Best versions of Rush - Moving Pictures and 2112?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

On Amazon, or where you can find one. I don't know how accurate it is.

2. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I'll do that tonight and compare. Did you listen to the clips on Amazon?

3. Holy Diver

Yeah, and I think the remaster of FBN sounds better.

4. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Tell you what, if you can point me to the exact clips you were listening to, I'll compare them to my CDs.

5. Holy Diver

6. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

7. Holy Diver

Cool. I am jumping on that. :laugh:

8. Holy Diver

Ok. i just compared FBN, and I am going to go buy an original. I know where one is. I will be back tonight with it. I think the remaster may be too bloated and compressed.

9. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

10. Holy Diver

Well, I have to wait until tommorrow to get my original FBN, then I will compare it to the RM.

11. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I spent some time listening to the original US and the remaster of Fly By Night this evening. Honestly, they both have merits. It sounds like the remaster came from a better source but it has some compression on it. Not a terrible amount, but it's there. The original is a little less detailed but more dynamic and slightly warmer.

Pick your poison. :cool:

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

There is also a green arrow Signals which is even rarer. Someone posted a pic in another thread last April. Which I should have bookmarked.

Am I correct in reading that the WG Atomic's of 2112 and MP have knocked the 25 8p's off your Preferred RUSH list? I agree on most tracks for MP. 2112 is as close as it gets for me with the 25 8P edging out the Atomic by the slimmest of margins. I'd revisit but frankly have lost interest.

Rick

13. Holy Diver

I just got the original FBN, and it sounds better turned up than the RM. The RM is not bad, but it does give out when cranked, so for this reason I will pick the original CD as best sounding of the two.

14. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Best sounding "Moving Pictures"? None IMO. They are all "good", they are all "bad". This is an odd recording, so your milage may vary with any of the pressings.

I've heard the MoFi, Canada first and second, U.S. atomic, W. Germany atomic, and Japan 25-8P (same mastering as the W. Germany "green arrow" with the missing beat). The MoFi is my least favorite and I don't have a favorite. I've sold all my copies and once the Japan pressing is gone I am done with the album (maybe I am burned out after all these copies ;)). I'd rather listen to "Permanet Waves" or "A Farewell To Kings".

16. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Correction. I just put on the 25-8P "Moving Pictures" and it has the opening drum (checked on the SACD player and boombox). I borrowed the US atomic to compare and the opening drum is the same on both. The Japan has the all 100% EAC and the U.S. atomic is the same as the W. Germany 03 atomic (starts with 95%).

17. Here's the green arrow signals:

Attached Files:

18. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

There's a green arrow Signals too.

19. Yup, just posted the pic.

20. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

It's a nice one. I'll probably have a chance to see one next week. Yes, just see it.

21. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Hey, that's mine! :)

It's nice to look at for sure -- but it should be said that it's the same mastering as the WG atomic disc.

22. Yeah, originally I linked to your thread post, but I decided I might as well just put the image up instead. It's neat looking, but I have the WG atomic so I guess I'm not really missing out on anything!

23. Unfortunately, it's not mine. I wish. :laugh: See post above.

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I am surprised that only one person has talked about the Canadian Anthem CDs (first issues)...How do they sound in comparison to the US, etc.? It has been suggested here that the mastering is different. I would assume that the original country rules apply here...help me out folks! :)

25. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Do I ever agree with that. 2112 is a personal fav from my youth and I just assumed the MSFL would be the way to go. I was able to borrow a copy to check out and I thought there was something wrong with my system. It was so harsh I found it almost unlistenable. What the heck happened here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.