best way to timbre match center speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Denti, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I play a pink noise text pattern my center speaker sounds very different from my left and right. That's obviously because it is a completely different brand a style of speaker. My L/R are Klipsch Forte IIs. My center is an Infinity.

Anyway, I have adjusted the db on these to output at the same volume, which helps with sound. And my receiver allows for EQ on the individual speakers, so it would be nice to adjust the C channel to have it better match the L/R. But how?

I can't do a real-time adjustment, because the sound cuts out when I adjust the EQ. Any suggestions?

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Have you run the auto-calibration feature on your receiver?

3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I don't think EQ can cure this. There's more to the sound of a driver than frequency response

gd0 and PhilBiker like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The best way to assure timbre matching is to get a Klipsch center that best matches up with the Forte IIs. I'm far from an expert on speakers but it would seem unlikely that any auto EQ system is going to timbre match speakers.

Awhile back I upgraded my Salk SongTowers with Salk 1801TLs. I ordered a matching 1801B center but it took 6-8 weeks to arrive. I used the existing Song Center till the 1801B arrived. Everything sounded fine as the Song Center has the same tweeter as the 1801TLs. Different bass drivers though. When the 1801B center arrived I noticed a much smoother blend with the 1801TLs. This being speakers from the same company. Using a center from a different speaker company as your R & L speakers is not the best for overall SQ IMO.

Bill

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If the OP isn't willing to swap out his current center, this may be all he can do.

Running the auto-cal will be a more efficient use of time than doing repeated manual eq changes/listening trials.

6. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's not all that bad. I don't listen to 5.1 music, so it's only ever with films and TV that the speaker ever even comes into play. So it would be nice to do some minor tweaks with EQ.

Though: I'm happy to switch out the speaker. I'm just unsure about two things:

1) I used to used B&W 601 for L/R, and I went out of my way to find a matching B&W center. It was horrible, really really dark by comparison to the L/R. That's why I got the Infinity, which matched the B&Ws much better. So: getting the "right" speaker is obviously not always the solution.

2) What would the matching center speaker be for the Forte IIs, anyway? I think these speakers pre-date home theater surround.

7. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

A single Forte II would be the closest match. I have read some used a KLF-C7 with acceptable results.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Bill Mac likes this.
  8. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL I remember in the late 90s I had a pair of B&W DM602 speakers. I got the matching CC6. It sounded nothing like the 602s and I got rid of it soon after. I replaced it with a third DM602 and had perfect front sound field with three identical speakers for a long time. Identical speakers is the best. But in most cases, the best you can do is get the "matching" center. In my movie room I now run Sony SS-F6000 speakers with the matching center, and it sounds much closer in timbre to the main L/R than my old CC6 did with the DM602s. That could be because of the calibration feature on my receiver now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.