Best versions question related to Rolling Stone's Top Ten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

As I perused the list, I realized I already owned three of the top ten. I'm missing "Blonde on Blonde", "Highway 61 Revisited", and "Pet Sounds".

Since I have no pre-existing objection to any of those - ie, it's not like "The Doors" that I KNOW I don't like - I thought I'd complete my collection and get the three.

So which versions are best? I think I've seen that the recent Dylan remasters have a good reputation, so would those be the best editions of "BOB" and "61"? If so, that's a simple solution.

"Pet Sounds" seems more complicated. I'm sure most will regard the DCC as the best, but as I'm not sure I'll like the album, I'd prefer to stick with something easily obtained. It looks like there are a thousand versions of the album - which presents it the best?

And what do people think of the boxed set? I know it's expensive, but I can use Amazon credit to get it, so that's not an issue. (The DCC would actually - gasp! - cost me MONEY!) Would the boxed "Pet Sounds" be a cool exploration of the album, or is it best left for those absolutely obsessed with the record?

2. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Are you a Dylan fan? Cause as great as these LPs are you still have to like Bob. Also Pet Sounds isn't for everyone either. I have music loving friends that don't get it. If you like great orchestrated pop though along the lines of Sgt. Pepper and Forverer Changes it's a no brainer.
    I'm only questioning this because your distaste of the Doors. Although the Doors are another breed altogether they still have timeless music usually adored by critics.

Joe L.

3. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Blonde on Blonde - get the original vinyl. If you're not into vinyl, get the SACD. If you're not into SACD, get the gold Mastersounds version. Or buy an SACD player.

Highway 61 - get the DCC. Otherwise get the SACD. If you're not into SACD, get the DCC. Or, you can just get the DCC. Or maybe get the DCC.

Pet Sounds - get the DCC. Otherwise, get the DVD-A. If you're not into DVD-A, get the DCC. If you're going to fork out enough money for the box set, get the DCC instead. Or buy a DVD-A player.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I think it would make sense for you to figure out whether you liked the albums or not before sinking a lot of cash into them, no? That said, since the Dylan SACDs are readily available, those are a good solution. Maybe try out the Capitol HDCD of Pet Sounds and see if it appeals? If so, sell the heck out of it and get something better :D

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

You don't need and SACD player for the Blonde On Blonde since since hybrid. Don't waste your money on the Mastersound of this. The SACD hybrid is the best.

The DCC wins out on past threads for Pet Sounds.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Thanks for the notes. As my original post mentioned, money isn't an issue for the "Pet Sounds" boxed set but IS for the DCC of it or "61" because I have scads of Amazon credit. That means I essentially can get anything they have in stock for free, but it'd cost me real bucks to BUY the DCCs. If I knew I loved the albums, I'd do that, but I won't shell out bucks for experiments...

So please - no more recommendations for the DCCs, because it's not gonna happen! :D

I'm a moderate Dylan fan - seen him a couple of times, own "Biograph" plus the two live "Bootleg Series" albums. Never bothered with any standard studio albums but thought maybe it was time to give them a shot.

As for the Doors, I don't see them as being comparable to either Dylan or Beach Boys. I've always thought the Doors were horribly pretentious and vastly overrated, but that's a different thread!:D

Anyway, I'm not questioning whether or not I SHOULD try out the albums. It's not like I'm totally ignorant and going into any of them blind - they're experiments to a degree, but not radically. I just want to know the best versions of the in-print copies, and I still hope for additional insight about the "Pet Sounds" box to know if it's worthwhile for non-diehard fans...

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The recent CD/SACD hybrids of HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED and BLONDE ON BLONDE are a no-brainer.

I can't imagine springing for the PET SOUNDS SESSIONS box without first having heard one of the many single-disc versions. Take a look at the track listing for the box, which should give you an indication of just how thoroughly the LP is dissected over four CDs. It looks like a pretty scholarly exercise; I'm not sure I'd ever listen to it more than once.

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

EVERYBODY should (at least!) one copy of each of these albums!

9. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Ron, you would be surprised how accessible that Pet Sounds box really is. Maybe it depends on your feeling towards the album, but I can't imagine being without some of the stuff on the box - I think I listen to it even more than the Good Vibrations box. I agree it looks scholarly on paper, but it is one of those things that while you are listening to it, all that comes to mind is "man, now this is pure music-making". It does not even feel as scholarly as, say, wading through all the Elvis alternate material. The Pet Sounds Sessions is definitely my preferred Pet Sounds.

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Pet Sounds: The DCC has the best sounding version of the mono mix you will ever find.

But if you do not want to track down this (expensive and rare) DCC, the box set is the way to go, even as a non-hardcore fan.
    1. The mono mix is still quite good sounding (just brighter but not noise-reduced).
    2. The stereo mix is considered a revelation to many and is done very well. (Of course it sounds way different than the original.)
    3. The session outtakes show Brian Wilson at his artistic peak in the studio with the most capable session players of its time (the "wrecking crew"). You hear some live composing and experimenting and very little goofing around.
    4. The vocals-only versions are essential to study the harmonic perfection of the six (I am including Bruce Johnston here) Beach Boys.

The mono-stereo twofer of Pet Sounds uses the same masters as the box set. (Only the stereo version of Wouldn't It Be Nice was remixed for the 2001 twofer).

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Andreas, you've summed up the Pet Sessions box quite nicely.

Just it being brought up in this thread made me pull it out and listen to it again; it is still as good as ever. Again, you have to like the album, but once you do, the box really pulls back the curtain on Pet Sounds and lets you look behind it in a wonderful way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.