Best way to clean lps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rck60s, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I used the KAB EV years ago. It works fine. It's a workable solution, but I found having to devote a home vacuum to it meant I wound up rarely using it. For $200 I went with the Record Doctor and it's just so much more convenient that I find I do use it. With the EV-1 retailing for $170 now and the Record Doctor only $30 more, I just think the latter is a better solution.

2. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

The Record Doctor V looks great. Cleaning without the turntable is really slick. Once again, if You use the Record Doctor V with the Spin-Clean You could clean both sides of the record in about three minutes. Plus, it could go right from the Doctor into the new sleeve without any air drying. I think Zi would hit both sides with the ZeroStat, and You would essentially have the record cleaner than new, with no static. I may have to get a Record Doctor V. It sounds like the vacuum is pretty powerful too. Is the soft part that contacts the record replaceable?

3. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Yes Sir, I will second that......... Got mine for Christmas last year. It was like a equipment upgrade. I never knew, my records could sound as clean as a CD. The dynamics of my records really increased. I bought a mini shop-vac from Target, that is dedicated to the KAB EV-1.

4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Another recommendation for the Spin Clean. I use a microfiber towel called Play Kleen to hand dry the records before air drying. They are made for golf, and are so much softer and more absorbent than any other towel I've tried.

Also, if I'm cleaning used, dirty records, I'll pre-clean with a mild bath cleanser called Method before the SpinClean, and it works great.

Deryl Johnson likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use the AIVS products with my Okki Nokki and think that they're best you can buy.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cleaning discs ?
    Heard about leaving CDs overnight in a freezer. What about Vinyl ?

7. Deryl Johnson

Thanks for the tip om Play Klean. The towels that com with Spin-Clean work great, but they get saturated pretty fast. It's fine since I have a pile of them, but I'll get some Play Kleen and try 'em.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

You'll only need a couple of them. I can do 40-50 records with two, and they're dry in half an hour.

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It is replaceable. You have to have Audio Advisor send you some of the felt (which I think may be self adhesive) and call 'em to have 'em send it. If you buy it online their system is only set up for $15 minimum shipping -- but in this case, with an item they can just slip in a letter sized envelope, they'll be happy to mail it too you, you just need to ask an actual human. No reason to pay 5X the cost of the item for shipping (or, if you're buying the machine for the first time, make sure to have 'em sent you a couple of replacements.)

FWIW, I find with the Record Doctor I get no static build up -- because you're rotating by hand you can rotate slower than the motor-driven machines and you don't build up a static charge the way the motor-driven machines do.

10. Deryl Johnson

It looks like the perfect partner for Spin-Clean. I'm not rich, so You have to be creative to set Your system up. With Spin-Clean, cpboth sides are wet, so You would just use the Doctor to dry. The two machines in unison would work perfectly to get a pile of records cleaned in a hurry.

11. volta

volta Forum Resident

I would suggest trying something like the spin clean and getting a good carbon brush like the audioquest. Unless you have a larger budget and can afford the fancier machines, just keep it simple.
    I analyzed and obsessed over finding the best method, and finally realized that for me, I just needed a good inexpensive solution that wasn't time consuming and expensive. I've used spin clean for a couple years, and it works well enough. I also digitize my vinyl and just decided to go with it instead of obsessing over every single detail and step. It's enough to drive you crazy. Use it as instructed, don't make your own solution, use the spin clean one, use distilled water, and some good towels like the Play Klean suggested above. Keep your stylus clean and use a new anti static sleeve for each record and you're done. No need to make it complicated. Records are meant to be listened to and enjoyed, when it becomes obsessive and super fanatical, then it loses the enjoyable part. Just my opinion

econalan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.