Best Vinyl Outer-Sleeves for Displaying Spine?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find that most of the outer-sleeves I have make the spine of the album harder to see. Are there any ones out there that don't do this? I know I have a few (such as the one which came with Rush's Vapor Trails remix for example) which are short by about an inch, so that the spine can be displayed, but the cover can be protected as well. Are these types of outer-sleeves available for purchase anywhere? Thanks.

2. Zach Johnson

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think you're limited in terms of finding a Canadian source but I think both Sleeve City and Bags Unlimited (both US based) have some. But since they're US based expect to pay a lot for shipping.

4. Zach Johnson

But do they have specific types of sleeves that are designed to show the spine? If so, which ones?

5. I've not seen the type of sleeves you are after, but.....couldn't you resize them with a ruler and an exacto knife?

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't checked those sites in a while but I remember Sleeve City actually specifying one sleeve as having readable spines.

Over all though I find that if the fit is fairly snug and the sleeve is crystal clear (most are somewhat cloudy) reading the spine isn't too bad. I noticed this yesterday while browsing my collection and coming across some records in those Japanese mylar sleeves. Have you tried those?

Zach Johnson likes this.
  7. Zach Johnson

Yeah I've considered that, but it might take a while :D

8. mishh

mishh New Member

I go the other way on this. I like my outer sleeves to be OVER SIZED. The excess sleeve creates a window to view the spine perfectly and also creates a handle to grab the record without squeezing the spine. I use the Sleeve City PP RESEALable. On inner sleeves, I prefer smaller since the real estate inside is limited.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

At one time, used to use oversized ones to group two or three non-gatefolds together from like time periods (my albums are arranged chronologically). I've since opted for the one-album-to-a-sleeve "system". But I do prefer them slightly loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.