Best vinyl Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

Thanks all, the reason I ask is that I found a side B wly that I really liked. I play every copy I find without looking at the matrices so that I can be as objective as possible when I listen to it.

Rick

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have the very early UK vinyl and had the noisy surface but after (very) heavy and extensive cleaning, the surface made clean as a Japanese vinyl.
    It is a common problem with the UK EMI vinyl formulation around the time. I have quite many ASD (classical) vinyls and they have been noisy (with quasi pop noise, too) in common before the cleaning.

3. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I've been a believer of cleaning all vinyl, new and used, for many years now, but I have never given any a second cleaning. If I cleaned an LP once and it was still noisy, I just thought that that was it, just noisy vinyl. You're saying multiple cleaning cycles can quite some of those noisy pressings? Not all, but some?

-Mike

Dzongkha likes this.
  4. klownschool

I have found this to be true. Sometimes a 3rd cleaning as well.

Best,
    Rick

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Seriously speaking, I do often 10th or 20th cleaning for a vinyl copy.
    In most cases, the effect becomes lesser after the third. But you will be rewarded if the labor is not effective.

Sometimes I do extensive cleaning not to reduce surface noise but to get more information off the groove.
    For instance, it took a whole month to clean out my copy of the UK Y/B Sgt Peppers which looked mint tbw. And I was very rewarded.

6. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

If you're interested in the German pressings, try to get the 1C 062-05 249 as above but with the A-2/B-2 stampers. It has been mentioned in other forum threads about the vinyl DSOTM and is supposed to sound better than the A1/B1. I have a copy - it's very good, but still a notch below the UK A3/B3 IMO.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I compared that German pressing recently to my favorite UK pressing - a plain old, late 70's - but quiet NM one - with (IIRC) -6/-10 matrices, and it took us less than minute to pick the UK for its tone and presence. When the voices/vocals swell together (for one example) the difference was real noticeable - the UK's sound was bigger, wider, deeper, and importantly, more real sounding and less like a 'good recording'.

GyroSE likes this.
  8. klownschool

Would you mind going into detail on your procedure for cleaning in another thread? I would really like to hear your method and I believe others could benefit as well.

Thanks!
    Rick

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, most of the records I encounter that have inexplicable crackle and noise are mid 1970s UK EMI pressings. It is very frustrating!

I would also be very interested to learn about your method of cleaning the UK records. Thank you!

10. TLMusic

It is interesting that you also favor a later 70s UK pressing. Really, the quality of the UK mastering seems to be consistently high throughout the run--even though the earlier UK pressings get all the attention and sell for significantly more money.

Do you prefer your -6/-10 for the mastering or for the quiet surfaces?

11. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I've got to hear on of these UK copies because I have a US Harvest that I dated to around 1975 and it sounds fantastic.

12. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Just picked up a used copy of this vinyl yesterday. It is in great shape and includes all of the inserts (2 posters and stickers). Didn't really need it as I happy with ny MFSL CD and the SACD, but this was a hole in my vinyl collection. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I was wondering what I have....

Capitol
    Side A:
    Label: SMAS-11163 (SMAS-1-11163)
    Dead Wax: SMAS-1-1163-H74#3 ML Mastered by Capitol
    Side B
    Label: SMAS-11163 (SMAS-2-11163)
    Dead Wax: SMAS-2-11163 G-70#5 Mastered by Capitol

I'm guessing it is a lter pressing. I've read through this thread and did not see any stampers that looked like this?

thanks,
    Bill

13. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Hi Bill,

I'll add it to the PFA database if you can tell me what the label looks like and if it has a bar code on the back cover.

Thanks.

14. third

third Well-Known Member

i believe this was originally cut buy harry moss at abbey road.

15. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

The label is the black Capitol label with the rainbow border.
    Bar code on the back is 7777-11163-1

Matches the description found on this site:
    http://digidownload.libero.it/mrpinky/tdsotm_usa.htm

