Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Holy crap, that was amazing! Hubert does “Feelin’ Alright” and “Let it Be” on that album too? Now I gotta track a copy of this down.

Longer than the Monkees version by over a minute. I always hoped there would be a longer studio version of LTTB found — minus the fake applause — uncovered someday.

Yes, I know about the 33 1/3 version (Two versions, actually, with the outtake on the blu-ray box). I love that, but I always felt the studio version/official releases to be too short. And while the fake applause doesn’t mar the song for me, necessarily, I’d prefer the song without it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    joy stinson and Hep Alien like this.
  2. Guy Smiley

That’s been airing on that channel since right before Xmas. I was watching stuff on the DVR a few weeks ago and there were a bunch of Monkees episodes unexpectedly there. I was recording the show while IFC had it, and kept it set to pick up anyone who might be showing it.

Now that I have the blu-ray set (Finally broke down and got it during Rhino’s Black Friday sale) I don’t need to record the show anymore. :)

Keith V and Hep Alien like this.
  3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Definitely worth it - it's pretty great. There are two versions - the original '69 with a red & black photo of Hubert, and then a '70s reissue with a blue cover - they both sound great and shouldn't set you back more than ten bucks.

Hep Alien and Guy Smiley like this.
  4. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Glad I checked out this thread again - Hubert Laws' take on 'Listen to the Band' is stellar!

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

If you mean something unique to the show that differs from the mono album versions, I think at least "Love Is Only Sleeping," "She Hangs Out" and "Daydream Believer" would meet that criteria. Just off the top of my head. "Valleri" (second version) too, with the cold ending.

6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Plus covers of two pretty obscure Pink Floyd songs from More--"Cymbaline" and "Crying Song". Very groovy!

Hep Alien and MarkTheShark like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  11. Guy Smiley

I didn’t even notice that! Yeah, I loves me some early Floyd. This is definitely going to be one of the next CDs I buy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  12. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but it seems there is a decent chance of the Micky sings Nesmith songs album happening. Iain Lee has said that Rhino have apparently "pinched" the idea though.

Sounds like there's some great stuff to come from 7A though.

13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Also according to Iain Lee 7a records will be releasing a First National Band Live album from Nez's current tour which BTW has an amazing setlist featuring the majority of the first 3 National Band albums and his new band reportedly sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear them especially if they stick to the original tempo and arrangements and Nez actually sings the lyrics and doesn't just "talk" them like he has so much since the 80's.

14. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

16. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

There's an interview with Michael Nesmith in the latest issue of Mojo which I don't usually buy but I had to pick up this copy. My eye caught the words "Too much Monkee business" on the cover.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Synopsis please

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I haven't read it yet, but it all encompassing covering his career from The Monkees up to his recent concerts (and also recommends his 'best' solo albums).

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I’ve read it. It was better than I expected but nowhere near what It could have been. As soon as I saw “too much Monkee business” on the cover I feared the worst. I mean, could they have been a little more creative.... “Michael Nesmith - Beyond the Blue Horizon” or “Out on the Photon Wing” but Monkee Business?!

His three best albums, according to the article, and all given **** are:
    Magnetic South
    Tantamount
    And The Hits

Personally, at the least, I’d give Magnetic South, And The Hits & Ranch Stash 5stars each. And the original Prison would get six. At least.

There’s no real depth to the piece - no mention of Countryside Records, the wonderful but obscure stuff he recorded while in the Monkees is absent and I would have love to asked him why he has never recorded I’ve Never Loved Anyone More.

I don’t want to be too negative though. Michael seems very relaxed and is quite open to all he is asked and the answers don’t require a dictionary being on hand. I’ll give the piece 4 stars!

Oh, by the way, the magazine is worth getting for the Nick Drake Covered CD that comes with it; it’s superb. Shame they didn’t do a Papa Nes one though.

20. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

MOJO 292 / March 2018: Nick Drake

Hep Alien and sbeck201 like this.
  23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Glen Campbell and The Monkees, 1969 after Peter left.

[​IMG]

24. paste

paste Forum Resident

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Hey Everybody!

I want to say thanks for all the love and prayers you’ve all shown to me and Linda during this extremely difficult health issue. We know that it was your prayers that got us through this and we can’t thank you more than enough.

You can help us a little if you can. If you haven’t brought my Monkees book yet, you can still order copies on Amazon, either hard copies or kindles. Sadly, the hard copies on Amazon are not autographed. If we meet sometime and you have your copies of my book I’ll be more than happy to sign it for you. We’ll try and have hand signed copies up on Amazon as we figure it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1496...fred+velez&dpPl=1&dpID=51aSUFIcz6L&ref=plSrch

Thanks again Monkees family for all the love you shown to me and Linda. We Love You All.

God Bless!

Sincerely,

Fred Velez