Best Turntable for $400 ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Used Thorens TD 160.

tubesandvinyl and norman_frappe like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you buy new, I think the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is an excellent choice in your budget, though others have recommended the Rega P1 over it. Either table will benefit from an external power supply/speed control unit, which will run you another $100, give or take. And they will both require a phono pre-amp, or a phono input section on your receiver or integrated amp.

The Pro-Ject also will benefit from swapping out the stock felt mat for Herbie's Way Excellent Mat. Stupid name, great mat.

3. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident

Dare I say a Dual 1019? You'll have to sink some money into it (solid wood plinth, rewire the arm w/cardas litz, use a Denon DL-110, etc) and I agree, it's essential you purchase something like this carefully, but I love mine.

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

A Rega RP1 or Project would be a good starting point. I've had a few vintage tables and although they can sound great, decades old electronics can also be troublesome and for me, no longer worth the hassle.

ellingtonic and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Cheers :cheers:

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

My experience: If you buy restored vintage, there's no hassle. :wave:

Robert C likes this.
  7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I had thought your budget ruled out the possibility of either of these new. I decided on the Project Carbon Debut Esprit SB giving me most bang for buck entry turntable: acrylic platter, electronic speed control, 2M Red.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

I've got the Pro-ject with a speed box and an acrylic platter and am quite happy with it.

9. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I know you said you had a budget of $400 but unless you really know what your looking for it's going to be tough to find a good Technics SL12xx around that price range. The prices have skyrocketed since they discontinued them. I sold a modded 1210 Mk5 for $1400 not long ago.

I'd honestly look at saving a few more pennies and checking out the new Pioneer PLX-1000. That and add a Goldring cart to it. Those two match up like a champ. Check out KAB for the cart. He has some great prices and can probably offer you some great insight.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Here in Europe the MkII can be had for well under 400$. Ad a new spindle for 30$ and you can spin it for years and years, no need for a Mk5. And then upgrade if so desired.

Robert C likes this.
  11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

That may be the case if you buy in person, but oftentimes, modern shipping can easily "unrestore" vintage turntables unless the item comes in its original packaging (which is rare) and/or the seller is an expert at appropriate packing. Also, people who know practically nothing about working on turntables can claim to have "completely restored" them.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I couldn't resist. I have a soft spot for the birdies.
    -Bill

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This is the truth. When I purchased my 1210MK2 used just prior to the discontinuation announcements by Panasonic, I got it for $289. Now, I rarely see lightly-used-and-not-beat-up models going for under $500 on craigslist, or via Guitar Center used gear (where I got mine).

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Guitar Center is a very very bad place for me. I keep looking at that Slash Les Paul and one day I'm going to jack my credit card up. I'll stick with Strat and Taylor for now.

Whatever they did for that special version of LP not only does it look hot but plays like butter.

Bolero likes this.
  16. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I agree. Especially for anyone starting out

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

No so sure on that Pioneer though. It looks like it's just another re-badged Super OEM mass produced in China. If that's the case you can get almost the same thing for half the price Pioneer is asking. One example is the AT - LP1240:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP1240-USB-Direct-Turntable/dp/B007R9B0UQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406233376&sr=1-7&keywords=Audio-Technica turntable \

18. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Okay, then, your current turntable is similar to the Numark PT-01 I owned back in 2007. It was also my "starter" deck when returning to records. Surprisingly good sound came from that Numark; I still have some needle drops of my Devo albums that I listen to regularly.

Given your experience, I would strongly recommend the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. It's effective as a ""plug-and-play" turntable, thanks to its factory-assembled Ortofon 2M Red cartridge (an excellent performer). It's very easy to assemble, and you'll be playing music in less than five minutes. In addition,there are a number of upgrade paths, if you choose to fully optimize the performance of the Debut: Speed Box S, acrylic platter, 2M Blue stylus. But don't worry about that for now; ignore the obsessions about "upgrade, always upgrade."

Because you'll need a phono stage and amplifier with your turntable, you should pick up a vintage stereo receiver. This assumes you don't have one now; any stereo receiver with a "phono" selection is what you need. There are also some brands of modern stereo amplifiers with phono stages (one brand, whose name escapes me, was available at Best Buy for $100, and received good reviews).

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is the latest version of the most successful (and critically praised) budget turntable on the market today. At $400, no other new turntable brand can touch it. And it also happens to look super cool and stylish, with its gloss paint and carbon-fiber tonearm.

And, finally, if you really want to be amazed, I recommend one other component to pair with your Debut Carbon: a Bellari VP-130 tube phono preamp. This little gem delivers a "classic tube amp" sound to your music, is immensely musical, rich and detailed, and makes records come alive like nothing else. It also features a headphone amp which sounds crisp and clean. Heck, I currently use a $700 Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II, and I'm still dreaming of that little red fire truck. Add a Bellari or Tung-Sol vacuum tube and prepare to be amazed.

For $700 (a fair bit of money, but a good investment), you can have a Debut Carbon, Bellari phono stage, and Bellari tube. You'll have the best sound system you've ever heard in your life, and as Michael Fremer famously said, "I guarantee your CDs will start to gather dust."

Hmm...Now I wanna buy all this stuff!

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I have the Debut III with the Bellari VP-130, and love it. I'm not familiar with Bellari tubes, though; do you mean Mullard? Excellent recommendations for the entry-level vinylphile.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  20. Daniel Thomas

Yes, I was thinking of the Mullard or Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7s at Needle Doctor. Swapping out the stock tubes are always mandatory; I grabbed some Tung-Sol Gold Pin tubes for the Tube Box, myself. Sounds very good, and an affordable way to begin one's obsession with tube-swapping.

BTW, Needle Doctor has a Bellari on closeout for $200, barely used. If I had the money to spare, I'd have it in my hands right now.

21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Dosent the Carbon Debut now come with a Speedbox? Makes it extra appealing I would have thought? Bee great if it had VTA adjustment however.

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Excellent thanks for the recommendations, I didn't think about the fact my amp does not have a 'phono' button, my current record deck has a built in amplifier and I will not be changing my amp because it is not that old and I love it, damn more money :(

23. Daniel Thomas

Welcome to the downside of vinyl records. You have to spend WAY more money to equal the sound of a classic CD (before The Loudness War wrecked everything). You'll just have to make you peace with that fact. But consider the price of an iPad or MacBook, or desktop PC. $400-$700 sounds about average.

Just start saving your money, a little bit each month. When you've reached your goal, you'll have your new stereo system and be very happy.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Dosent have to cost mega $$. Simple DIY phono stages that perform extremely well can be done for minimal money.

25. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.