Big Brother 16 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

These women need to get down and dirty, and stop sliding by. That's why they were put up in the first place. They may win some competitions, but that's about it. They don't even know enough to close ranks and see that the enemy is the male alliance. They vote with the house majority instead of playing their own game.

I find it interesting that almost all of the evictions have been a unanimous vote? And, look who's picking the targets?

2. Grant

Well, the guys aren't exactly the brightest players, either. If it were me, I would have put Caleb up and he could have been outta there. Despite it all, he's too powerful a player. He's a threat to their winning the prize, but all they can think about is what's good for the alliance. Devin had it right, but he went about things the wrong way. And, i'll bet money the evicted are secluded in case the producers decide to let one back in.

3. Grant

:shrug: Even though I don't think you're right, she's Hayden's problem now.

4. Grant

I would have figured that out a long time ago, and that he plays all sides. He's going to be in the final four. I'd put money on it.

zebop and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Grant, I just don't see the "smart" you do in Nicole, she seems as high maintenance for little value as Victoria to me, and I don't go gaga over her looks. And that "cuteness" would drive me to the other end of the house, just not my thing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. Grant

Victoria: spoiled rich kid.

You may have missed the episode, and it was also on the live feed, no one wanted to even sleep in the same bed with her. Hardly no one in the house likes her, either. Even they said she was too high-maintenance.

7. Lonson

So what Grant. I've dealt with spoiled kids all my life. I've acquired the skillset. I prefer that to vapid people who have little going on except their feigned "cuteness." We're all different. I'm not sure there is anyone in that house I would really like to share a bed with, but it's a game and very few people there are acting naturally.

Sure think it's regrettable and even embarassing that four women are on the block (at least as far as official broadcast goes, I know BOB has probably happened, not reading the spoilers). Typical of this game but each season I hope things would be different. But they aren't fudamentally different.

8. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Nicole has been interesting to me in her lack of drama. She's been game for the dumb costumes she's had to wear, and while she's been emotional, it hasn't been like a meltdown. She may have some wits about her, but she hasn't lived outside of her own world (home and family) much. Smart is not one of the first words I would pick for her, though.

9. Grant

I think you may be taking this a bit too personally. Anyway, I would say Victoria is vapid. I like my women to be fun and cute, but low-key. If you want to spend all your energy (and money) trying to please a prima-donna, go ahead! :D

Here's the thing, Lonson: what do men want most in a woman besides a hot sex partner and a good mother? A friend, a buddy, right? Well, I don't see Victoria being a buddy, and someone you can talk to any time about anything. She sounds like someone you'd have to walk on egg-shells with. Nicole seems easy-going enough to be what guys want.

On this we can agree. Same thing every year, and it won't change until the casting people and the producer order something different.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

When this show started, the cast were regular people. Now the producers just pick the hottest people they can get. I won't watch it anymore.

11. Grant

Maybe it's me who sees it, but I see a lot of brains in there. She just doesn't get down and dirty like the rest of them. Remember, she's a nurse. Anyone who has gone to school for it, or practices it, knows it isn't easy. And, she was a jock. Some seemingly boring people have a lot of interestings about them that they just don't show to the world like, maybe Frankie, Paola, or even Joey. She did come from a small town, and her mother thinks small (wants Nicole to marry a farmer), but that's how small-town, country people are. I've grown up around them all my life.

And, Nicole is still the prettiest woman in that house, even though Hayden scarred her for life. :)

12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

POV
    Hayden won POV

13. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I have been behind on episodes all season but finally got caught up last night. Random thoughts-

Jacosta seems to be beyond fake, Frankie is playing an excellent game as is Donny. Victoria is clueless, a classic floater, and will never make it to jury. I've worked with guys like Caleb, just the sight of him on-screen creeps me out. I honestly expected Derrick to play a much "cleaner" game than he's chosen to (manipulating others, and such). I called the first three house guests to go within the first week, and in order, as well. Britney deserves to still be in there after that challenge she met. My best guess for final four? Derrick, Frankie, Cody and Zach, but I can see Donny running the table if he can discover and damage the Detonator alliance, maybe picking off at least one or two of them.

14. Lonson

I'm not taking this personally really, just that vapid cuteness that Nicole gives out is one of my very pet peeves with women, I don't want to be her friend or buddy, it's just such a phony, manipulative way of being. At least the prima donna type is more upfront with their behavior and that makes it easier to engage and understand and perhaps get something useful from the encoutner.

