Bethlehem Records reissue program relaunch by Verve on CD and LP and iTunes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I really hesitate to make specific comments because all of our systems are different and we have different expectations. I like this one better, that's all I'll say, it' seems more open and I seem to hear into the music more. But it's not like the skies opened up and doves began descending. :)

2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

can you hear any light "tape hiss" ie no noise reduction applied? also any DR info appreciated...many thanks Theron

3. Lonson

Don't hold your breath but when this comes up in the rotation again (could be months) I'll try to remember to listen for that and try to remember to report it.

I do not do DR stuff.

Don't wait for me though, feel free to find a way to hear it yourself.

theron d likes this.
  4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Maybe Cameron can weigh in on this discussion?

5. thenamesdactyl

thenamesdactyl New Member

I haven't heard the 90's CD, but this new vinyl reissue was exceptionally good sounding. I've got an old copy of this record & this new one sounds phenomenally better IMHO. Way more depth, clarity, and overall warmth. It feels like the band is right in the room with me. I'm curious about buying some of the newer releases that are done by the same vinyl mastering people. Anyone know a good resource for finding out who's doing this & which ones are on the new re-issue list?

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Fair enough. Most of the Bethlehem stuff wasn't recorded that great to begin with.

7. CJH79

CJH79 Well-Known Member

No noise reduction was used on the new releases.

Jackie P and theron d like this.
  8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

thanks Cameron.

9. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

The Jazz Experiments Bethlehem CD was also released as Jazzical Moods (with one extra track, Abstractions) as an OJC CD. Has anyone compared the Bethlehem and OJC CDs for sound quality? I'm not sure who owns the master tapes.
    Thanks, Trevor.
    P.S. John LaPorta, who played a big part in these sessions, was a professor at Berkeley School Of Music in Boston for most of his career. I recently bought an OJC twofer of his only 50s solo albums at Newbury, nice interesting jazz.

10. Lonson

I have that OJC Limited Edition cd and two other Bethlehem cd versions. The new one sounds the best to me (did a comparison when I got this new one). Doubt I'll play the other ones.

IIRC this was initially two Period 10" and then either Bethlehem bought the tapes or leased them for a 12" release. As they continued to reissue this I figure they own them, but I could be wrong.

11. Trevor_Bartram

Thanks, Lonson, for the reply, could you please describe what it is about the new Bethlehem CD that sounds better to you? Do others agree?
    I've been on an early Mingus kick since picking up Bohemia a few months ago.

12. Lonson

This music is worth picking up in any of the versions out there, the music is great.

I think this one sounds more open and dynamic, it's a bit "louder" than some previous ones but not too loud. I tend to believe the claim that this is from the master tapes and does not sound very processed with noise reduction, etc.

13. Trevor_Bartram

Based on your recommendation (NO PRESSURE) I have ordered the Mingus, it was less than $10!!

Anyone know if Rouse/Quinchette: The Chase Is On, will be released in this new Bethlehem series?

14. Lonson

It's available from Japan in the new series, I have it and listened to it last week and can safely say WOW.

I got it from dustygroove.com for about 16 dollars total.

15. Trevor_Bartram

Thanks, but not available anytime soon according to the Verse Bethlehem news page given in the first post in this thread. I'll put it in my want list anyhow, in case it shows up later.

16. Lonson

Well, as I said it's available from Japan for very little more (seems the same mastering crew) and it sounds splendid. I didn't want to take the chance that it would not come out in this American series and glad I have it.

I picked up the new American version of Zoot Sims "Down Home" and it sounds very good. This mastering team knows what they're doing.

CJH79 likes this.
  17. Lonson

Just listened to "Hornful of Soul," "Duke Ellington Presents" and "Lou's Blues" from the new Japanese series (Solid) and really enjoy the sound. Inspired me to order a few more titles. My wallet hurts.

18. Trevor_Bartram

I just listened to Jazz Experiments and it sounds fine to me. John LaPorta was something else, very talented.

I emailed Verse regarding Rouse & Quinichette: The Chase Is On and have had no reply as yet.

19. Lonson

Glad you enjoyed Jazz Experiments. I've gotten about three dozen of the Japanese series and am enjoying them. The Chase is On is one of the best sounding.

20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Same here fearing Verse will treat the Bethlehem masters the same way Empire did with Everest brickwalling them into distortion. It looks like Verse owns Salsoul who were the owners of Bethlehem, King bought the label in 1962 and QC went down the toilet. I still wonder how the Cayre Brothers got it from King/Gusto.

I would like to get the records when available whenever the come up for sale. I'm wondering where the big albums are like Devil May Care by Bob Dorough, Cleanheads Back In Town by Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Easy Living by Joe Roland, Flamingo by Herbie Mann, Four Horns And A Lush Life, and albums by Charlie Mariano, Max Bennet, Herbie Nichols, and Jimmy Knepper (w/ Bill Evans).

[​IMG]

Gosh I hope they don't screw them up.

I still have my Bethlehem wall clock I got from them back in the 90's that's a permanent part of my mancave/record room.

Why isn't that on the release schedule, that record is a masterpiece.

21. Lonson

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Was it reissued in mono or stereo?

It's good not great, it's a reissue of the 1956 "Triple Threat" album on King.
    [​IMG]

23. Lonson

This new Simone release is stereo.

24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Hamhead:
    The Nina Simone i was referring to, "Little Girl Blue," was mono, but also released in stereo back in the 50's. I don't know if Bethlehem continues to release the record in both formats- I'd have to go up and check mine to see. (My point was simply that it's been in continuous release for a long time, not just something somebody exhumed for re-issue.)
    Lonson- what new Simone record are you referring to?

25. Lonson

Her debut, in this new Bethlehem series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.