Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm not sure we're done with that cab driver from the first episode of the latest season.

Stay safe Gene.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Is Mando confirmed as playing The Scorpion in the next Spider-Man film? I don't see his name on the cast list.

Got to say, that's pretty genius casting, would love to see what he'd do if he could cut loose in the role.

enro99 likes this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

right. that's why there's enough tension for me. the show has made me emotionally invested in jimmy/saul and we have whatever's going on past the breaking bad story line to look forward to. i hope he's ok.

Chrome_Head and Jerry Horne like this.
  4. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

What a great finale. First class acting from both Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks, probably the best I've seen from them. The regret and anticipatory dread on Mike's face really sold the last scene with Werner and made me feel like I was standing there as a party to what was about to come. I had the same dry mouth and feeling in my gut as Mike did. Probably helped that I was smoking a jazz cigarette but still.

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, I am looking forward to getting the story on the "present", post-BB world of the show and what's going to happen to Saul. Would be great if they brought back Aaron Paul's character Jesse for that also, one of the few survivors of BB.

Wonder how many seasons BCS has left? Crazy to think that they've cranked through 4 seasons already.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  6. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im way back into Season 1 Episode 4 and 5.

When Jimmy was defending Nacho during the Kettleman debacle Nacho knew that Jimmy was the one who warned them. Nacho made a threat that there would be "consequences" for Jimmy's actions.

Question on the above:

Was that the last time Nacho and Jimmy really made contact? Will this threat come back to haunt Jimmy or am I missing where they were "square" and things are cool between them? Trying to imagine how Jimmy gets involved with Nacho again and the whole drug money thing.

Its funny to watch Kim fall for Jimmy after his hero stunt with the billboard worker. That really tipped the scale for her and the way Jimmy charms her at the salon is a nice memory. They should have both packed up then and opened their own elder law firm.

Kim mentions she thought about doing elder law after her grandmother passed. I wonder in the end if thats where she will end up.

Im always looking for symbolism in the Gilligan world. One thing that seems to reoccur in the foreground are goldfish. A couple of times when its Jimmy about to enter into a new "phase" the goldfish in the salon are focused upon. And then in the current season Jimmy is feeding the goldfish as he puts on a front right after Chuck's death.

Nosing around on the symbolic meaning of goldfish in the eastern culture: Goldfish represent prosperity and fortune. They seem to represent the future for Jimmy. A complete focus upon aquiring as much money at any means during the Saul Goodman years.

I still think this is a great show and hope the next season comes sooner than the previous.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Jonathan Banks should have won a special emmy for Season 1 Episode 6. One of the most amazing episodes on TV ever.

Keeping the thread alive :D

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Watching Season 2 Episode 6..

Not sure if this tidbit/easter egg was noticed:

When Kim and Jimmy are scamming the guy at the hotel bar with the .com scheme the guy write her a check for 10 grand. Its made out to:

Ice Station Zebra Associates

In Breaking Bad when Saul becomes "Badgers" lawyer he mentions "Ice Station Zebra Associates". Which is the name of a holding company used by Saul for tax evasion.

Could this be a clue that Kim does go rogue and is Sauls secret associate in Breaking Bad?

albertop, Jerry Horne and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The more I look at Kim's actions concerning her personality and scheming with Jimmy, the more I believe she is going to continue to follow him deeper and deeper into the underworld. I think she will reveal shes just as devious and scheming as Jimmy. Maybe even more so. Just in more subtle ways. I think our little miss ivey league is going to turn into poison ivey.

The end to Kim in the story? Not sure. But its funny how at several points in the series Kim does waitressy type actions. Jimmy: "This young lady will get you some coffee" Chuck: "Will you make some coffee"

I think Kim will possibly lose everything.

11. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I think you mean Giselle will lose everything.

albertop and mpayan like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im ready for season 5.

13. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

I believe the writers' room has already reopened for season 5..

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm not seeing it like that. Part of Jimmy's appeal to Kim is that he doesn't play by the rules. So there is a constant push-pull where she lets herself bend the rules with him and then feels repulsed and reacts by pulling away. This has been going on in each season and is not at all a linear progression "deeper and deeper into the underworld." The show clearly tells the story of how Jimmy has always been that since childhood, as a people-person and scam artist who is equally comfortable on both sides of the law.

