Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I thought it was a pretty good episode; I watched season 3 again over the last couple days before this.
    I need to see this one again, I think...
    It will take a few episodes I'm guessing before a really great one, one that doesn't just hint at (or throw questions about) what's to come.

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I guess we won't find out until the opening of the next season at the earliest.

At first I thought it was just someone who used to live in Albuquerque and recognized Saul Goodman from his commercials. But that seems like too strange a cooincidence to be such a fan of their sports team to have that hanging from his rear view mirror. Could have been out there as a msg to Gene/Saul that they are on to him. Orbit could be nothing like the computer problem at the hospital.

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I would bet it ends up being nobody. I think the point there was to illustrate the constant paranoia that Jimmy is living in post-BB, always fearful that someone will recognize him.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good to have the show back. A pretty uneventful episode until close to the end. We had another Mike-does-stuff-for-minutes scene with a pretty great payoff. The look on Kim's face when Jimmy accepts Howard's guilt laden 'confession' was priceless. Perhaps a sign of Jimmy's much delayed descent into Sauldom?

Also, it felt like the usual flash-forward scene at the start was longer then in prior years. Could they be devoting more time to B&W world this season?

Cinematography was at its usual best with some interesting angles and framing. Man, I've missed this show!

5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

That’s what I thought initially too. But then I kept thinking this show can’t go much more than six seasons, and the way they are dribbling out present day Gene has to ramp up at some point. So unless they are going to do more than one black-and-white scene per year, I think they need to start tying the two time periods together. Aw what do I know anyway?!?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I missed the start of the show by 15 minutes last night and couldn't stay up to watch the replay that began at 11:30, so I didn't see it. Does anyone know if they're going to replay the show at a reasonable hour before Ep.2 next week?

7. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I could watch an entire series of Mike reviewing security protocols.

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Seems like Mike’s boredom may have led to him drawing unwanted attention to himself, something he usually excels at avoiding.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Not a great season opener, but happy to be back! :edthumbs:. I believe my "Fear The Walking Dead" also starts next weekend! :edthumbs::edthumbs:

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm sure he has a plan. He seemed to go out of his way to make sure Lydia found out what he was doing. At first I thought it was just because he wanted to feel he was earning his paycheck, but I think there is probably much more to it that we will find out later.

11. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Nah, Mike is a "legit" Madrigal employee, in security, which is exactly the role he took as head of security for Los Pollos Hermanos.

Might as well make it look 100% legit should anyone question.

12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Maybe he thought sitting home and collecting a paycheck for doing nothing was a "half measure."

George Co-Stanza and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It looks like you can watch it online, without logging in: https://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul

All other replays appear to be in the wee hours of the morning: Schedule

14. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Thanks!

mmars982 likes this.
  15. EVOLVIST

That would be Mike's personality, but all of these high-level criminals have a legit front for their business. I'm saying that Mike's new "job" paves the way for what he becomes as an employee of Gus Fring.

There's no undo attention; indeed, the opposite, right? Mike went from one legit job to another. At this point in the timeline Mike has only dabbled in nefarious deeds, doing nothing really that could cause the police, or the DEA, to put an eye on him. So, to the contrary of what @RayS is worried about, Mike has secured himself by being more public. :shrug:

mmars982 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

He could have done his “job” quietly, or less well. He has now drawn internal attention to himself and the woman that hired him. Perhaps someone will question the astronomical salary he is drawing. Not as bad as a new vehicle with “playa” vanity plates, but why not keep it all quiet? I doubt that this behavior is what Gus or Lydia had in mind.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think there has to be a connection. Seems to me that it's Mike figuring out and employing back the gas cap tracker trick that impressed Gus.

18. EVOLVIST

Good points. I just don't think that either way Mike's actions are incongruous to his personality, nor as a front for a criminal. It might seem shoed in, but I imagine Mike's efforts today will bear fruit toward the security of the future, where we find methylamine at Madrigal warehouses, and tight "security" for Gus' border runs.

Lydia might have some objections to Mike doing what he's doing, but I think Gus will see the wisdom in it. Pure speculation, of course..

George Co-Stanza, artfromtex and RayS like this.
  19. EVOLVIST

There doesn't have to be. Somebody else mentioned the connection, and I said I didn't see one. I don't think there needs to be one (or maybe I read the OP wrong).

Coincidently, we see in the last episode that Nacho gets tracked, anyway.

Borgia likes this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I didn't even see that (in your spoiler thing - I don't know how to put those up here), and just now read a really good, insightful Rolling Stone article [I don't know if to post the link, as it has tons of spoilers, for those who hadn't seen it last night]; it comes up when you google Better Call Saul).
    If this really is going on to a fifth season (to my surprise) and maybe even further, it seems that the ultimate fate of Gene will eventually be revealed. (God, that was tense last night)
    I wish it wouldn't take so long...but what can one do?

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

There will be a season five...

Better Call Saul is renewed for season 5

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

MikeInFla, George P and Lonson like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

What made me mad was putting the episode two preview in the first break of that new show. I DVR'd it, and was unable to see it!!

My take as well.

Regarding Gene in Omaha. Gilligan is contemplating resolving Jimmy/Saul/Gene's ultimate fate.

25. Tim007

Tim007 Active Member

This episode shows Jimmy's hard turn to the dark side. He knows that he is the one responsible for the insurance company finding out about Chuck's break-down in front of the bar, but he is still going to let Howard carry a burden of guilt that he doesn't deserve. He's not man enough to confess to Howard and Kim what he did to Chuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.