Bias Peak Pro 7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PTgraphics, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I buy Peak Pro 7 in January, and now I find out Bias, the makers of Peak, are out of business as of June. For you Mac users, what are you using to record your LP's, etc. to your Mac's? I have Wave Editor, but hate the user interface. I ask now since Peak will no longer be updated and it has always been flaky with different OSX upgrades, so I thought I would get a head start and lean something new. Thanks.

Pat

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Pat,

I sympathize but don't lose heart. I'm in a holding pattern myself. I have several editing apps and each does something the others don't. For most operations however, Peak is still my "go to" though and I believe we haven't seen the last of it.

Something is going on at BIAS and I imagine they can't talk about it yet but note that they are the distributors and not the copyright holders for the app.

Meanwhile, Peak is working just fine here and I just recommended it to a client who purchased it only a few weeks ago.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, the Bias people said there was some kind of impropriety going on within the company, and decided to shut the doors. (This was a huge topic of discussion several weeks ago on the Gearslutz Forum.)

I think it's a bad idea to buy into any software from a company that's gone under, simply because support and upgrades will be impossible in the future. There's no problem provided you keep all of your operating system and hardware the same, and it never breaks. I've always found Peak to be a flakey program, and I've played around with it for at least 15 years.

I keep going back to Pro Tools, and even though there are aspects of the program that are a pain in the azz, I have no real problems with it. At least now, PT10 is much, much more affordable than the old versions. To me, this is one of the key things that killed Peak: you could buy competing programs for the same or less money. Adobe Audition may make sense for most people, and it's also very well-supported.

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member Thread Starter

I read the info on Gearslutz about what Bias said about closing up shop right now. I have used Peak LE for a very long time, upgraded to Pro this year. I was searching to see if Peak had a spectral view that I did not know about, seems it does not, and I found out they were out of business. Maybe the Mac version of Audition will be OK or the new version of Wave Editor, whenever that shows up.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.