Best Turntable for $400 ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Does the Bronze work well on the Debut Carbon? I noticed that Pro-Ject recommends only the Red or the Blue, but I hear great things about the Bronze generally.

2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

This is my first turntable, so I can't really compare it to anything, but I've been quite happy with the set-up. I did a fair amount of research before buying the Debut, and ran across a couple of threads (including one here) that said the Bronze worked nicely. And the folks at Needle Doctor seconded the suggestion when I ordered the turntable.

It sounds great to my ears.

Laibach and Gabe Walters like this.
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I too use a Bronze. Updated from the red after 3 months. I've found a substantial improvement in sound & detail, the arm is good enough to work with it. However, the cartridge also resolved additional mechanical noise from the bearing.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Bearing noise? I haven't had that problem. Could you describe it?

5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Not with any technical skill... but a low rumble can be heard in silent passages, similar to my pre-breakfast stomach. :)

6. Hellenic_Vanagon

Hellenic_Vanagon New Member

7. Hellenic_Vanagon

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If this is a steady vibration, the noise could be coming from the motor mounts. Some adjustment of the screws and perhaps an additional soft washer on top of the motor mounts might help.

If you're using the acrylic platter without a mat, some degree of friction in the bearing might be audible. A drop of motor oil around the shaft in the bearing well might help there.

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

That's exactly the circumstances and the confirmation I am looking for. Thanks. I now have bearing oil on order.

10. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

good question that! Im wondering this as well. Since the carbon DC now comes with a speed box it seems a great choice. The only worrying factor is no way to adjust VTA..

12. Hellenic_Vanagon

"Stereophile" 2014 May:

"VPI D.D. classic", review, Mr. Fremer:

[​IMG]

(The same Nasa is refered to)

The family with the same motor/electronics, (minor differences), basic construction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  13. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Not really sure as far as flexibility. I have the Pro-ject 5.1 which does allow for VTA adjustment but I'm using the Ortofon MM Blue and think it's a fantastic cartridge.
    As the Carbon comes with the Red as standard, you just need to change out the stylus for a Blue as they share the same body and I don't really think you need to look much further.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  14. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Perhaps, but I once had a 2M Blue and an Audio Technica micro-line for a different turntable and I preferred the micro-line for a few reasons. Fremer states that micro-line is a no-no for the Debut Carbon so that's the only reason I'm holding back on getting this 'table. I might go for Rega's RP1 though.

15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

So the AT150MLX with the Debut Carbon Tonearm is the correct compliance then?

16. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I didn't mean the Blue is the best out there, just that it's a good match for the Debut Carbon. If you're going to go for a modest turntable such as the Debut there are going to be compromises you meed to make. If you want a better cartridge and greater options then save up for a better table.

GetHappy!! and eyeCalypso like this.
  17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

You can get a used Systemdek IIX for about £200, and they should be plentiful in your neck of the woods.
    Much better sound than you would get for that amount on a new table.
    I've been running one for a few years that replaced a budget table and I'm still very happy with it.
    Plays rock music with a good full sound, and by your username it seems that might be right up your alley.

18. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

I just got one maxed out for $405 shipped. It sounds very good.

19. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

I had the tube urge and went with Aric audio. For $450 I got a phono pre-amp and preamp with 12au7 tubes.

20. ranonranonarat

ranonranonarat Well-Known Member

i would go for a new Rega RP1 or used RP3 for that price, with my decision swinging more towards the latter, if you're picking up a record player for the first time.

picked up my first turntable, a new Music Hall 2.2 a number of months back. while i don't hate it, i think that i could have done a lot better by picking up used gear instead for more than a fraction of the price. i would have also gone for the RP1 instead (but couldn't cos it wasn't available) because the tonearm wires on the 2.2 are pretty flimsy and i feel like there are a lot of options you can play with for a cart upgrade on the RP1.

having said that, there are a ton of really nice and used gear out there if you have a bit of patience. the technics direct-drives will pretty much have you set for a while as you start to learn more about turntables. the dual 1219 and 1229 is also an option you might want consider.

good luck with your search, it will probably not be your last turntable.

21. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Too much hype on the Sl-1200. I say buy something with a great arm on it (even if its vintage).

utahusker likes this.
  22. GP

GP Senior Member

The best used turntable I've ever seen go for $400 (actually $425) was a Townsend Rock Mk III with the seismic sink. I think the only reason the seller went down to that price...is because no one seems to know what an overachiever this table really is.

I don't see these come up for sale often though. :)

missan likes this.
  23. mds

mds Forum Resident

Hmmmm. $400 bucks but that doesn't include the cartridge..............or the preamp...............this hobby aint cheap!

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Thorens TD 160
    Dual 701

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Where's the lucky b*strd button!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.