"Better Records" website and their business practices as they apply to our hobby*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by violetvinyl, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And we have to remember he does offer a refund. I returned something once and he didn't hassle me in the slightest in regards to taking it back. You can't be "ripped off" unless you allow yourself to be, in a case like this, imo. A thief would not have a return policy. I would bet he gets taken advantage of far more than the other way around. And believe me, I'm not defending him overall! I think he provides a valuable service for a very small segment, and we have to remember we are not his market. I don't know if some of us are jealous, or resent some of the stuff he says, or why we (including me) react strongly, but he is not a thief imo.

Bob Donnelly likes this.
  2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:laugh: You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Tom is a sleazy con man - that is my opinion. I apologize for hurting your feelings.

I would have no reason to make up a story. Bobbit thinks what Tom tried to pull on me was perfectly legitimate and if that is how he feels then he is entitled to that opinion. I just think it's a lowlife move.

On the one hand Bobbit thinks I am making up a story. On the other hand he thinks what Tom did was perfectly fine. These positions seem inconsistent to me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Guys hurry there is a "white hot stamper" of The Eagles self-titled available for a mere $750

Strat-Mangler and patient_ot like this.
  4. Bob Donnelly

Bob Donnelly Senior Member

Simple, I know Tom Port. I do know it did not happen.
    The insult was to Port. I just called the guy out for his BS.

5. Bob Donnelly

No, it did not happen the way you say it did.

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

With some intimacy, it would seem.

BKphoto, Strat-Mangler and Malina like this.
  7. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Since when did buying low and selling high become dishonest?

ibekeen likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's stocks, not records.

To be clear, what Better Records does is not necessarily dishonest but it does seem excessive to take used records that were probably purchased for a few dollars and sell them for hundreds of dollars based upon one person's opinion as to how good they sound. When a mint mono UK Sgt. Pepper LP with 1st press matrices comes up on ebay for several hundred dollars, that makes sense as its rarity and authenticity can be objectively verified. However, using the "Hot Stamper" marketing philosophy, BR could sell you an 80's pressing in VG shape, which you might pick up yourself for about $30, for hundreds on the premise that it's a "Hot Stamper." The only verifying criteria for a "Hot Stamper" is that BR tells you it is one. It's not a matter of being deceptive because this is all explained on their site but it is rather manipulative. And it's a poor investment anyway, because in many cases you're not going to be able to get your money out of that LP if you decide to sell it in the future, unless it happens to have the objectively verifiable advantage of 1st press matrices or other rare attributes.

9. Bob Donnelly

Actually that is any business.

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

...and no amount of wear or scratching can change that 'fact'!

Anton888 and dkmonroe like this.
  11. Bob Donnelly

You might read up on what they do at BR. They do not sell records for the "collectible" value. It is purely about sound quality.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

...and Money.

But, mostly Money.

panasoffkee and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I understand that, but that doesn't affect my opinion of it in any way.

14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

What if it did happen that way and the seller was not Tom Port? Would you think that's OK or would you think it's a lowlife way of doing business?

15. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I think his Mint minus minus (minus, minus, minus...lol) can be deceptive to some but hilarious to others. What does this really mean, poor, fair, good, vg, vg+ at best? Just tell it like it is, with the words "mint" nowhere in the description. What does "mint" have to do with it? Lol.

panasoffkee likes this.
  16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Maybe it's Mint Flavored?

And not that cheap imitation Mint. If you are happy with Brachs Mints, maybe you would rather have a 180g Re-issue.

You can tell a True Hot Stamper by the All Natural Spearmint Flavor that only comes from the un-patented Hot Stamping process.

Hot Stampers have that WHOMP that Altoids can only hint at.

MikaelaArsenault, Malina and dkmonroe like this.
  17. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

how someone could actually defend this garbage is hilarious....hot stamper, hahahaha...I thought the website was made by "The Onion" at first...

panasoffkee and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Too many attacks in this thread. Closed for review.

AppleCorp3, Slick Willie and ibekeen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.