Best turntable under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, there are dozens of articles that come up if you search Google with the keywords I've used in the post title here. They all keep pointing to the same four or five options--which is good on one level: it suggests that they are all good options. But, how to choose from among them?

I'm new here. Found this site by accident while doing searches to find a turntable to replace my old Technics SL-J2, which I've stuck to almost entirely because of its small size. That remains a consideration. I'm looking for the best possible sound in the smallest possible space for under $1,000 (including tax, shipping, etc.; I've got $1,000 to spend--unless there's a REALLY compelling reason to go a hair over that).

What's "best" always is subjective, so here are the factors that apply here:

1. As noted above, space is important. I have a 16.5-inch wide platform to set the turntable on, no more. Entire thing can't be more than 17.5 inches wide. A weird criterion, I know, but it is what it is.

2. Aside from space and cost, naturally, sound quality is the top priority.

3. I DETEST products that break right away. Reliability is very important to me.

4. Value is key. I've just upgraded my amplifier/receiver to the Outlaw Audio rr2160. Very pleased with it. Seems an excellent combination of quality construction, good design, sound, and price. I'm looking for a turntable with the same qualities.

5. The rest of the set-up. This will be heard through a pair of Yamaha NS-10s. Not the greatest, but this will not change. CDs are played with a Pioneer PD-HS7. It was about $1,000 in the mid-1990s. Again, seemed at the time to combine quality construction, good design, sound, and price, although the CD player is not immediately relevant to this question.

6. The music: I listen about 90% to classical music. About 5% Jazz (Jackie McLean, Monk, etc.--a lot of Bebop) and Delta and Chicago blues (think Fred McDowell, RL Burnside, Robert Nighthawk), and about 5% "classic rock" (think Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Mott the Hoople, Led Zeppelin--the rock I grew up with). If it makes a difference, though, mostly concerned about great sound listening to classical, especially string quartets and other chamber music.

7. Finally, I'm old enough that I grew up with vinyl, so I'm not "getting into" vinyl. I'm upgrading my turntable to something better suited to the amplifier I've just purchased. I already have a collection of about 500 LPs.

I don't want to say here what my research keeps pointing to, but I'll not be surprised if people here recommend the same products. Just hoping to learn if there are others I should be considering before I take the plunge.

With many thanks in advance. I hope this isn't one of those questions that gets asked over and over again. I did search the forums. Even if it is, it's always a fun game....

SpeedMorris and izgoblin like this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I actually think this will limit your selection a lot. A Rega Planar 3 is just over this dimension.

Maybe look at the Pro-Ject X1 or the RPM 3.

AaronW, Echoes Myron and dsf like this.
  3. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Is the $1K with, or without cartridge?

4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Then, is used in play, or are you a "has to be new" buyer?

Then, is having it shipped OK, or are you only entertaining local sales?

(have to ask these questions these days along with budget, as they come up later many times).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

Maybe a slightly used Rega RP3 or P3? Or the just relaunched Planar 2?

6. CMT

Okay, for the sake of argument, let’s say there’s an inch or two of wiggle room.

7. CMT

Ideally, with cartridge.

8. CMT

OK to have it shipped. Unless there is some sort of normally anticipated maintenance involved that requires a local source of service? I’m about an hour and 15 minutes from San Francisco, where I imagine there are service options. Given how delicate a turntable is, I think I would prefer to buy a new Unit.

9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

LOL, just as an aside - all five of my TT's setup in my main room right now are 32-37 years old, all original and shipped from Japan --- and they operate perfectly. I expect to be handing all of them down to my boys! Many TT's are precision instruments, but tougher than you think and not delicate!

Well, then again........ if you are thinking about buying one of the new 10 lb belt drives under $1000, or a lower end direct drive then I take that back...... so I guess it depends on what comes to mind when thinking "turntable". I would be afraid to run a fan in a room with some of the new TT's out there! :D:cool::angel:

Which leads to the final question - and an answer I did not see -- are you looking at belt drive, direct drive, or it doesn't matter?

10. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I recently got a rebuilt Dual 1219 from

Welcome to FixMyDual

It will fit both your budget and space (plinth is about 16.75” wide)

lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Pick from the linked list and you're done!

