Best Version of Pink Floyd's "Meddle"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robertawillisjr, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Just got a Japanese Black Triangle Meddle today, TO version, not too expensive......well at least less than $51. So mint I was shocked, looks like nobody touched it! It is very nice sounding but you sure have to crank it to get it loud! The total opposite of brick-walling :)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I have a mid 70s UK Harvest LP which in my opinion sound much much better than the MOFI CD. Its stunning. $12 would have been awesome.

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the early Made in U.S. edition using the Japanese mastering (as indicated in the inner hub matrix) is a less expensive way to go for an excellent version. Look for the CP32 Japanese matrix number with the CDP matrix info as well.:righton:

4. tnt95

tnt95 Forum Resident

I picked up this pressing recently...sounds fantastic :righton:

5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I need to track this one down sometime. Before I knew better :hide:, I just bought a bunch of them hoping for the right one. Never got it doing it that way. Need to look at Vernon's site more so I can try to ask the right question wrt the CD label, jewel case insert, etc. I try to avoid asking about matrix codes unless it's absolutely necessary. Don't ask me why ...

6. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I just received my 'Swindon' copy in the mail today, so I sat down and did a shootout between it and the MOFI. My conclusion? Well, let's just say I will be selling the MOFI very soon. I am a Swindon convert! I've never heard Meddle sound so good.

BIG ED likes this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I picked up an old Made in UK, Swindon matrix, no barcode CDP copy for the heck of it last week for almost no money in a junk shop. I play the vinyl at home but went to put this CD in iTunes for the iPod and it reckognizes it as the later (alleged) Sax remaster that I already have in iTunes. What's that all about? I vaguely remember a thread here about Floyd discs being not remastered when they claim to be..?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, in Europe, several albums were advertised as being the 1992-94 remasters when in fact they were the same old versions.
    I don't remember which albums it was, but I'm sure someone will chime in. :)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:righton:

10. BlueSpeedway

Thanks, what a con. The Sax Meddle I have is the one still in
    print in Europe, so beware anybody thinking of getting it: if you have the old CDP it's probably the same. I bet this pssd Mr Sax off, he is well-respected isn't he? EMI strikes again, disgusting..

11. BlueSpeedway

:laugh:

12. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I got the MFSL UD1 CD last night. It definitely sounds better than the 2 other CDs that I have. I'd like to get a Black Triangle one day to compare it to.

13. Wow, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. The US 1980 re-press on the
    black/rainbow label is impressive, can't say that about the older US vinyl.

I just sold "cabbagetown" my MFSL cd of that title. I hope he loves it!
    I played it here in my store enough!

You lucky dog!!!!

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Just listened to this one last night, CP32 USA pressing. Wonderful clarity and smoothness.

15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I like this one the best, but I also have the Sax for a different (contrasting) take on it.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Good question, as I have the same copy and have wondered the same thing ? I'm kick starting this thread again to hopefully shed some light on the subject.

Peak levels : MEDDLE TOCP-53806
    97.7 / 77.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 69.2 / 94.8

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Toshiba-EMI 7th JPN pressing > http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DJaCDPF.htm#Med7

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Thanks, but what I was getting at is, are those levels some kind of tweaked mastering as they seem to be unique to the Toshiba/EMI issues starting in 1994 with the 4th issue TOCP 8254, remaining consistant with every release through to the 9th issue, the disc in question from 2009/10 TOCP-53806. Interestingly, TOCP-53806 has TOCP-65557 on the underside of the disc which is the 5th issue. While the disc face has CDP 8297492 ? As those levels kick off in 1994, could they have something to do with the Sax remasters ? I'm just guessing here folks !! :help:

19. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Never felt the need to upgrade the MFSL

20. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

The psylocybin version always sounded the best...

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

fixed.

22. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

A tasty album.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hmm sorry yes. The peak levels look like the Sax remaster with volume lowered by 2-3% or something.

24. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

well of course, virtually any vinyl pressing is going to kill the cd version. That said, I have a first Jap vinyl pressing and the Mofi vinyl pressing. Both sound great, with the Mofi Vinyl sounding a bit fuller and more robust (on my system). I prefer the Mofi vinyl...haven't heard a UK copy though.

25. DPSysBerry

DPSysBerry Forum Resident

I have an awful '1974 vinyl crisis' copy of 'Meddle' that I bought off my brother a week or two after he'd bought it new (in 1974). Textured sleeve almost paper thin, and the disc itself is really lightweight and bendy, like the old RCA 'Dynaflex' pressings used to be. The labels are green Harvest, but look like poor scans of proper UK labels and, although this was a bona-fide UK copy bought from the local W H Smiths, the labels on the disc have been amended to say 'Made in the USA' (the sleeve was printed in the UK).

I seem to recall it wasn't too bad to listen to, although I haven't played it in years; it just seemed rather poor value compared to copies owned by other friends at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.