Better Call Saul - Season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Funny to think of people only knowing Michael McKean from this.

It's a credit to him that I never think at all of his many comedic roles -- in Laverne & Shirley, in Spinal Tap, in Chris Guest's movies -- watching him play Chuck. It's a cheeky move, casting him as someone with no discernible sense of humour. But comic actors often bring interesting shades to dramatic roles that other actors wouldn't think of.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Kinda like Bob Odenkirk.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, although he's called upon to be funny fairly often in BCS.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

McKean had a non-comedic, malevolent role in ALIAS as well. . . not as protracted as this, but he was effectively menacing.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

weren't most of his roles in the 90s antagonistic and unfunny? coneheads comes to mind. he just had that typecasting going on. thank goodness for his appearance as Morris on the X-files to rekindle the comedic spirit.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I really disliked his character in "The Brady Bunch Movie"

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Have to say, that as great as this series is, I'm afraid I'm on the verge of checking out. We already know things are not going to end well, but the (almost) gratuitous turning of the screws by Chuck against Jimmy by the writers at times verges on sadism, and is starting to become a turnoff (IMHO). I appreciate the realism, and the fact that the real world is indeed full of vile people like Chuck (how some people can defend this character is beyond me), but after awhile, no matter how artfully done the show is, too much can be, well, too much (in much the same way I felt that the final season of Breaking Bad went off the rails as it wound its way towards the conclusion).

As before, I didn't come into this expecting it to be all goodness and light with a happy fairly tale ending, but it would nice if the writers could just flatten out the downward spiral a little bit.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can't say that I agree with you. I think the writers have done an exemplary job in making a prequel series every bit as compelling (with a different emphasis, so far) as the original. That's a difficult thing to pull off.

9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

"Better Call Saul" season 3 will be more loyal to its roots, according to cast member Rhea Seehorn, who plays the role of Kim Wexler in the "Breaking Bad" spinoff.

"There's a lot of leeway with where they could go. I can only presume that it's also on the table for them to do scenes that happen during 'Breaking Bad' years in some fashion," the actress told Deadline.

"Better Call Saul" season 3 is actually bringing in drug kingpin and restaurateur Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito). The second season was somehow being set up for his appearance.

The addition of the "Breaking Bad" character to the fold shows that Jimmy (Bob Odenkirk) is dangerously close to becoming the cunning man he was always destined to be.

One of the highly-anticipated appearances in "Better Call Saul" is that of Walter White (Bryan Cranston). "Better Call Saul" won't have a bringing him because Cranston will be there in a heartbeat.

During his appearance at "The Rich Eisen Show," Cranston said that he owes "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul" creator Vince Gilligan for the iconic role.

Cranston said that he won't even let them finish the pitch or idea in bringing his character to "Better Call Saul" and will say yes in no time.

"I'll do whatever they want because I know how careful they are and proprietary they are with those characters and storylines and it wouldn't be something, 'Oh, isn't that kind of a stunt casting kind of thing.' It would be something kind of unique and obscure and creative, and I'm all in," Cranston said.

At the moment, Cranston hasn't been called to be in "Better Call Saul" yet, but he was given the opportunity to direct an episode. He is still undecided if he will direct the episode.

Taking the job would mean he would know what will happen next in "Better Call Saul," which he said would "kill it for me as a fan."

'Better Call Saul' season 3 spoilers: More 'Breaking Bad,' possible Walter White appearance »

Deesky, Tim S and Vinyl Addict like this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'd love to see a cameo of Walter at the car wash, still taking abuse from Bogdan.

brew ziggins and Vinyl Addict like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not to give away the spoiler but Im not sure I like the possible direction this could go. A buddy of mine is certain this series wont go but for about 2 more seasons. If they go the route Im thinking, then I cant see it going on very much longer that 2 more seasons either.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd rather they stay away from Walter White for a number of reasons. I agree that the arc of this series can't go on for much more than 2 more seasons.

13. Lonson

I don't know, I'm down with what's in the spoiler. I too trust the team to do it right and I also believe they could sustain it for more than two more seasons if they want to. These guys and gals are clever and they have good TV taste. And there are so many veins they could mine.

Tim S and rburly like this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I'm with Cranston. I trust Gilligan and Co. 100% to make the right decisions.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Is it February 2017 yet? :cussing:

artfromtex and Scope J like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I disagree this could only last two more seasons.

I do think that if you bring in Walter White for more than just stunt casting (Jimmy passes Walter in the hallway type stuff) then you start the clock ticking and you start to box yourself in.

Although there's also the possibility that once the clock is ticking, you can flash forward at some point to Saul at Cinnabon and continue the story from there.

stereoptic likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If they bring in Walter White for anything more than a cameo, the Heisenberg will be wagging the McGill.

I suggest having the time period from Walter's first meeting with Saul until Walter's death to be covered in a montage set to the second orchestral buildup of "A Day In The Life". As the last chord rings out, Gene emerges, and the story moves forward.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. It's a clever idea. I don't think they'll do it. Anything with Walter White should be very minute.

But I do agree that Gene emerge in his own show, as the world turns from B&W, like The Wizard of Oz, to color and it picks up from there.

Everything else, even if we see more of Gene next season, as they have intimated, should stay in the B&W realm until the story goes to nothing but Gene's tale. Flashbacks from there on out should be B&W.

rburly and RayS like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

They'd never be able to meet the licensing fee. :)

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

More than that, you've be revving up the ski boat.

I trust Gilligan & co not to screw that up.

22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

From what I heard, there will be no WW in this season.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  23. Lonson

But Gus. . . as much as I'm all for them procrastinating bringing in BB characters. . . Gus I'm looking forward to. Giancarlo Esposito is such a master actor, he made that part REAL.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

He really did. He is great in the new Netflix show, The Get Down, as well.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Lonson and Vinyl Addict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.