Best way to sell records*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lanny, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanny

Lanny New Member Thread Starter

What is the best way that is NOT the auction site?
    I just wonder because the store near me that buys music only gives you pennies
    Really like pennies
    I have things from my father that I probably won't keep he was kind of a hoarder
    Is craigslist good for this you think?
    Also, does this forum allow any selling? I cannot find it in the rules
    Could someone please direct to the specific rules about selling stuff if at all, asking about value and things like that?
    I'm fairly new to vinyl obviously but always wonder about value how much to pay should I sell something I stumbled on that's good but that I just don't want etc
    Thanks
    Lanny

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best to check eBay to give you some indication regarding prices of your collection.

3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

lightbulb likes this.
  4. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

5. Lanny

Thank you!
    But I am not allowed to go there - talking about the forum HERE at Mr. Hoffman's place
    What is the rule - is there a fee or something to join?
    Thanks
    Lanny

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You can access our Marketplace after 50 posts, and 30 days has passed.

7. Lanny

Thanks MYKE

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You're welcome, in both senses of the word. You're going to like it here. A lot of us came, and never left. :laugh:

Paully likes this.
  9. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

[​IMG]

10. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

There is a record show that comes to our town every few months. A small dealer's table costs about $50.00. Invest in one, or go in on one with a friend, and see what you can get. I was surprised what sold vs. what didn't:

Sold: KISS, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, John Lennon, Yes (I couldn't bring myself to sell my Beatles records)

Did non sell: Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Elton John, Rush, Paul, George & Ringo.

I sold about 1/3 of my collection and made better than $500.00. I still have the other 2/3rds. One of these days, I'll try again.

patient_ot and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Wow! How did you settle on an asking price for what you were selling beforehand, and how much were you prepared to lower the prices by? Did you find you were good at haggling?

lightbulb likes this.
  12. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I'd do some research and separate the wheat from the chafe first

If you dont need the money ASAP, Discogs is best bet. I put stuff on there and it sells eventually. If you have...500 records, 200 of which can command $15+, Discogs. The rest, a couple of dollars each? You could try to sell the lot on Craigslist, but Craigslist isnt that great for selling individual albums. though you could catalog and put each one on there, it doesnt hurt. it's really all about whats worth your time and how badly you want the $$

13. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

For collector items, like the original Some Girls or Street Survivors, I used Discogs to set my price. Everything else was easy - $5.00 each, $10.00 for a double album set. If they wanted several, I priced 4 for $ 18.00. I didn't deviate, I didn't haggle.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You can look up prices on Discogs or whatever as a guide, as long as you realize that the lowest price you see there is still too high for the record to have sold, because it's still sitting there. If you want the records gone price them lower and discount when people buy a stack. If you have a few good records ($40 up) price them at half that and they'll move. Set up as early as possible so other dealers can come by and buy a bunch of your stuff before they let the commoners in.

15. Lanny

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions
    I just have some duplicate material I was thinking I MIGHT want to eventually sell and use the proceeds to buy other records to actually play
    Not really interested in becoming any kind of seller
    I've looked up a few of his things and the prices all seem to be all over the place
    A bunch of new stuff like Beatles and Led Zeppelin my father stock piled back in the day when I was like 3 or 4 years old but not rare originals or anything but still new and when my local store buyer offered me basically nothing it just blew me away
    I'm just not down for the ebay thing maybe I've bought like two or three things off ebay in my life and none of them were records
    Maybe it's because of all the constant reissues?
    There used to be like a record lovers club swap meet type thing around here when I was a lot younger my dad used to go to but not anymore - not within driving distance anyway
    I have like a ton of his stuff and a lot of it I play and will keep and this surplus can stay here forever before I just start giving it away but the store's offer just kinda shocked me
    He would buy a lot of vinyl whenever he had extra cash and just put it in a wooden cupboard thing he built
    Sometimes he would sell and trade with friends whatever some of it he just wanted to keep
    This was all way before vinyl records really came back so strong
    That's what made me wonder what other people are doing that aren't in some sort of business
    Thanks for all your ideas and input!
    Lanny

16. Lanny

I'll just chill and when I am eligible to post here I'll make a post about what I have and maybe some of you guys might be interested or maybe even local
    Or at least better tell me what I've got
    Lanny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.