And I wouldn't want either of these two women to be a partner, but spending time with women as friends or colleagues is important and fascinating to me, I in general prefer the behavior and insight of women and spending time with women who I am not attracted to (and I'm not really attracted to either of these) is very instructive to me of how to behave around and towards women I AM attracted to. I just realized recently that I've been able to establish a relationship with ever woman I've really wanted to in my life (often after a number of years of just friendship) and I've done this by learning about all women as much as I can. And it's been fun because I like women, and would rather spend time with them than most men. So I could learn from Nicole, but that empty "cuteness" would really make me not want to spend time with her. That's the personal thing, I really dislike that type of personality in women more than the "prima donna" types. Easy going is nice, but there has to be something there, which eludes my observation. IF I thought she was devestatingly attractive that would temper my opinion but I don't. I know other's mileage varies and that's great, there's someone for everyone in the attraction game, and that's really a wonderful thing.

zebop likes this.
  15. Lonson

Anyway, it's just a show, but it is on enough each week in different ways that it gives us things to talk about and we feel engaged with these people. Which except for Donny really leaves me with a bit of a feeling of . . . why am I doing so?

16. rburly

My profession is psychology. When I was an undergrad taking an upper level psych class, a professor asked for those of us who planned to go into clinical psychology to raise our hands. I was in the front row and I raised my hand. There were 2-3 others in a class of maybe 15 people, but he looked at me and said "So you're a voyeur?!" I, of course, was immediately embarrassed, but wanted to answer his question. I think I came up with something like "I'm interested in people, and I want to help people, so I want to listen to people and help them through there problems." He laughed because I don't think his intent was to get an answer. He was an older researcher who I eventually thought was trying to get in a shot at people who might make more money than him or whatever his ulterior motive was.

Anyway, I find people fascinating. Watching how they behave in a group (I love social psychology as well - almost got my doctorate in social psych) and how they interact with others or in response to others in social situations. I've found this show amazing to watch, for the most part, and have had the live feed every year available except for last year. We see groups of people establish relationships for various reasons and we see how someone gets from the beginning to the end. For some reason, for many years at the beginning, I lost all interest in the remaining 3-4 people and stopped watching except the show near the end. As I've stated above in a post, it's my summer guilty pleasure on TV, and I always look forward to the next season and when it starts. It is "just a show", but watching the live feeds for me can be the best reality TV I watch all year. It was better when it was less edited on the live feeds. The producers were heard to be much more "out in the open" back then. I still enjoy watching the live feeds though.

minerwerks and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

It really is amazing how two guys can see two women in totally different ways, and, it probably has a lot to do with our respective backgrounds and personalities. But, that's why some people get together and some people don't. It's the way we humans roll. I would have nothing to do with a person like Victoria.

The setter way is to just be yourself. I think all women respect that. I used to worry about that learning crap only to realize that none of what you learn matters because women are individuals, not machines to be learned. The minute you learn about one woman, whatever you learn goes out the window with the next woman you meet.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  18. Grant

The people still in there that I cannot stand are:

Caleb: because I know guys like him. It's not a pretty sight.
    Frankie: there is nothing "real" or "honest" about him. It's all a show.
    Jocosta: we can't talk about religious people on this forum, or i'd tell you.
    Zach: Rotten personality and rich kid. I would have kicked his ass right out of the house the first week!
    Victoria: I can't stand airhead princesses who don't have a clue.
    Brittany: Uses her kids as sympathy-bait. Feel sorry for me! I have children!
    Derrick: He's a cop with his phony ethics.
    Hayden: The guy's got issues. I'm not quite sure what they are yet, but i'll figure it out.

So: that leaves Christine, Nicole, Donny, and Cody.

So, Rick, what does our people preferences say about us on this thread? You're the shrink. You tell us! :D

rburly likes this.
  19. rburly

Thus the phrase: individual differences!

Grant likes this.
  20. rburly

You nailed it Grant, and I'm sure Lonson agrees, it's individual differences. Vive la difference! as the French say. People are attracted to other people for a variety of reasons, and even reasons they can't explain. At least you guys know why you like or dislike the other. I remember my dad and I liked certain women but we disagreed about other women. I found that interesting. So, individual differences account for our likes and dislikes. Just think about music! Same thing.

