Best TV performances you've seen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

the Beatles on Ed Sullivan from Miami ( John's mike was turned down on the first show )

2. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

A truly beautiful performance...

3. Glennza

I watch this one all the time. I've never seen so much joy in a song. Stanley and George both grinning from ear to ear.

Bemsha and PHILLYQ like this.
  4. Glennza

And finally... Gary Moore and Phil Lynott. I've always liked GM's slow version and when they let rip in the second half of the song...wow!

5. Great postings all over the place here, but a special thanks to those who posted the "Night Music" clips - alerting me to the fact that a bunch of the original complete shows have now found their way onto YouTube in excellent quality. My favorite music TV show of all time - they fostered an atmosphere of open-mindedness and eclecticism, and many of the performances are flat-out fantastic...

bluejimbop, bagofsoup and PHILLYQ like this.
  6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I just remembered this beautiful performance on OGWT by Judee Sill of The Kiss (this one has an intro by Whisperin' Bob himself)...

kunstwork, MisterPleasant and scottM like this.
  7. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Around the 2:03 mark I think he improvises a lyric there. Then around 5:34 it seems like the tune is over, but Stevie wants to do a bit more! Amazing, and a great band too.:righton:

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Incredible clarinet, great band, thanks for posting it!

9. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

WOW

Ron Mexico likes this.
  10. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

11. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Susan Boyle - I Dreamed a Dream on Britain's Got Talent. THE most amazing musical performance ever. Still love every second today just as I did in 2009. I just love her.

12. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Breathtaking!

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

When this aired, my mother was in the kitchen keeping half an ear on things cause she knew Emerson was a great player and in her teens and twenties she was talented enough to make state band on the piano and sax. When that piano went up, she came flying in the room, exclaiming 'my God, that's Rachmaninoff!!! That piece is incredibly difficult. It took me years before I could play it! ' And then, to her shock, he played it while the piano rotated. Her mouth was open, she was speechless. All she could say afterwards, was 'I will never hear or see anything like that again.'

Bemsha, ledsox and SKean like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Ian Hunter was a Dylan Acolyte since he was a teenager, but there was no real evidence of it with Mott. Here, he delivers an obscure Bob song with an intensity and passion that just dwarfs Bob's reading. But it sure reminds you what an awesome lyric it is. It cuts off unfortunately, but not before an acapella climax that gives me goosebumps.

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Here's the letterman clip. Sound isn't too good.

jamesmaya, Slokes and swedwards1960 like this.
  16. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder didn't just do "Superstition" on "Sesame Street", but he also did this peculiar, inspired alternate theme song for the show:

Stevie Wonder, "1-2-3 Sesame Street"

I remember that clip being played back when I was a kid watching the show in the early '80s. I recall thinking it was a pretty weird bit, and it stuck in my brain for years after that.

kunstwork and bagofsoup like this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

How could anyone who saw it ever forget Devo on SNL in '78? Unfortunately, this is only the audio.

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

What a way to get introduced to the world!

Tracy Chapman - Across the Lines (Nelson Mandela 70th Tribute Concert, 1988)

19. Dr. Pepper

20. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

I'm kind of cheating since it's appears to be a televised concert. But I always get goosebumps with this one. I often think it humorous that one of the spiritual heirs
    to Howlin Wolfe and Captain Beefheart is a 100 pound gal from the UK. Gotta love it.

conjotter and JPJs Bass Guitar like this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

Always fun!

buzzzx, bleachershane and theMess like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Still My favorite televised performance ever, that I saw live.

bleachershane and bagofsoup like this.
  23. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Agree 100 percent. Totally and unequivocally BAD ASS. Page/Plant at their best. Funny, they nailed this night after night after night and Led Zeppelin really struggled with it the few times it was played back in 1975 before eventually being abandoned.

R.I.P. Michael Lee. He wasn't Bonzo, but added so much energy and ooomph! to Page/Plant's delivery of Zep material.

Love,
    Billy

troyvod likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, that's a great one, an all time favorite, the security guys are even left a little awestruck at the end. She's got a few of those performances recorded, another "Rid of Me" I posted awhile back is here ... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/iconic-video-performances.353815/#post-10465827

Speaking of PJ, Josh Homme and company did a very cool set of shows and records in that desert sessions series, and featured PJ for a time ... here's a big favorite from Jools Holland going back a few years, they really look cool ...

conjotter likes this.
  25. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Absolutely amazing. OP should make a poll over all the brilliant videoclips we got in this thread

Bob J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.