Big amp question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sam, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Yes they were a silly load ,almost a short
    The KSA 250 developed 7HP !
    You could boil a bucket of water with bare ends from the amp
    However because of all the safety circuits it didn't sound very good.

2. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Maybe if you had listened to Pass Labs your fascination would have endured? :agree:

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

So, what big HIFI did you settle on?

4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Manufactured in China??? :confused:

What on Earth happened to Krell? :shake:

5. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I heard the Meridian DSP 6000 playing piano music at a show and was impressed by scale and weight and lack of power station cables
    The DSP 6k system stayed longest in Stereophile RC lists ,six years at least
    It started my love of active speakers even though I explored classic brit valve amps and speakers at the same time, this bought me to Quad 63s, a difficult act to equal
    Quad for detail,Meridian for scale and weight.
    Now I prefer high power 2 way actives with small high excursion drivers.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

No different then a lot of the other high end audio companies. These units are of extremely high build quality and are individually inspected by Krell upon entering the states.

And, as an FYI, all production of Krell has returned to the US. With the 300i and 550i being discontinued, the new forthcoming integrated (Vanguard) will be produced in the US.

Kkfan likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

My dear, late friend and consummate audiophile, Chuck Lamonica, used these back in the late 80's with Duntech Sovereigns, and his system was amazing. We used to spend hours listening to that system- all kinds of stuff. Unbelievably real acoustic bass sounds- tone, decay and absolute control over the woofers. It was one of the best 'big' systems I heard back then. The amp seemed pretty bulletproof, although it was relatively new at the time. Dan used to show up at the hi-fi club meetings in NY driving a Bentley, which impressed the hell out of me. (It wasn't the cost of the car, it was the cost of the service of that car). Enjoy it.

8. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

GREAT news!

Thanks for the heads-up on that! :)

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No D'Agostino. No Krell.

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have you listened to the new Class A amps to hear how good they are?

motorcitydave likes this.
  11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No, no I haven't. I bet they're good, but I can't support Krell without Dan. It's a mental block, I suppose. lol. :D

Kkfan and triple like this.
  12. triple

triple Senior Member

Not shure abot the mental block thing, but Sonus faber speakers do not sound the same now that the company has been absorbed. Audio Note UK is not the same as Kondo either.

13. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Sorry to go off-topic, but who absorbed Sonus Faber? o_O

14. triple

triple Senior Member

Its founder, Franco Serblin sold it to the holding that also owns Audio Research, Wadia and McIntosh. This was several years ago.

The only Serblin's speaker still made is Ktema, made by the company that Serblin founded after he had sold SF. Sadly, he is no more.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    Kkfan likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The older Krell is not pure Class A. It used a sliding bias system. So the operation class is not a big explanation.

I *believe* power supplies have gotten more efficient, however, and that can make a big difference in total heatsink need.

As for the impedance, less ohms means the speaker wants to draw more current. Power amplifiers actually don't supply power, they supply current, and the power is a byproduct. Current is what really costs. So suppose you have a 1x100W @ 8 ohm amp, that would be 3.5 amps of current. If the amp was "perfect" you'd get 1x200W @ 4 ohms, 7.07 amps of current. Then 1x400W @ 2 ohms, 14.1 amps. So an amp of the "same" power (at 8 ohms) rated to (or capable of) lower impedance drive actually has to be a lot beefier.

For the best answer…ask Krell! They should have the best answer of all.

How much did you pay for the KSA if I might be nosy on behalf of us all?

Kkfan likes this.
  16. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Equal trade to a friend. My KAV 250a for his older KSA 100. He doesn't listen to his system much anymore, so he understood why I would want the KSA over my KAV. And boy, what a trade! I can't say enough about the sound upgrade. The KAV was good, but the KSA is in a whole other ballpark!

17. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

What about the fan?
    It grinds and buzzes

18. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Grinds and buzzes??? Not on mine. And my KSA is 30 years old. I DID take off the top cover and actually clean the heat sinks and fans with compressed air and a vacuum prior to using. Maybe on the one you heard, this was not done. One needs to get really close (3 feet) to hear the fans working in a very quiet room. At the listening position, no sound is detectable.

19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I had to take my cases off they buuzzed from the fans so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.