Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh! Okay, point taken! Surreal it is! :)

marmalade and mrbobdobalina like this.
  2. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

I actually like this version with Jim Neighbors maybe because I never heard this..
    Can anybody post the link for "Listen to the Band" instrumental version Andrew used to play during the 2013 tour... As I remember it was "flute" driven

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

4. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

JuanTCB likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Mash ups in the good old days. I'm sure there are many odd blendings from the countless tv variety hours and tv specials besides record albums. Everyone was trying to be hip.

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Have any of the members recorded any Christmas or wintry stuff that wasn't included on the Monkees Christmas album bootleg?

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

8. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

The Monkees Christmas Bootleg album typically has the following tracks:
    1. Riu Chiu (1967 Studio Version)
    2. Deck The Halls (1967 Tv Version)
    3. Greensleeves (1967 Tv Version)
    4. Riu Chiu (1967 Tv Version)
    5. Christmas Is My Time Of Year
    6. White Christmas
    7. 1986 MTV Christmas Medley
    8. O Little Town of Bethlehem
    9. My Favorite Things
    10. I Remember Christmas (Live)
    11. Winter Wonderland
    12. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
    13. Silver Bells
    14. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    15. Hark the Herald Angels Sing
    16. White Christmas
    17. Mele Kalikimaka
    18. This Day in Bethlehem
    19. Silent Night
    20. Rockin Around The Christmas Tree
    21. When I Look Back At Christmas

Songs that I have added
    1. I Remember Christmas – Peter Tork, From A Beachwood Christmas
    2. Angels We Have Heard On High – Peter Tork, From A Beachwood Christmas
    3. PT’s Noel – Peter Tork, From A Beachwood Christmas
    4. When I Look Back At Christmas (First Version Just For The Record Vol 3.)
    5. It’s Christmas – Davy Jones

Hep Alien, Turk Thrust and D-rock like this.
  9. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Thanks very much for your reply.

The Peter songs add a little decorum after some of Davy's rather cringeworthy uptempo songs. :)

jfmlaugh likes this.
  10. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

If someone had been on the ball, "Riu Chiu" or "Christmas is My time of Year" could have been a HUGE hit for the monkees in December 1986.

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would have released "Christmas Is..." as an A-Side with "Rio Chiu" as the B-Side and made it green vinyl with a red label, just for fun. :)

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  12. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed, but like KISS in the late 70s or Oasis in the mid 90s , they had to ruin it for themselves :(

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

From Nez's FB page:

"
    By far the most exciting news of the day for me is that Ben Gibbard is going to join me and the First National Band Redux for the Chapel show on the 28th of January in San Francisco.

Ben and I and his wife made friends over dinner at a little place in Carmel a few months ago and vowed to try to find something to confer on, or at least work together on, and as fortune has it we have decided on the First National Band show at the Chapel --- I have only seen pictures of the place but it looks small, cool and weird.

Ben wants to sing five or six numbers with us and I want him to sing a whole set -- we will see how it goes. Ben, as you may know, is the author of the Monkees recent hit Me and Magdalena that Micky and I sang on Good Times. I think Ben may have done a guest appearance on one of Mick’s recent shows.

But most famously he is the leader of Death Cab for Cutie. I knew I liked Ben after I did the research on the name of the band and listened to the album and had my feet swept off listening to “I will follow you into the dark” --

But Ben’s most recent DCFC album-- as far as I know-- was Kentsugi and for me every cut was endearing and I think their best -- mellow and pointed and real. I played it over and over on every drive I took.

Anyway -- Ben’s gonna come play with me and the First National Band -- and I am truly stoked now. The new First National Band redux has shaped into something worth all the years. What a night it will be. Hope you can make it.

Here is a link for tickets for that show: Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Tickets - The Chapel - San Francisco, CA, January 28, 2018 | Ticketfly "

MN

14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I thought I had read that Chip Douglas tried to make a deal with Arista to release it, but it didn't work out, or something like that. If that's the case, I wonder if that was where the idea of doing a 1980s style remix came from.

905 and Hep Alien like this.
  15. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Not sure I'd want to see a FNB without Red Rhodes

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

As much as I loved Red's work I did not miss him when I saw Mike on the Movies Of The Mind tour. The best small venue concert I was at and the first time to see Mike live.

17. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

FYI, those of you who subscribe to Directv may not have noticed a new channel (323), FETV (Family Entertainment TV). It's another religious channel, but it does show some interesting old programs such as Perry Mason, Peter Gunn, etc. This morning they aired four back to back episodes of the Monkees!

18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

If one would compile an iTunes playlist with creating almost a sessionography using the Super Deluxe Editions of The Monkees, MOTM, Headquarters Sessions, PAC&J (2006-ish 2CD DeluxeEdition), BBM Super Deluxe and on up to Present Super Deluxe .... What tracks would need to be added from the 90's reissues, 2004-2006 reissues,box sets and ML 1 thru 3 and on?

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Um, most of them. :)

D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

21. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

$3.99 shipping for a $3.99 book? I was just about to order, but I'm gonna pass. Looks like an interesting collectible though.

22. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Rhino exclusive was $9.99 shipped.

23. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

It's still available......for $9.99. I really prefer the Rhino exclusive cover
    [​IMG]

But decided to support my local comic book store and bought cover B for $3.99.
    [​IMG]

24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

FYI: If you buy all three variants from the Archies site, shipping is still just $3.99.

spsimmons and MerseyBeatle like this.
  25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

TV mono mixes:
    What TV mono mixes remain to be released on CD or have they all come out?

Thx.

Hep Alien likes this.