Best usage of guitar synthesizers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Jan Akkerman - From the Basement.

2. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Tommy Bolin on Billy Cobham Spectrum
    Trevor Rabin on Yes 90125 or anything

stodgers and altaeria like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Has no one mentioned "Going Mobile" yet? Always loved the sound of that one.

overdrivethree likes this.
  4. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I always loved the guitar synthesizer solo in Don Henley's "Sunset Grill".

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't think Tommy used a guitar synth. Tommy played guitar, and Jan Hammer played synth.

spencer1, drasil and MoonPool like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

Not to be pedantic, but that's not a true guitar synth. Pete played his guitar through an envelope follower, a feature of the ARP synthesizer that produces the wah wah sound, and he also overdubbed a VCS 3 synth part.

My choices:

Secret Journey, Don't Stand So Close To Me (The Police, Andy Summers using Roland guitar synth)
    Chinatown, What A Fool Believes, Minute By Minute (The Doobie Brothers, Jeff Baxter using Roland guitar synth)

davers and drasil like this.
  7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Okay, it's not a guitar synth. It's a guitar played through a synth. My bad :p

The Classic Albums documentary referred to it as some kind of synth effect - maybe I shouldn't be participating in a thread about synthesizers considering how much I (usually) hate them :laugh:

8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Which songs did Trevor use a guitar synth on? I hear effects, but not a guitar synth. I like 90125 and Big Generator very much, but never really checked into his rig. Most concert footage, I thought he was just playing a straight strat?

A lot of Trevor's sounds is from an Eventide Harmonizer (same thing that EVH uses on intro to Women in Love).

ledsox likes this.
  9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I like Clapton's use of it on 'Never Make You Cry'.

10. pool_of_tears

Ahh, close enough :)

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Allan Holdsworth.

12. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Thought that was all Fairlight and regular synths.

Beamish13 likes this.
  13. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Firewood?

Take it easy! It's a joke.

elgoodo likes this.
  14. konut

Listen at 1:56, 2:54, and 3:50

15. konut

The speculation was that it was a SynthAxe or a Fairlight, which the producer Trevor Horn liked to use, but looking into it further you're probably right.

altaeria likes this.
  16. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

I was going to suggest Steve Hackett on Counting Out Time, but on seeing the OP's avatar and name I felt that would be about as helpful as a concrete lifejacket.

I may also meekly point out that Mike Rutherford used a stack of them too - he's playing the chords on Second Home By the Sea, not Tony.

So after, literally, seconds of thought I offer Tom Robinson. Saw him years ago using keyboards and Casio synth guitar on his one man show. Very good it was too.

Steve B likes this.
  17. drasil

drasil Former Resident

not to speak for him, but the OP is asking for examples of guitar synthesizers, which are synths that are controlled (played) by a guitar instead of a keyboard, such as the roland GR series.

there have been numerous posts to this thread thus far of regular electric guitars being processed through synths, effects pedals, or the like. these are very different things.

ironically, this is the conversation we were having just upthread--unless you're particularly familiar with the player's rig or the sound of these synths, it can be difficult to tell on record if someone is playing a keyboard or guitar-controlled synth. and on stage, not all guitar synth controllers looks 'synthy'--many look just like regular electrics at first blush.

dadonred likes this.
  18. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Mike Rutherford and Tom Robinson were definitely using things with 6 strings to make keyboard sounds.;)

19. drasil

drasil Former Resident

this is a good example of the above. here, Bolin is playing a standard electric which is being run through an analog, solid-state effects pedal. he's not controlling a synth.

I'm not super familiar with Bolin's gear, so I'm not sure what guitar he's playing (looks like he played an SG, a les paul, and a strat all during this period), but I do recognize the sound of a maestro echoplex pedal in use--obviously, it's the source of the delay and shifting effect immediately before your first example in the video at 1:56, but it's also the source of the 'lasery' sawtooth effect that begins at that point. (I believe he's manipulating the tone and repeat delay controls simultaneously.)

20. konut

Okay, I've been fooled.

21. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Trevor R also used an MXR Pitch Transposer to add a 5th harmony on Owners of a Lonely Heart. This was from an old interview in Guitar Player.

Here's an interview you may find interesting.http://www.innerviews.org/inner/rabin.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  22. konut

Fooled again.

piston broke likes this.
  23. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Adrian Belew also!!

badfinger54 and Steve B like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

Doesn't sound like a guitar synth to me. I hear his echoplex being used at points during the song, along with whatever Jan Hammer was playing, but nothing I hear indicates his axe was controlling a synth.

25. drasil

drasil Former Resident

absolutely.

Ade shows off the GR300 using a G505 controller in 1981.

Crungy and Cactus Bob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.