Best tower speakers in the 2-3k range?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by atl1, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i assume i would want them configured in stereo cuz i just have an old fashioned setup (integrated amp, phono pre amp with power suppy, and turntable)

2. atl1

i listened to the sevens too, nothing special. i listened to some martin logans(forget which ones) with a folded tweeter and thought they sounded pretty good, but the cm9's were more up my alley

3. atl1

how do you run them through stereo anyway. just set them up with your amp?

also where are yours placed?

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have had three Martin Logan electrostatics (cheap ones) and have left them behind me. And now my main speakers are Rega RS3.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I use the REL method and use the speaker level input. Not the line level or the LFE.

6. atl1

so you would say cm9's are overall a good product?

7. atl1

as in "A or B or both"?

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Two subs cancel room nodes and Bass is not completely omni directional...

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

REL calls for speaker level input as apposed to line level or LFE. REL systems integrate with your main speakers easier. Possibly better. I think so.

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Series? The way they are wired will effect the impedance, and how they interact with the other speakers in the box.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

As directed By REL my T-3 is in a corner to make use of the longest room node. It goes against the directions from most other manufacturers but it seems to work! It pressurizes my listening room in a way that my Polk and PSB subs couldn't.

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Yes and I don't know a thing about that speaker, hence the ?

13. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would be interested to know as well.

14. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

That three tweeter array has been somewhat controversial. Whatever Mr. Alexander's motivation for his design choice, it works splendidly! I'm pretty sure he uses some kind of secret crossover/filter scheme to achieve the results that he does. I do know that the 10 inch drivers run full-range and gently hand off to the tweeters before going into break-up mode. Whatever he's doing, those tweeters are capable of the sweetest, most delicate highs I've ever heard. Utterly non-fatiguing. detailed and airy. I don't think that the tweeters are all firing exactly the same. I think the extra two tweeters serve some sort of a support capacity. Perhaps to avoid beaming? I'm not technically savvy enough to understand the inner workings of speaker design theories like the DIY speaker crowd does. He definitely has some unique design ideas and is in the eccentric genius camp. One of the coolest thing is, you can call him up and he will answer pretty much any question. Although some things he won't talk about unless you're willing to sign an NDA.

When I was shopping for full range speakers, I had a budget of up to $20,000. More than likely I would have probably gotten something around 10 to 15k, but I could have gone all the way to 20k if I had to! I took a chance on Tekton because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews and the price. Quite frankly, I didn't think they would live up to the hype. Not only did they, they actually surpassed my expectations by a great degree. Truly one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I auditioned some Vandersteen 7s a few months back, and while they sounded lovely (being fed with about a $100,000 worth of Ayre) and very "high-end", my Pendragon's are much more impressive overall.

audiorocks and beowulf like this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I listened to 7s and 2s at two afferent dealers and wasn't totally bowled over, though there was something about them that made me keep thinking about them. Then I found out that an acquaintance who used to have a storefront was still a dealer and was selling a lot of them. He convinced me to take a chance and try them at home. A totally different experience in a known system and room. But hey, I know everyone hears different and looks for what sounds good to them.

John K.

IanL likes this.
  16. thib

thib Forum Resident

I have Monitor Audio Gold GS20s which are the prior generation for the gold series but I think somewhat similar to the current generation silver RX8 for the home theatre and have GoldenEar Triton 2s in a 2 channel listening room. I have switched them out a couple of times for fun.

Bottom line - I love the GoldenEars and don't care much for the Monitors. They have a way bigger and more impressive soundstage, prodigious bass, can get quite sweet in the midrange when the recording calls for it and they never hurt my ears like the Monitors do when I turn it up. I think the Monitors are beautiful to look at and find the GoldenEars are kind of homely though.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting.

18. atl1

difference between lore's and enzo's? all this praise is making me interested.

19. T'mershi Duween

Quite a bit. There's a lot of reviews out there if you look. I am planning on getting a pair of Lores in Macassar Ebony next year! Here's a picture of the Lore S in Macassar Ebony:

[​IMG]

20. T'mershi Duween

I was surprised! I wouldn't mind hearing those Vandersteens in my own home though. :) I loved the Ayre gear. A bit price-y, but very elegant.

21. atl1

obviously you have a preference to tekton, but how would you compare b&w's cm9's to the enzo's if you could?

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would suggest Salk Songtowers. I've had a pair with the dome tweeter for close to three years. Salk speakers are made to order with many different finish options. The craftsmanship of the cabinets is incredible. When ordering you deal direct with Jim Salk and he will answer all questions and steer you towards the best speaker for your needs and budget. I'm very happy with the SQ and have no plans to upgrade unless I go further up the Salk line.

Bill

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  23. putz

putz Forum Resident

That's what happened to me. Songtowers for a couple of years until a pair of HT3s went up for sale locally. Piano Black and they still look great but Jim Salk's cabinet making skills are as good as it gets. Biggest differences between the HT3s and the Songtowers is the ribbon tweeter and the bass slam. When I had the Songtowers I did use a sub with them. Nice thing about the Songtowers is you can power them with tubes if you so desire.

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. atl1

now im intrigued by the tekton enzo's after reading some great reviews. anyone out there whose heard these and the cm9's?

25. T'mershi Duween

I haven't heard the Enzos. I have heard the CM9s quite a few times and I think they are way over-priced for the performance you get. Dealer mark-up? I know that they sound ok, not very detailed, kinda dark and closed-in. Plus they are very inefficient where the Tekton line is all about high sensitivity. Totally different speaker designs.

I think you would have to go up the line to the B&W 800 series to get near the performance of the Pendragons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.