"Capitol Records SMAS-11163

5^ edizione della Capitol Records, con all'interno i due posters ei due adesivi, copertina nera apribile semilucida con il prisma colorato, presenta un codice a barre sul retro della copertina in alto a destra, bianco, con il numero "0 7777-11163-1", in basso a destra riporta un piccolo logo della EMI bianco con "®" ea sinistra il logo della Capitol ovale, poi riporta la scritta "MANUFACTURED BY CAPITOL RECORDS INC. A SUBSIDIARY OF CAPITOL INDUSTRIES-EMI INC. HOLLYWOOD & VINE STREETS, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA FACTORIES JACKSONVILLE ILLINOIS WINCHESTER VIRGINIA ALL RIGHTS RESERVED UNAUTHORIZED DUPLICATIONS IS A VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAWS . 1973 THE GRAMAPHONE COMPANY LIMITED. 1973 CAPITOL RECORDS INC. PRINTED IN USA", sul bordo del disco riporta "PINK FLOYD . THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" a sinistra e "SMAS-11163" a destra, all'interno della copertina mostra la scritta in basso a destra "Copyright (C) TRO Hampishire House Publishing Corp. All Rights Reserved", include sempre i due posters ed i due adesivi, etichetta nera della Capitol con il bordo esterno multicolorato (arcobaleno), logo ovale della Capitol in alto, con sotto "PINK FLOYD THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON", al centro riporta un grosso "1" a sinistra, mentre a destra riporta il numero di catalogo "SMAS-11163" e quello addizionale "(SMAS-1-11163)", scaletta dei brani in basso, numerata con titolo, tempi, crediti e "ASCAP", le scritte intorno all'etichetta iniziano in alto a sinistra (ore 10) e dicono "Mfd. by Capitol Records, Inc., a subsidiary of Capitol Industries-EMI, Inc., USA - Capitol Marca Reg.", numeri sulla matrice 5th edition of Capitol Records, within the two posters and two stickers, semi-gloss black cover can be opened with the prism colored, has a barcode on the back cover top right, white, with the number "0 7777 -- 11163-1 ", bottom right shows a small logo of EMI white" ® "and left the Capitol oval logo, then says" MANUFACTURED BY CAPITOL RECORDS INC.. a subsidiary of EMI CAPITOL INDUSTRIES-INC. HOLLYWOOD & VINE STREETS, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA FACTORIES JACKSONVILLE ILLINOIS WINCHESTER VIRGINIA ALL RIGHTS RESERVED UNAUTHORIZED duplications IS A VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAWS. 1973 The Gramaphone Company Limited. 1973 CAPITOL RECORDS INC.. PRINTED IN USA "on the disc says" PINK FLOYD. THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON "on the left and" SMAS-11163 "on the right inside cover shows the words at the bottom right" Copyright (C) TRO Hampishire House Publishing Corp. All Rights Reserved, always includes two posters and the two stickers, black label with the outer edge of Capitol multicolored (rainbow), oval logo at the top of the Capitol, with below "PINK FLOYD THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON", the center gives a big "1" on the left, while right shows the number of catalog "SMAS-11163" and the additional "(SMAS-1-11163), the lineup of songs below, numbered with the title, time, credit and" ASCAP ", written around the label began in top left (10 am) and say, "Mfd. by Capitol Records, Inc., a subsidiary of Capitol Industries-EMI, Inc., USA - Capitol Marca Reg", numbers on the matrix "

16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Better mastering, but also - a better source used. The surface thing is important, but not as important as 'best possible' sound. I'd rather listen to a best pressing with a little noise over a clean quiet one that's not as present / realistic sounding.

MetalliJoe, caravan70 and Dzongkha like this.
  17. TLMusic

I just picked up a Near Mint UK A-9 B-8 pressing. It's quite awesome as well--sure sounds like it was cut from a master tape.

A9 B8 is not cut as hot as the A3 B3 version, which is definitely beefier. But I am hearing different details on the later pressing that makes it very enjoyable.

18. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I was a little hesitant to pick up the 30th Anniversary due to the sibilance problems I'd read about. I took the plunge and was surprised and delighted to hear nothing of the kind. it's sounds fantastic.

19. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Thanks.

I assume this was pressed at the Jacksonville, Illinois plant.

Correct?

20. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I'll get back to you on that as I am at work and the lp is at home. As I recall there is a lot of additional scribbling that is difficult to read. Now that I have read through the info on your site, it might make a bit more sense. I'll post more later....

21. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Side 1 has what appears to be a stamped 0. It also has a circle with an X inside just after the SMAS-1-11163-H74#3

Side 2 has smaller writing, has a handwritten 0. However side 2 also has
    "-------<|" that looks like it was scratched out. This is followed by a small cursively written ER or E2?

22. Jan

Jan New Member

While people are zooming around the state trying to find Beatles CDs a few days early, I picked up a like-new German Harvest this morning at a garage sale, with the stampers 05249A-2 / 05249B-2. The cover has some wear, VG I guess.

It cost me 20 cents, so I guess I did all right. :)

23. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Active Member

How would a 1973 Harvest copy of DSOTM, with Matrix nos' a-8 and b-7, sound?

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yes that the best one of the german pressings. The -1 is not even close to the -2's

25. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

About the only ones I do not have

Are the Pro Use and the 1st UK pressing. I have a ton of others, 100 EMI, 30th aniv, MFSL and the UHQR, UK 2nd and 3rd pressings, Dutch and German pressings and a few others. I think the MFSL UHQR may have most detail, it certainly has the best vinyl (200 gm JVC super vinyl). The EMI 100th anv edition has a unique sound to it, which may or may not appeal to every one. Many prefer the Dutch and German pressings, I like them very much myself. So, which single one is the best? Not really sure that there is just one best.

GyroSE likes this.