Best vinyl Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yeah. Plus I don’t see the fetish in finding a new one. The record is only like 15 years old.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

For sure, as long as it's clean. I bought mine in the summer of 04 and it was a tad warped, but I put it in my vinyl flat and lays perfectly flat. If you find a clean one for $40, get that sucker....it's got the mojo.

3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I actually prefer the 2011 to the 30th. Yes the 30th is AAA but it has a treble boost that to me is a little aggressive.

I like my Dark Sides smooth!

Thus the original UK pressings and the MOFI are my go-to.

Onder and nosliw like this.
  4. I’ve got two copies - the 30th and an original UK (kinda early press I think). I spin the UK more - but I love both of them. The 30th is noisier than I would prefer - common among this issue I’ve heard but I still love it. One of those albums you can just play and sink right in to at any point in life.

5. Spammers

Spammers Active Member

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. AllenR

AllenR Forum Resident

At one point I had:

A Wally
    UK Quad
    MFSL
    30th Anniv
    Cent 100

30th sounded on the bright side until I changed my cart to better match my tonearm. The 30th is very demanding of tonearm and cartridge matching.

Now the 30th is my preferred pressing. Love the Quad tone and fun for a different listen.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

John Bliss likes this.
  8. I saw a sealed one at a store a few weeks back... 60 bucks. I was tempted to pick it up but considering I already have a copy - I just didn’t want to be the person to open it. Weird, I know! :crazy: For what it’s worth I’ve only ever seen two in stores over the years... and I bought the open copy that I found.

Crimson Witch and Dr. Funk like this.
  9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I agree, since I upgraded my cart to an AT33SA the 30th has become my go-to. It's got a big, open, dynamic sound that's just great. I have an early UK that sounds very good too. I also have a Japanese Odeon pressing that's nice as well. Lots of good options.

10. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I got the original US pressing that was cut by Wally, which also comes with unused stickers and posters, with the record itself in amazing shape for $30. The jacket did have some ringwear though. I also own the first MoFi pressing of the album as well.

For those who are curious about how six different pressings of Dark Side of the Moon sounded, watch the above video by Barakapdub. Personally, I prefer the original US pressing, MoFi, and the 2003 release.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

There are many great vinyl options when it comes to this album. Much of it depends on preferences and one's system.
    The 70's US Wally cut is a great sounding pressing. There are some still out in the wild........the trick is finding one that's clean
    The MFSL is also a nice option. I owned one for years, but sold it because I rarely spun it
    The 30th (2003) KG cut is probably my favorite........sounds great on my system
    The 2016 Grundman cut is not too shabby.........one could do worse

12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Passed on a Wally a couple days ago for 5 bucks. Had some pretty deep scratches throughout, wasn't going anywhere near my styli :laugh:

13. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

This is really cool. To me, the Wally cut sounds very mid-rangey, with the percussion lacking attack and detail. The Canadian press was quite good, I wonder if it used UK plates.

14. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I think that's part of the reason why I don't like the Wally cut more, with my Ortofon Bronze it seems to accentuate mids. Maybe I need to hear an earlier copy than the 83 I had though. The MoFi works much better for me. It is system dependent, for sure, maybe more so than the average album.

GreatTone likes this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just picked up a UK A3/B3 3rd issue in decent shape for about $30. I'm very pleased with it. Compared to a US F1 Wly x2 and a German QUAD, the UK third press has the best soundstage and clarity to me. I think I'm good now on this one.

And thanks to everyone here who recommended the A3/B3. I rolled the dice in Discogs without knowing the matrix and came up a winner. I love when that happens, which seems to be more often than not.

jgrillo likes this.
  16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Does the labels rim text (at the top) start with "The Gramophone Co" or with "EMI" ?

17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

From my notes:
    EMI labels, 3rd issue
    Side 1: SHVL 804 A-3 RLP 3
    Side 2: SHVL 804 B-3 HA 1

The EMI on the label is how in identified it as a third, based on my knowledge at this time.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

30th, 2003, AAA is my go to for now.
    Needed a cleaning, and I think it's a little more challenging of the tonearm/table/cart than other pressings may be.
    That may be why some find it a little bright or noisy.

GreatTone and AllenR like this.
  19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

No Pro-Use, no UHQR and most importantly, no UK A3/B3 stamped pressing. Can't have a shoot out with those missing.

MGM and Phishman like this.
  20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

There are better pressings than others.
    But none, in my experience, are night and day over the top ne plus ultra engaging compared to any standard pressing. As long as it's in great shape.

Although I haven't heard the 1990's reissue (among those with the fuzzy image sticker in the middle of the cover) which Chad Kassem warned me away from.

21. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

I have 3 vinyl versions
    a standard garden variety it sounds good
    Mofi in vg+ condition its eh
    30th aniv , this is what I choose to listen to 90%

echauhan likes this.
  22. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

from what you have typed and what ive read both about dsotm as well as led zep, I know you know your stuff and you've got great ears. I even can relate to you using the word "fresh". im really glad I saw your detailed review. hvent got a single copy of dsotm on LP (just flac copies of a remast and non remast versions) and im currently sourcing for 1. was even considering the '16 b. grundman cut. but now I think im gonna source for the first jap issue. was also considering another jap issue EMS-80324 with the emi label but Ive just decided on the 1st jap press EOP-80778. ummm noticed that there are 2 versions with the same cat no EOP-80778. think they have different prices on the obi or something like that? will either one do? thanks again :)

23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The ones to get are:

• UK First Press or early
    • Japanese Pro Use
    • MoFi
    • MoFi UHQR
    • 30th Anneversary
    • 2016 remaster
    Have you tried all of those or just have one of them you can be happy. Or get and keep them all like me ;^)

24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Spanish first pressing I've seen in a local record store (mint with the poster and inserts). Can anyone recommend this at all so as to help me part with about $80 USD? You can also talk me off the ledge.

I already have a UK first; an early UK; a MOFI; and a Wally. But I'm sort of obsessive about this record. Plus, this one has "El Oscura Lado de la Luna" on the cover!

25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I have a few releases of this too. I prefer my original U.S. Wally for sq, but the one Bernie Grundman cut a few years ago sounds fairly close and I bought it new so it's in great shape. I have a Capitol rainbow too....I like that one the least by a fair margin.

$80.00 seems like a lot for any issue of this great lp, but it would be cool to have that Spanish cover. I can't imagine sound quality being better than the ones you already have though.

Echoes Myron likes this.