Best vinyl pressing of Eric Clapton Slowhand?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kenreau, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenreau

kenreau Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm getting back in to vinyl and this Slowhand album has always been a favorite of mine. I would like to track down the current sonic holy grail pressing. I did a search here and did not find the same topic previously posted, so here it is.

In skimming some online stores, I see the following pressings available.

Universal Records Japanese Import 200 gram $50

Universal Records (domestic ? US? not noted) 180 gram $35

Polydor (domestic ? US? not noted) 180 gram $20

I think I recall MFSL may have done a pressing some time ago as well?

Original pressings? USA? UK? other?

Recorded May 1977, Olympic Studios, London

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks
    Kenreau

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have a UK original pressing (mastered at Masterdisk) and an original US pressing (mastered at The Mastering Lab). Either of these are the ones to go for, all the others are crud!

JG

gorangers, McLover and Evan Guest like this.
  3. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

The MFSL vinyl sound's wonderful.
    Also to be considered is a Nautilus press of Just one night which contain's many live version's of Slowhand that are fantastic.

Terry likes this.
  4. kenreau

Excellent. Thanks for the input. Could I trouble you for matrix info/numbers to look for?

Thanks
    Kenreau

5. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Mine is made in Sweden. It also has the Mastedisk stamp in the matrix. I guess it is very similar to the original UK pressing.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

UK or West German RSO original LP pressing for me. Both sound excellent and have clean surfaces as a rule. The US RSO original sounds great but many are noisy.

7. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I have the MSFL -- I like it a lot

funknik likes this.
  8. James Glennon

UK...

RS-1-3030-A MASTERDISK 2479201 A1
    RS-1-3030-B MASTERDISK 2479201 B1

US...

RS-1-3030-AS BW-1 TML-M
    RS-1-3030 -BS BW-1 TML-M

Personally, I think the MFSL is crap compared to either of the above. Don't waste your money on it. Either the UK or US pressing can be picked up dirt cheap. Enjoy!

JG

9. kenreau

Thanks JG! and all. I will put this on my list.

Kenreau

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Bumping this old thread, wondering if our community has any further thoughts regarding the best vinyl version of Eric Clapton - Slowhand.

11. James Glennon

I haven't heard anything better than the original UK or original US. I also have a Japanese pressing of it and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs LP, I don't rate them at all!

JG

Cliff and John Grimes like this.
  12. TLMusic

Do you have any preference between the UK and the US?

The reason I ask, I just stumbled upon a slightly beat up UK pressing. It's A//2 B//1 with 'Masterdisk' on side two only. It sparked my interest in this album, having never owned a copy.

Also wondering if both Masterdisk and TML versions exist for the US pressings. Seems somewhat strange that the UK's would be mastered at Masterdisk and the US would get The Mastering Lab treatment instead. That's a lot of fancy mastering at the time of release.

Cassius likes this.
  13. James Glennon

When I did a shootout I felt at the time they sounded pretty much the same. I have improved my system since then so I must do another comparison. I have seen loads of UK pressings and they all had Masterdisk DC (DC being Dave Crawford, the D is superimposed over the C), either UK or US is better than anything else I have heard.

JG

TLMusic likes this.
  14. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I had the MFSL for a while and thought it sounded great - I'm not a fan of the album however and sold it off.

Mr.Sneis likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The MFSL.

16. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

I'm listening to my German copy now; side two is mastered by Joe Gastwirt at Masterdisk. Side two sounds better than side one, imo, which is murky and dense sounding...

Later, Chris

McLover likes this.
  17. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I usually just listen to the MSFL gold disc but just realized I've got what looks to be an original domestic with TML stamped in the deadwax. I'll have to spin this and give a listen.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Any comparisons to the vinyl that came with the 35th anniversary deluxe edition? I thought it sounded pretty good but my only comparison was to a beat up US copy.

19. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I thought the new one in the 35th box was a fantastic pressing with great mastering. I sold my original US because of it.

20. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Doug Sax TML original for me, that what my WLP is

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I also thought that the 2013 issue sounded great. The version in the deluxe box is on lightweight vinyl, I believe, whereas the standalone version is very heavy (180 or 200 grams).

22. TLMusic

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but who did the mastering for this new reissue, and did they use an analog source?

23. AJH

AJH Senior Member

For some reason, I think the MFSL vinyl sounds better (more detailed) than the MFSL Gold CD.

AJH

24. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I was looking at my TML for a clue about the mastering but didn't find one. Can I ask how we know Doug Sax did the original? Thanks.

25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

It was/is his shop, I know he had other folks working for him, but can't imagine him giving a high profile artist like Clapton to one of his understudies

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.