Bethlehem Records reissue program relaunch by Verve on CD and LP and iTunes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Dubmart, RiRiIII and pghmusiclover like this.
  2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks! Especially thse 10" look very tempting!!

A note: it is not VerVe records that reissues the titles; VerSe records does.

"About Verse Music Group:
    Verse Music Group is a global entertainment company based in New York City founded by award-winning music industry veterans Curt Frasca and Sabelle Breer in 2010.
    Verse Music Group owns over 50,000 copyrights through the acquisition of iconic brands and music catalogs such as, Salsoul Records, West End Records, Bethlehem Records and Golden Records and featured songs by artists Rod Stewart, Nina Simone, Jennifer Lopez, John 5, Avril Lavigne, Commodores, Tupac, and Celine Dion among many others. Read more about Verse Music Group here."

3. Lonson

Thanks for the correction! Perhaps a gort can adjust accordingly. I read it as "Verve" . . what a brain I have.

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

reissues on LP will mean that some of the best artwork ever will become available again the way it was meant to be: http://www.birkajazz.com/archive/bethlehem.htm

They better do this right...
    Look at this cover by Burt Goldblatt:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Good news, but I hope there were some audiophile minds involved, to guarantee good mastering and also have plans for hi-rez downloads.

For the moment, this looks like any other reissue campaign. I also wonder if that music is really compatible with such "juvenile" marketing methods

action pact likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sincerely without any reason I hoped Verve to be the one. But now that it seems Verse records owns the copyright and hopefully the masters, I am very positive as well.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Amazing artwork indeed, so greatly reproduced in Japan as mini lp cds some years back (along with recordings from Savoy, Argo etc.)

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

most of those already came out

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Happy to see this because it gives me another chance to fill some gaps in my collection.

11. bibijeebies

Verse does not mention who is mastering these....

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Most of the Bethlehem CDs I have were released by Toshiba (TOCJ) in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The sound is pretty harsh, at least to my ears. Maybe this new series has better sound, or perhaps I should try the earlier Rhino reissues.

13. Lonson

I don't have an issue with the Toshiba sound (well at least those I've heard and own, they're all from the first releases not the recent years). I'm going to order the Mingus and the Comnor and hope the sound is good.

Yes, Pneski many of these have been out in the US before. That's the way of the world. They should be cheaper than Japanese releases, many of which are not in print. And there's the chance that some I have never seen on cd may be released; there are a few on the Verse label page that I have not seen on cd yet.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If the mastering and pressings are good and the price is alright there are quite a few titles there that I'll go for on vinyl.

15. bibijeebies

I count three if's and I would like to add a 4th: please reproduce the artwork in great quality too!

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

My favorite Bethlehem album is Herbie Nichols' Love, Gloom, Cash. Love with George Duvivier on bass and Dannie Richmond on drums.

RiRiIII, Hamhead and e630940 like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love Chris Connor's Bethlehem work.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Nice.

Can we get...

images.jpg

????

19. aoxomoxoa

The Sam Most album will be a definite purchase. This looks like a great reissue program. Beats the old tired Blue Note reissues that we seem to always get.

20. Lonson

Amazon has the cds for 13 and the lps for 18.

21. Lonson

Brilliant. I really like a lot of Bethlehems and am not sure which are my favorites. The two Mingus, the two Ellington, and the two Salvadors are in there. And I like the Max Bennetts and the Stu Williamson and the Ruby Braff and . . . well I like a lot of them!

22. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I hope Naxos involvement will assure good sound quality -

23. bibijeebies

The remastering for the Daddy Plays The Horn is by John Sigmon, acoording to the back cover reproduction on Amazon. Also two transfer engineers are explicitly mentioned.

24. Lonson

Got these (and so many other releases) in yesterday and listened to "The Jazz Experiments of Charlie Mingus." I have to say, this sounds very very nice, I believe it could well have been from a master tape.

25. aoxomoxoa

That's good news. Let us know how the others sound too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.