13. Subagent

OK then. I'm gonna tell you what I would do. There's a Music Hall MMF 5.3 in rosenut, with an Ortofon 2M bronze, open box over at MD. It's over your budget by $150 (I always go over budget, so this really is what I'd do), but comes with a nice cart (retail is $440).

Music Hall isn't a favorite hereabouts-- not real exciting, but solid and reliable in my experience.

14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

That is what I have as well. Had a makeshift plinth so paid a nearby TT repair guy $275 +$40 for a 2nd stylus for 78s. Then paid $65 for a parts only 1219 from e-bay so I could get an original plinth and dust cover. So under $400 when all was said and done. I'm not sure if that would be an option for you, not sure if sound would compare with something twice as expensive but I am really pleased with it.

Radio likes this.
  15. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I'd do this. My MMF-5 (original, or rather 1.1 with the 16v AC motor) has been going for 17 years.

Subagent likes this.
  16. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

What is MD?

17. Subagent

Oh, sorry-- Musicdirect (.com)

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of differences in the performance between tables at less than $1K. I had a Rega P3 and it too really was a lightweight and demanded an upgrade. If the $1K budget is critical to you then I'd definitely seek out a used table. Otherwise just buy one of the reputable brands and models at your price point so you get decent service and support. You really arent going to notice much difference between the Regas and Projects etc at this price point. I'm sure many will disagree with me but this is simply my own experience. In the world of vinyl you pretty much have to go big or go home to compete with and exceed digital.

trd and TheVinylAddict like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

OK, I looked at the OP's current table and as an owner of a SL10, I feel that he will be disappointed in the quality of most sub $1K tables.
    I would now suggest the Technics SL1200 Mk7 at his price point.
    Also, IMO, the DD would work better with classical music.

Leonthepro and Eigenvector like this.
  20. CMT

Wait, that’s a bit confusing. Are you suggesting my current turntable is comparable to these ones were talking about? I bought it for only about $200. Granted I bought it in Tokyo more than 25 years ago, but I was assuming it was a pretty ordinary piece of equipment that would be easily surpassed by anything in this price range we’re talking about. Am I wrong about that?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Perhaps you are. They really used to build turntables way better than they do now in entry-level bracket. For $1200, I would suggest a new Technics 1500 - it would approach the old-school level of quality. It also sports an Ortofon 2M Red - so you could always swap the cartridge to Blue later on.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Over 25 years ago is a much bigger factor than you seem to be taking into account. $200 was a lot more money in 1994 than it is now, and the market specific to turntables has drastically changed in that time, as well.

I can’t corroborate the statement specific to your SL10 vs. current $1k turntables, but I would not be at all surprised if a $200 turntable in the early ‘90s or before equals the quality of a $1k turntable now.

Leonthepro and Benzion like this.
  23. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I don't think you're wrong, and I'm a little mystified at the apparent sudden high regard for cheap-ish '80s mid-fi Japanese linear tracking TTs. :oops:

I owned one that was similar to your SL-J2 (think mine was an SL-5), and sonically, it was just 'okay', or a half-notch above. It was no 'Technics SL1200MkII in the rough' (wish it had been). Most any good $1000-class TT should beat it by a significant margin.

And no, your TT is not pricey in today's terms via the magic of inflation... if you check out a CPI calculator, it's about $400-500 in today's money.

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m sure there’s nostalgia at play, along with disappointment in the build quality of the budget turntables of present day.

25. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I don't know when it arrives (supposedly this summer), but the new Pro-Ject X1 looks to be 16.75ish" wide. Apparently, Heinz Lichtenegger is extremely proud of it. If I understand correctly, the U.S. version is supposed to include the $150 Sumiko Oyster Rainier, as opposed to the Ortofon for the European market. I think it (the cart) seems to be something that would like classical if I read the reviews correctly; a bit on the fuller, "analoguey" side than the Ortofon. The fish weight anti-skate is looked down on by some, but it works (set and forget) and isn't gonna go bad. The arm allows for adjustments of the various angles and forces and such.

X1 – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

Dan Steele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.