Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Amazing quality on this 1976 clip of Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart on Dick Clark's American Bandstand.

2. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Interesting, the quality is amazing for over 40 years ago. ..but man I love Micky, but he's totally cringe worthy in this clip..
    Imo..

BadJack and Hep Alien like this.
  3. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Andrew said back in 1996 in an online Q & A w/ www.monkees.net fans that MFSL (www.mofi.com )rejected their tapes @ the time. Which
    weren't up to their "sonic standards". But work was continuing in that area, but maybe Rhino feels they can make more or do just as a good job (?).

I know Rhino has licenced their catalog to MFSL for various artists @ different points.

We still haven't seen any audiophile Beatles CDs (legit any ways).

There was this release, which sounded like the 91 box set to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Monkees-20-Greatest-Hits/dp/B00003L27E?tag=mfconvert-20

Same company did a Nez gold disc too.

Hep Alien and alexpop like this.
  4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I found one of these in the bins last week.

5. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

nice score, I think I paid $20-ish back in 1999, but don't regret.

You're talking about the Gold CD? As there was a regular non-gold CD version.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Yes, $4.95 for the Gold CD. The booklet has a bad half moon dent, but everything else is near mint.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

8. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread: forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/monkees-covers-by-other-artists.243212/ among other websites' threads, here is my list of Monkees solo/group originals that have been covered and issued since 1987 (post-reunion) excluding all of the Monkees/Nez tribute albums:

Dolenz, Jones, Nesmith, and Tork originals issued as covers 1987-2017:
    Calico Girlfriend: Circe Link 2013
    Circle Sky: The Kliek 1988, The Modern Art 1990, Houseplants 1993, The Satelliters 2001, The Maggots 2003, The Meat Purveyors 2006, The Ribeye Brothers 2013
    Different Drum: The Flying Emus 1989, Lemonheads, The Pastels both 1990, Pete Burns 1992, Victoria Shaw 1997, P.P. Arnold 1998, The Guts, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes both 2001, Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs 2006, Yo La Tengo 2016
    Dream World: Loveletter 1999
    For Pete’s Sake: Charles Rice Goff III 1995
    The Girl I Knew Somewhere: Robyn Gibson 2017
    Grand Ennui: Gary Owen 2006
    I’ve Never Loved Anyone More: The Four Freshmen 1992
    Listen to the Band: G.W. McLennan 1992, January 2000
    Mary, Mary: Secret Goldfish 1991, Robben Ford 2001
    Nevada Fighter: Gary Owen 2006
    Nine Times Blue: Gary Owen 1994
    Papa Gene's Blues: Rickie Simpkins 1997
    Propinquity: Carla Sciaky 1988
    Randy Scouse Git: Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine 1990, Lid 2002
    Roll with the Flow: Butterscott 2013
    Silver Moon: Gary Owen 1995
    Some of Shelly's Blues: Bill Miller 1987, Billy Mitchell 1993, The Continental Drifters 1994, Smudge 1996, Tony Furtado 2002
    Sunny Girlfriend: Doc Harper 1995
    Sweet Young Thing: Bent Backed Tulips a.k.a. Dramarama 1988, The Shamen 1989, Barleyjuice 2013, Carrington McDuffie 2016
    Two Different Roads: Gary Owen 2006
    While I Cry: Vocoder 2003
    You Just May Be the One: Bongwater 1988, John Flywheel 1995, Only a Mother 1998, Michael Carpenter 2001, Lee Ranaldo and The Dust 2014
    You Told Me: Jeremy 2004

Additions and corrections are welcome, as always.
    P.S. A special hello and thanks to GV1967 as you made multiple contributions to this list...literally :wave::D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    marmalade likes this.
  9. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Also, as I am list-happy right now :help:, here is another one:

every Monkees/Nez tribute album issued since 1986 [note: nine were issued in 1967!]:
    Here No Evil: A Tribute To The Monkees Db Records/Long Play 23 January 13, 1994
    Through The Looking Glass: Indie Pop Plays The Monkees Planting Seeds Records PSR002 January 1, 2000
    Papa Nez: A Loose Salute To The Work Of Michael Nesmith Dren Records April 24, 2001
    Garage Band Tribute To The Monkees Collectables Records November 1, 2011
    Marc With a C: Sings The Monkees! Good Clean Fun March 27, 2012
    Jo Elless: Good Nez Gracious July 4, 2012
    Some Of Nesmith's Blues November 29, 2012
    Loose Salute: Nez-isms [EP] December 2012
    A Lowbudget Barrel Of Monkees Lowbudget Records April 16, 2013
    The Monkeephiles: Tribute May 2013
    The Blue Meanies: Virgo, Aquarius, Capricorn, Cancer, Libra & Dude Ltd. March 2014
    Loose Salute: Pisces, Cancer, Leo & Yates, Ltd. April 1, 2014
    Listen To The Bands - 25 Monkees Covers 7a Records May 19, 2017
    Listen To The Bands - 16 Monkees Covers (bonus album) 7a Records July 14, 2017

Additions and corrections are welcome, as always.
    Some of the people that contributed to these albums are members here, so hello and thanks to all. :wave::righton:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    marmalade and JuanTCB like this.
  10. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Any thoughts re Nez's recent interviews about recording another new album and smidgen of possibility in playing again under right circumstances or frame work.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I still enjoy Good Times and really think Justus could have been so much better if they followed the songwriting formula of Good Times. Pool It needed at least the songwriting formula, but it would have still likely have been studio musicians.

Now I'm content with the performance ratio-somewhere between More of the Monkees and PACJ. I would welcome another album done the same way.

I bring it up because of the talk of another LP.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I listened to much of the interview but missed the statement about his willingness to record another album. Since he was promoting his book, it's in his best interest to be positive, or at least non-negative. To say he'd "consider it" is pretty non-committal if you ask me. I didn't hear the actual Q/A though.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

15. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Commercial for Headquarters Stack O Tracks album. All backing tracks without vocals.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    cwitt1980, Hep Alien and Galley like this.
  16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

18. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

19. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Just watching a bit of telly when an advert came on for a new film called "Lady Bird". And what music do you think I heard on this trailer? "As We Go Along" by the Monkees!! Here's a longer trailer that I just found... "AWGA" starts at 1:03.

DaveJ, Galley, JuanTCB and 6 others like this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I sat in on a friend's radio show the other night to discuss the band. If you're so inclined, enjoy!

Link

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Hey, keep their personal lives out of this...:angel:

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

23. mrbobdobalina

Has anyone heard THIS? Nesmith posted it on his FB page the other day...

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The horns rock, but I'm not crazy about the background singers and I don't think his voice is suited for the song. I'll stick with Nez, I think.

25. mrbobdobalina

I think you missed the point of my post. Yeah, we're all obviously gonna stick with Nez' version. The point is this is one of the most surreal things I have ever heard! It's Jim Freakin' Gomer Pyle Nabors doing "Listen to the Band" and changing the lyrics around while the backing band quotes from "Sgt Pepper"!! Yow!!