Best vinyl pressing of Neil Young's "Zuma"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reggie ho, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Capitol cut, "not early" copy.

2. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I have the same matrix numbers for my regular-issue copy, bought used a few years ago. Looks like I lucked out with a first pressing!

BTW, you really can't go wrong with any of Neil's 70's US Reprise albums, sonically-wise (or music-wise, for that matter). Neil's took a personal interest in getting the best-sounding mastering, even rejecting several test pressings of Comes a Time. Early pressings of Harvest, Tonight's the Night, and Zuma are all audiophile quality, IMHO.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

This is my favorite Neil Young album. I only have it on CD, unfortunately, but it will no doubt be included in the next Blu-ray box from Neil, Archives Vol. 2. So I'll wait for that before picking up any other version.

For those of you who haven't checked out Archives Vol. 1, you're really missing out. The sound is phenomenal and the Neil did an excellent job with the content and even the packaging. He really set the benchmark for releasing an archive--it's all in 24/192. You can check out the review here.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue44/young.htm

The next set will probably include all Neil's material from '73 to '84. Can't wait!

4. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

Crapp...thanks Ben. Is there a site where this NY info is handy? Like the pinkfloydarchives site, which is fan-freakin-tastic BTW...

5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Mine is 1G/1H and sounds very good

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My copy is Zuma is one of the highlights of my collection. Incredible sound. That and my UK copy of Tonights The Night can make me weep, that's how good they sound.

MS 2242 31966-1F
    MS 2242 31967-1H

Tonights The Night:

MS 2221 31884-RE-1
    MS 2221 31885 -1B

My TNN says "Export Hello/Goodbye Waterface" in the grooves.

7. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

OK...I scored ANOTHER copy of ZUMA here's the codes:

MS 2242 31966-1C 1T
    MS 2242 31967-1E 1T

earlier 1 st press maybe? give it to me...TIA

8. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

With the volume of unreleased material in the mid 70's I think 1984 is pushing it a bit. I estimate about '79...

9. dh3rm3

dh3rm3 Forum Resident

Exact same here. It sounds very good.

10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Says who? Just curious how you know that, he is not credited on the sleeve!

JG

11. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

MS2242 31966-1B (S2 and SX lightly handwritten after that, and then A8 lightly handwritten 180 degrees away)

MS2242 31967-1B (S1 lightly handwritten after that, and then AB or A13 lightly handwritten 180 degrees away)

Sounds great. What have I got?

12. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

MS 2242 31966-1C 1T
    MS 2242 31967-1C 1T

Promo:
    MS 2242 31966-1B
    MS 2242 31967-1B

MS 2242 31966-1A
    MS 2242 31967-1B

MS 2242 31966-1H
    MS 2242 31967-1H

The 1C being the best for both sides.

13. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

James it is the only record I have seen that has the mastering credit on the record label, but it is unlikely he mastered all or even most of them. Mine is 1H on both sides. No initials though, he initialed a lot of his OJC stuff, anybody have a Zuma with GH in the wax?

14. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Yes this is an early copy, and should sound great!

15. Stark

Stark Member

My Canadian copy just has

ms 2242 31966
    ms 2242 31967

no other matrix number

Complete with textured cover, textured cardboard inner sleeve, textured tip-in lyric sheet.

Any thoughts on what this is as far dating the stampers?

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Same as mine.

abescan likes this.
  17. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

anyone have the copy readily available in stores now? sound any good? i see it going for under $20 regularly

18. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Mine is a first Italian press with gatefold sleeve and sound fantastic.
    My favorite N.Y. album along "On The Beach"

19. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Mine is identical and I bought this when it came out back in the day [1975].

20. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I don't know what pressing of Zuma that I have. It's on the tan Reprise label. It sounds great. Deep, rich, with a wide soundstage. Better than the CD, which is nice, but blah (by comparison.)

I'd be happy with either, though, Zuma is zooming itself to the top of the Neil Young album heap for me. Songs like Barstool Blues are hardly bettered in his catalog, IMO.

gramfan likes this.
  21. Hi all,

I wondered if anyone can shed further light on my copy of Zuma. I don't know anything about matrix numbers, etc, and you all seem very knowledgeable!

The version of Zuma I have has two songs twice and two songs not at all. On Side A 'Pardon My Heart' is replaced by 'Through My Sails' and 'Lookin' For A Love' is replaced by 'Stupid Girl'. Side B plays as expected.

It's from 1975, made in Germany, Reprise Records (REP 54057). Labels, sleeve and insert are as per usual.

The markings on Side A are:
    WEA 31966-1A (all etched on, with three small I's next to the 1A - i.e. III)
    PF (underneath)
    'Manufactured in Germany ("printed" on)

The markings on Side B are:
    MS 2242 31967-1B (etched on)
    'Manufactured in Germany ("printed" on)

I noticed another member with the same matrix numbers, but I assume he has the correct songs on his lp!

Just wondering if this was a common mistake or not, and if there was a website I could check out that would tell me more about this sort of thing?

Brilliant record, regardless! Bought this copy at a second-hand store after losing my first somewhere along the way in a house move last month. My favourite NY record changes most weeks but this is the one I listen to most. Have had to order another copy so I can hear the full thing though...!

Anyway, any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

22. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Went back and bought the one I saw. Textured cover is mint, no dirt or ringwear. Has the lyric insert too. 1E/1E matrix. A quick cleaning and playing this eve!

23. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I have another one:
    MS 2242 31966-1D IT
    MS 2242 31967-1E IT

The inner sleeve artwork is great also:
    [​IMG]
    Photo Aug 19, 7 32 28 PM by aspenhusker, on Flickr

Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

24. Side 1: MS 2242 31966 1B
    Side 2: MS 2242 31967 1B

Also has the faint "S" handwritten on each side following the number, with "A" 180 degrees from it. Can't quite make it out.

Sounds amazing. One of the best sounding LPs I own. Also the insert is great as it looks like an aged white on a guitar, :).

25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Bumping this thread because of the quality of this music and recording. I decided to do a Monday night listening session.

Mine is a 1H/1H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.