Best vinyl Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same here :righton: Same suspects and specially Randy W with whom I seem to agree just about every time. We are also very lucky to have W.B. to help us elucidate matrix numbers.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's interesting. I have the Sgt. Pepper UHQR and I agree on that one. I always wondered whether the DSOTM UHQR was worth having, but of course it is way too expensive to find now - almost a grand or something like that. I have the regular MFSL LP, the 30th ann. LP, and the SACD for surround, and have been basically satisfied with them, although based on all the comments here, it would be nice to try a UK original.

3. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Thanks, Randy. Glad I can help.

I will try to make an effort to post more often on record pressings(right or wrong ;) ).

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again, W.B. is da man when it comes to record labels, matrix and pressing plants. :agree:

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Aw shucks. :o

6. Pug

Back on topic... :D

Does anyone know if the EMI 100 uses analog or digital tapes? The reason I ask is I recall reading somewhere that some of the EMI 100 LPs used digital sources. When I A/B'd the EMI 100 LP against the DSotM CD that was in the Shine On box, they sounded identical to me. Could have been my equipment back then.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it was digital.

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Just get the 30th Anniversary edition and call it a day--great vinyl, great sound, guaranteed-new condition--that's hard to top!

9. Pug

Plus you get all the posters and stickers. :cool:

AND a new poster.

It sounds pretty good to boot. A little sibilant with my current cart but....

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

What tapes were used for the 30th anniversary?

11. Pug

The original masters IIRC.

12. Pug

13. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Thanks, Ben. You already know that I most highly value your opinions.

And YES! we are extremely lucky to W.B. (he's da man!).

Because of W.B., I don't feel the need to memorize all the pressing plant and other information, which are so very important. If I need an answer, I just post and W.B. has ALWAYS come through with the most accurate and incredibly helpful answer.

I just love this Forum. :righton:

14. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I thought that that one was cut from digital tapes also. I thought it actually stated that on the cover or a sticker. I had that one too once. I remember that the cover was made of quality material but the record sounded to bright to me (as if EQ'd). But then again, my memory is not that great.

15. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The 100th anniversary edition was from the digital master
    There was much groaning over here from the audio fraternity about that one!

I've managed to win the Canadian for a few dollars as it had only one of the posters but I kept the original set of posters plus stickers so it's no big deal.

.....there's no dark side of the moon really....as a matter of fact it's all dark....

Regards,

16. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I agree. I have a nice UK Harvest 2nd pressing with A/3 B/3 Matrix numbers and feel it sound better than my MoFi and 30th Anniversary Edition. :righton:

caravan70 likes this.
  17. I'll do a quick chime in regarding the 30th Anniv. LP. This is one that I re-recorded at half speed. (See the thread about half speed recording. http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=119716&highlight=half+speed)
    I also experienced some "bright" and sibilance - especially during "Money". But playing the album at 1/2 speed (even 3/4 speed) helped a bit. Then just adjust the digital playback double the KHz. (i.e. if it's recorded at 48k, then adjust playback to 96k.) Don't do anything to the bits. Keep it at 16, 24 or 32 bits - whatever you recorded it at. Beware not to convert the KHz, you'll just be changing it and not adjusting the playback rate.
    This is something I've been playing with for a while with an "old" turntable that I internally changed the pitch to go down to half speed. Sometimes it works, sometimes there's no difference.

-Bill

18. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Came across a new edition of DSOTM in my local store (Netherlands pressing). The sticker says it features all original stuff, like posters and all. As it's an import, it'd cost me around 40 bucks. Is it any worth to get?
    thanks

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I am happy with my US "wly" copy. I think it sounds really good.

20. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that. Hearing Steve's thoughts on Dark Side 30th Anniversary (I'm assuming that's the version he was talking about) made my day. I'm a great fan of this album, but when I played it just earlier today, it sounded a little thin near the end. A little squishy. I wasn't sure if this was inner-groove distortion (I'm using a Project Debut III with the cheap standard cart), or if there was another reason. So reading these threads does put my mind at ease.

The only other vinyl Dark Side I've owned was an old US pressing, and it sounded good, but a little flat. The 30th Anniversary just smoked it. And, of course, you get all these cool stickers, and all the old posters are updated. The poster of Pink Floyd has some new shots, and it's much cooler imho, and the extra poster showing 30 prisms was really great. They're all pinned to my ceiling in my "college dorm room" bedroom, haha.

I'm really curious to hear the different Dark Sides on vinyl. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the records shops and see what I find. I've no problem with owning several versions of the same album, so this is just another fan trip for me.

21. jcs

jcs Member

i have a 'wly' usa copy as well, i really think it could be better though,it seems to lack dynamics.

22. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

So the choice is clear as mud by now LOL

PopularChuck likes this.
  23. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Great info, as always, but can you shed some light on what exactly is the nature of the "glitch" and whereabouts in the track does it appear? I only ask because I own a UK solid blue triangle with A/2,B/2 matrix numbers and didn't notice a glitch. In fact, I have compared it with the following:

UK blue-rimmed triangle label A/3, B/3 pressing
    Japanese EMI/Odeon solid blue triangle
    Japanese Pro Use
    MFSL

and it beats them all.

LitHum05 likes this.
  24. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Count me as the fifth person. I love Sung's posts! Very informative!

Rob9874 likes this.
  25. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I've got an Australian - light blue thin rimmed triangle - Quad GHVL804 pressing with A/2 and B/1 matrix - does this have the same "glitch" whatever that is (pl explain anyone?) - Infact would this have been pressed in Oz or UK in 1973? Any expert able to shine some light would be very welcome. It sounds GREAT btw :)

Munger74 likes this.