Best way to go for budget CD playback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by joeriz, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I bought the Sony DVP-875 5 disc carousel SACD/CD/DVD player at Sears last week for $75. (It was an open box special). It may be the best $75 I've ever spent on an audio product at retail...Amazingly good SACD reproduction. CD is fine. DVD is very good.

Kwad

2. toobwacky

toobwacky New Member

I too was looking for a CDP in this price range. After A LOT of research, I bought a SONY W2000ES for $450. It's a dual well deck with a 5 disc changer on one side and CD recorder on the other. Its sound continues to please me greatly after owning it for 6 months. It's also a drop dead gorgeous piece (in silver) that's built like a tank. Extraordinary value for the money.

Be aware though that I've owned a lot of the better SONY gear over the years (TVs, tons of audio gear & a camera) and have had too many reliability problems with it to stick with the brand. My SONY digital camera recently started acting up and that was the final straw for me. No more SONY products for me. Too bad because the brand usually offers innovative, feature laden products.

I just hope my W2000ES continues to operate because I love it!

tw

3. joeriz

joeriz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmmm... :idea: I'm intrigued by the idea of one of the new Sony's (either the DVP-NC685V or the 595) with an outboard DAC. Sounds like this might give me both good redbook and good SACD performance.

Joe

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Actually the Denon 2910 sounds good except for the DVD-A portion. The artical says that it sounds like DVD-A is muffeled, like someone put a hand over the mouth of the vocalists. Other that that, it is a shining review.

5. GP

GP Senior Member

I'm curious to know if anyone thinks that an old Sony from the X7**ES series would still be a viable option at this price point? I'm still using one.

6. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I have an old Sony CDP-361. Single disc. It never gave me any probs in over a decade. I put it on my bookshelf system after picking up a newer Sony 5-disc and a Pioneer SACD/DVD-A combo for my main system. Are you saying to get the upper-end Sony's or would one of these $120 models suffice?

7. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I just picked up one of these for my mother-in-law for CD and DVD use. CD playback seemed fine, if unremarkable. I haven't tried a SACD yet.

8. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I just picked up one of these for my mother-in-law for CD and DVD use. CD playback seemed fine, if unremarkable. I haven't tried a SACD yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.