What I always found interesting were people like "chubby chasers", etc. An observation I made a very long time ago is that what people don't like about themselves, usually physically, turns the heck on with some guy or guys. Women who don't like whatever part of their body, like their mouth or their ... you name it. Somebody is extremely turned on by that.

Grant likes this.
  21. rburly

From last night:

Frankie plans to put Amber up as the replacement nominee in the POV ceremony. Hayden will take Victoria off the block. To accomplish the Team America goal this week, they're feeding Caleb with a ton of things that Amber has said and done (some true some not) to have an argument between Caleb and Amber. Let the fireworks begin if they pull that one off!

22. Grant

One more: as much as I like and respect Donny as a person and game player, his Gomer Pyle vibe would get on my nerves!

23. Grant

You avoided that answer pretty well!:D You refuse to be put on the spot.

You aren't being very clear on exactly what you mean.:confused: So, are you saying that if a woman doesn't like the way her butt looks, there are guys who are turned in by it?

I admit to being a bit of a "chubby chaser", but not too much chubby!:D I did read a British study a year or two ago that found men who don't have a lot of money tend to find heavier women attractive, and men with money prefer slender women. I have found this to be very true, too.

24. rburly

That's part of my job! But think about it Grant, both of you are right. You both like different people and both dislike certain people, but only because you guys are different. It's that old "This world would be a boring place if everyone was the same." And it doesn't necessarily say anything specifically about either one of you that's good or bad. You two are different with respect to what you appreciate in a woman.

My observation was a personal one, i.e. not based on research. But I've found that women who would come into my practice who didn't like their nose or their... again anything, there are guys out there who LOVE what they don't like about themselves. The thing I've seen with "chubby chasers", not 100%, but the guys are usually very thin and the women are very heavy. I'd have to go with the "opposites attract" theory on that one.

Grant likes this.
  25. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

So basically, you just don't like people, Grant? ;)

Like I noted before, I haven't watched Big Brother this extensively in previous years, but I can say that when I did, I had immediate reactions that I did not like some of the people. Watching this current batch, I find them to be an overall natural and likable group. This might just be watching from the beginning and getting some idea of the individuals before the sparks start flying. But I also feel there's more of the real personalities coming out. Grant, your list strikes me as the kind of decisions I'd make about people if I met them briefly at a party or some social event where I'd never see them again, but I've warmed up to a lot of them just by watching the show and filtering in a few nights of "After Dark." I certainly don't have as much of a problem with Derrick. I might have more issues with Cody, he seems to be holding back. People like Hayden and Jocasta, I probably would avoid because in general we might not have a lot in common. Jocasta doesn't seem to be overplaying the religion, though. Overall, I think it's a very faith-based group, based on what we've seen with Caleb, Amber, Donny and Christine at least (the latter two I noted having a long discussion of church on "After Dark" last week).

I thought Zach was going to be the big troublemaker based on his intro video on the second episode, but I don't think he's had that opportunity as much as he imagined he would. Like some of the others, he appears to have run into that wall of how your emotions cloud decision making that you expected to do from a completely rational standpoint. Now, he does have his obnoxious moments, but I've seen much worse. He mostly seems to be playing himself up in the diary room, but the efforts to put any plans into action come off as overzealous. He doesn't have the charm needed to get people to go along with him.

I took note of Rick's comments about Caleb, but I haven't had a chance to see as much unfiltered video of him. From the last couple nights of "After Dark," I did get irritated by him just because he wouldn't stop messing around with whatever he happened to be holding. First, it was clicking the latch on his bracelet and then it was a Slinky that he kept playing with. I so wanted to hear someone over the PA saying, "Caleb, please move your hands away from your microphone."

Regardless, there are some moments so far this season that have put people on the spot which ended up letting their personalities shine. The whole episode of Jocasta having dehydration and Donnie giving her the power of veto was great to watch, because it did not feel manipulated. Seeing Derrick give up the HOH competition to Frankie following the news that his grandfather had passed also seemed very natural and not at all a game move (I heard him say the other night on "After Dark" that he didn't even know he would be going up against Frankie - Zach obviously wasn't sure which set of two to send up).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Grant, rburly and Lonson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.