Best Tonearms For Under $1K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudiophilePhil, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for the best sounding 10.5-inch tonearms for under $1,000.00 that I can use for my Technics SP-15.
    Most of the tonearms that I like is in the $2K to 4K range.
    There is a Japanese tonearm manufacturer that is selling for less than $1K and the name is Jelco. I found out that it is being partnered with Dr. Feickert Woodpecker turntable with Arche headshell.
    Do you have any experience using Jelco tonearms? I prefer tonearms with detachable headshell so that I can use an Arche headshell that has adjustable stylus rake angle.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I have a Jelco 12" SA-750L on my PolyTable. I'm not real great at "audiosplaining" tonearm differences but it is definitely a resolving, stout tonearm that is easy to use and set up with intuitive anti-skate, VTA, and removeable headshells. Very glad I decided on this table with this arm, no complaints whatsoever. Jelco has a very good history in the tonearm game. Arguably the value leader out there.

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  4. AudiophilePhil

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Urbs, H8SLKC, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

To those who have used and heard this tonearm, did you notice anything that compromises the sound of your analog rig?

6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Surprised to hear that Jelco's are under $1,000. They're a very nice tonearm.

7. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I'm lovin' my Jelco SA-750L 12":cheers:

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Under $500 for the popular 750D

Edit: Oh, I see under $500 link already posted above for 750E, but yes, if you want a good adjustable S-shaped tonearm that anyone can easily buy, they are just about the only game now.

H8SLKC and AudiophilePhil like this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Jelcos easily compete with tonearms many times their cost.

10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

11. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Jelco tonearms are high quality and very difficult to beat at their price.

13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

? Jelco arm is certainly more than enough for a technics SP-15. not sure what it would be a compromise in relation to.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

jelco arms come in 9, 10, and 12" lengths. there is no 10.5.

They are well made and rather simple, but effective. That headshell on the other hand scares me...

H8SLKC and AudiophilePhil like this.
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

That headshell interests me. Any good? or just cool looking?

16. AudiophilePhil

According to Absolute Sound,

"The Arché headshell allows standard adjustments for overhang and azimuth, but also includes an adjustment for the stylus rake angle (SRA) at the headshell. This SRA feature allows for more flexibility with tonearms that don’t have adjustable VTA at or near the pivot point of the ’arm. Additionally, if the tonearm seems to function best when the ’arm is closer to level, the Arché allows you to level it while at the same time providing SRA adjustment at the headshell. This feature can come in handy when using different cartridge/Arché-headshell combinations."

Here is a review from Audio Asylum.
    Vinyl Asylum: REVIEW: Acoustical Systems Arché - SRA Headshell Tone Arms by Stitch

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

And the Audiomods is good I'm told, but no 10.5". Do you have to have this length exactly?

18. AudiophilePhil

I will measure my current tonearm when I get home tonight and will post it later tonight.
    The tonearm I am replacing has mechanical problem. It was an old Technics tonearm EPA-100.

19. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I am also looking for tonearm (ahead of time, I don't have the funds at the moment), and your budget is similar to mine. I think I will go with the Audiomods best model unless something changes. It gets a lot of good reviews from those that have bought it.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Rather than focusing on tonearm length shouldn't you seek out something with an equivalent spindle-to-pivot mounting distance? For example, the EPA-100 looks to require a 235mm s-p distance, while the Jelco 750e is 240mm. It may be difficult to find an exact match, and you may have to reconfigure the mounting hole.

John K.

21. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I have a Jelco. No issues that I can discern. It was recommended by George Merrill, who built my AR.

22. blakep

blakep Senior Member

The Jelco 750 series are very good tonearms (I've used a 750D for 7-8 years now) at around the $500 USD price pointand can be improved further without a huge outlay so that they are probably pretty competitive with arms costing 2-3 X as much IMO.

The biggest weakness with the Jelcos, particularly if you are using a cartridge with a sophisticated or exotic stylus profile (more extreme line contacts, microridge, Van den Hul, Fritz Geiger, etc.) is the mounting collar which is a bit sloppy and prevents you from achieving accurate azimuth across the full width of a record. Ammonite Acoustics in the UK manufacture a custom collar for about $60-$65 USD that offers superior mounting and eliminates this problem. I use it and would recommend it if you are going to use a high quality cartridge with a better stylus profile.

I'm sure the Arche headshell is very good but at $700 USD it is a bit rich for me. The Jelco arms are all fully adjustable (although not on the fly) for VTA/SRA; I'm a set and forget guy-adjusting SRA for individual records takes the hobby too far into audiophile nervosa for me.

While the stock Jelco headshell is quite good (and fully adjustable for azimuth), it can be bettered considerably in the sonics department by the Yamamoto HS4 carbon fiber headshell at around $115 U.S.

So $500 U.S. for arm + $65 U.S. for custom collar + $115 for Yamamoto HS4 = $680 USD. Very tough to beat at 2-3 X the price and extremely versatile with the fluid damping of the Jelco also. You could also pick up a couple of extra HS4's if you were running multiple cartridges that would make cartridge swapping very convenient. Not likely you'd think of doing that with the Arche unless you have very deep pockets haha!

23. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

bluemooze and AudiophilePhil like this.
  24. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Look at the Acoustic Signature TA-500, 100% made in Germany. I replaced my Rega RB 202 with it and was a great upgrade.

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

That's a nine-inch arm with a much shorter mounting distance: 222mm (which is the same as the 202, which is why it was a drop-in replacement).

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.