Best version of Queen's The Game?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Go Dave!

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

All my US Elektra copies, the foil cover and non foil cover are all Allen Zentz mastered despite the cover variations. Come to think of it, I have never seen a non Allen Zentz mastered The Game LP on Elektra ever. This LP sounds great. I also have the MFSL CD which sounds great as well.

3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I only have an early UK EMI CD of this title. I'll have to check it when I get home to get details, but I do like the way it sounds. Can anyone comment about how this one might stack up against the target/Japanese/etc?

deredordica likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the MFSL vinyl.... anyone....anybody.... anywhere? (I am curious about this one in particular).

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I believe all or most of the UK EMI cds are identical to the Japanese CP32s, but don't quote me on that ;)

deredordica and CybrKhatru like this.
  6. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Actually there is also the 38XP-15 (1983-84) but it's the WG target with an Obi. I've been looking for it but without success, so far.

I absolutely agree with you, I have these also: 32XD, CP32 and the WG Target for the US market and my preferences are also by that order.

rcdupre and Dave like this.
  7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

What were the extra Bonus tracks ?

Mij Retrac likes this.
  8. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

My 2011 remastered version that I got (last year I think) has all the same bonus tracks as the iTunes version.

9. When the Queen catalogue of albums were remastered in 2011 they brought out two versions of each album. One was just a remaster with no bonus tracks. The other versions came with a second disc of B-sides, live tracks and some outtakes.

I'll use The Game as an example for this, but it refers to all Queen albums that were re-released in 2011.

This is the standard remaster of The Game

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-2011-Remastered-Version/dp/B004WS7QRQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1443644420&sr=1-1&keywords=queen the game

This is the 2CD remastered release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-2011-R...qid=1443644420&sr=1-3&keywords=queen the game

I believe the iTunes editions of these albums contained some videos aswell as the bonus tracks found on the 2CD editions.

10. Mij Retrac

Right and the 2CD release has the same songs that iTunes has as their "deluxe edition"

11. Yes, correct, although iTunes offer some videos with each album as well that you obviously don't get when you purchase the 2CD editions.

12. Mij Retrac

If they did offer videos they don't anymore. At least not in the US.

13. They're still on iTunes UK and are £1.89 GBP each. Are you in the US? Also, I've just noticed that they are marked as being, "Mastered For iTunes".

14. Mij Retrac

I am in the US and this one is "Mastered For iTunes" as well but no videos are included.

15. I've just checked and you're correct. The bonus videos are not on the iTunes US store. You can actually browse the iTunes store of any country in the world that has one, and view what's available in those countries. Unfortunately, browsing is the only thing you can do with overseas iTunes stores. You can only purchase songs or albums from the store of the country you're located in.

The fact that certain albums, songs and videos are only available in certain countries is wrong. Everyone should be entitled to the same. I recently had to get someone in the US to purchase and send me three tracks that were only available on the US iTunes store. :(

Mij Retrac likes this.
  16. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Why do people like the 2011 remasters? I look on DR Database and they're compressed beyond belief compared to the 1991 Hollywood remasters. I have Greatest Hits and Classic Queen on Hollywood from 1992 and I thought these beat the newer ones hands down.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. curbach

And the Hollywoods aren't well regarded either :laugh:

18. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Why? That is what I am curious, why the Hollywoods are not well-regarded.

19. curbach

They are, shall we say, over mastered. But as you have heard that is a relative term. It can always be worse :) Depends on what you are comparing them to. They acquired their bad reputation before the 2011s existed. Compare them to the original EMI CDs or the WG Targets and their shortcomings will be quite apparent.

deredordica likes this.
  20. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Vinyl: 1st UK pressing. Possibly the best-sounding piece of vinyl I've ever heard, especially when cranked.

CD: 1st UK Swindon pressing (very early '90s). Also 2001/2004 Japanese MiniVinyl; I like like them both equally, but for different reasons.

As always, YMMV.

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Never really liked the album untill i got the DVD-A, so DVD-A for me they really did polish one there.

22. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I have what I think is a US vinyl first-pressing from Elektra/Asylum. The jacket is the shiny, tin foil version while the patent and copyright dates are both 1980. Is the UK pressing regarded as being sonically better than the US?

23. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Me too.

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't tell you from first hand experience as I've not heard the U.S version, but from what I've read by others, it seems to be the case that the U.K version is the one to get.

25. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I'm curious, what did you not like about the 2011? Too much compression? Too bright? While I can understand those criticisms, the 2011 is the only version I really like, sonically speaking. I think the US vinyl sounds flat and muddy with very little detail, while the Hollywood CD is a bit better in those terms, it's still uninvolving and just sounds a bit "low res." Conversely, the 2011 has tons of detail everywhere, more depth, and just sounds one generation closer to the source than any other version I've heard. Now, I understand I'm in the minority on this forum, but I really like the 2011 edition. In fact, it's the only mastering of album that I actually like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.