The only character development we have seen is the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck, who checked out. Everyone else has remained unchanged. I fear season 5 will only offer more pushing and pulling where we don't really move forward, and it will survive on borrowed interest from Breaking Bad, which is the lowest form of entertainment for BCS, in my opinion.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Jimmy does the same thing. He does his shuck and jive and then is repulsed by his actions to a degree. The difference in the last scam is that it sure seemed that Kim came up with it. That somewhat deeper for her. Each time its gotten more elaborate. Jimmy is always a few steps ahead at closing the gap between his true nature and guilt. Kim isnt far behind in her own way either. I think the gap and lines of distinction will blur even more. I do not see her ever leaving Jimmy.

After watching the fourth season again, I like it much better second time around.

16. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby Forum Resident

Percy Shelley's "Ozymandias"

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert... near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away
    -
    Horace Smith's "Ozymandias"

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
    Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
    The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
    "I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
    "The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
    "The wonders of my hand."— The City's gone,—
    Naught but the Leg remaining to disclose
    The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder,—and some Hunter may express
    Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
    Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
    He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
    What powerful but unrecorded race
    Once dwelt in that annihilated place
    -
    Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hanging On (1967)

-
    Best Show on TV
    Take your time.
    Where else are we going to go

enro99 and rogertheshrubber like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any whispers about season 5?

I know...way early. Ill be retired by the time season 5 opens.

Any clues as to where this all is going in season 5 though?

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Guess we won't find out until August. I miss when this show started in the winter.

Better Call Saul season 5 release date, cast, spoilers

Big hints about some Breaking Bad tie ins, but nothing specific.

mpayan likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My wife told me she read that the man who plays Tuco does not want to come back. He says his character is too violent.

wavethatflag likes this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Raymond Cruz plays Tuco. Just to expand a little on your post, Cruz has said playing Tuco is really difficult for him, mentally and physically - it really pushes him to be someone he doesn't like and it's emotionally drainging. So much so that at one point in BB he asked the producers to kill off the character.

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think if I was an actor, I might be happy with any high profile roles I would be lucky enough to get.

Bender Rodriguez and Linger63 like this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

But he plays him so well........a character that actually REALLY SCARES me!!!!

artfromtex and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree. He plays a crazy mofo.

As far as Cruz feeling uncomfortable etc, I believe James Gandolfini felt the same way when filming The Sopranos as well.

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i guess a history of playing some sort of military soldier in a bunch of violent action movies was easier for him.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Went to a nice live presentation of most of the castmembers and showrunner at the TV Academy the other night. Here's some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's some highlights...

• Patrick Fabian (the actor who plays attorney Hamlin) said, “I really admire Jonathan Banks as an actor. I hope we get to do a scene together sometime.” Banks responded, “you better hope my character and yours are never in a scene together” and the audience fell down laughing (because we know what that means).

• Banks reminded the audience several times that he hadn’t been nominated for an Emmy yet (which was kind of the point of the presentation). “If we’re so f***ing good, how come we don’t have any Emmys?” <big roar of laughter & applause from the audience>

• Bob Odenkirk said they’ve offered to let him write a script and to look at scripts in advance, but he said “I don’t want that responsibility. I just want to come in every week and be surprised, and just read my lines as written, so I won’t be playing the character like I already know what’s going to happen later.”

• The 4K HDR really revealed the makeup and toupees and stuff (but nobody talked about that).

• No word on how much longer the show will go.

• They admitted the BREAKING BAD movie sequel is about to shoot, but they could not say who was in it (there may be flashbacks with Walter White)

• Giancarlo “Gus Fring” Esposito was extremely elegant and well-dressed (I think he was wearing a $20,000 watch), and said he never, ever changed a single word of his dialogue. He did say, “the only thing I change is what goes on between the words.” I thought that was very interesting. I think he might be the most interesting actor in the bunch.

AndrewS, Kyhl, bloodisthin and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.