season.

I'm not looking for every last dollar, but don't want to settle for the first dollar or not have any buyers at all.

5. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

I'd avoid summer. Too many outdoor activities to sit indoors in the sweet spot.

timind likes this.
  6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'd avoid winter. Too many weather issues to drive anywhere to ship gear :)

7. For those markets affected by weather, I'd say it would be a sellers market in the winter and a buyers market in the summer. I personally listen daily in the winter and much much less in the summer months.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

For the UK, I'd typically avoid school holidays times - more people are on holiday and away from home then - likewise the run up to Christmas. Less spare cash flying around. Other than that, items ending on a Sunday seem to do well over here and I usually aim for something between 9-10pm.

9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

December

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.