Big Brother 16 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Looking back, this was definitely not one of the more exciting seasons...

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

And then some. Looking forward to getting this thing overwith, and hope next season holds my interest longer.

I've avoided the last two POV spoilers, so I don't know what's current, but I can't stand the thought that Victoria has a great shot at taking home 50K. The "deserving" final two are clearly Derrick and Cody

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

Think about it, Victoria has a great shot at $500k!

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Well, that ended about as perfectly as I could have wanted. Totally satisfied with winner, runner-up, and America's favorite. See y'all next season!

rburly and minerwerks like this.
  5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

The finale was on tonight? Yeesh...shows how involved I am with this season! I DVR it...I might get around to watching it.

6. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I didn't know that the House Guests had been kept from knowing what Derrick did for a living. If he wanted to lie that would have been fine, but for the Producers to pay for him to lie is manipulation. Again, HG manipulates - it's all in the game. Producers manipulate - bad reality television.

Of course all of you watched carefully, and already knew Derrick was not out in the house.

No wonder Derrick was in on so many "I wonder what Donny really does" discussions.

7. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

The production manipulation is really disappointing. It would factor largely in my decision to just quit watching.

8. rburly

Yeah, I had no idea how that final HOH was gonna go, but Derrick sgould have won and he did. Btw, he didn't get paid for keeping his profession a secret. I'm not sure why they made such a big deal about it. Frankie only talked about his sister as a last ditch effort to keep himself in the game, and it worked... for a while.

To not be put up for eviction 50 times is pretty darn under the radar. And to have Cody be the one who sent Victoria out was good for Derrick, but not essential.

Was it just me or did Donny appear to be somewhat depressed while in the jury and last night, until he won $25k? I'm glad he won and now he got his $5k he was so upset about for not getting the TA task that people voted NO for because his idea wasn't picked.

And not a word from the first 5 (?) sent home. I guess they wanted no input because they wanted a big build up to the winner, which was a foregone conclusion, in my mind anyway, at the end. I wish that had had more time at the end to talk to people as Probst does at the end of Survivor.

jriems likes this.
  9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Huh? What's this "Producers to pay for him to lie is manipulation" stuff? I thought he simply chose not to reveal his occupation - a great call by him, btw.

Part 3 of the HOH was excellent this go-round. To have it tied, and for the tie-breaker to be sooooooooo close was really pretty exciting - and I don't use that word a lot when it comes to BB.

Having Cody win and take Derrick was really a big plus for Derrick when it came to Victoria's vote. However, in the end - like you said - her vote wasn't the difference-maker. He took it easily 7-2 (6-3 without Victoria's vote).

I'm really glad Donny took the 25K. He did seem very subdued but that might be due to the live show and audience. One thing I thought was very sweet was the lonnnnng hug Amber was giving Donny - you can tell she really cares for the guy.

10. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

We will never know but if Derrick was HOH, would he have taken Cody?

jriems likes this.
  11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I agree that this was a really boring season, what made this season unlike other early seasons was that it seemed like this season all the contestants knew they were being watched and there life was on "show" you could tell just by watching the show that all they did was talk about being on the show, that they didn't play the show like earlier seasons. It was almost like they were play acting.

No matter how much Julie tried to hype up the ending (especially with that info commercial inside Survivor) it just didn't work for me, it seemed forced hype with no real cause to watch. Some take aways...Cody made the worse mistake by taking Derrick, he wasn't playing the game the way it should have been played instead he was playing to be friends with Derrick. When they called him out as being a puppet and Derrick the puppet master you could tell by watching him that a light bulb went off in his eyes and body actions, like why did I take Derrick. He even got defensive against the jury, that was funny. I look at it this way, his chances of winning the game was better with Victoria, he had more of a case against her with some of his moves he did in the game but his moves were nothing compared to how Derrick played the game. Even if Cody lost to Victoria he would still be 2nd so his odds were greater to win without Derrick. Now that would have been a show watching Derrick get all that way to be sent home by Cody, a better speach to the houseguests Cody could have had in saying the puppet takes out the puppet master when the time was right...now who is the puppet master now?

Obviously Derrick deserved to win but Cody had the perfect opportunity to end the game in his favor....
    Oh and the game ending was not so great that they had to silence the non jury members from talking, that was just weird and the way Julie presented the ending with Derrick and his profession just felt like Derrick and the show Big Brother were in bed together. It was like you knew who the winner was before she read the keys. Weird show this season.

jriems likes this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Excellent question. I've been pondering that for the last few days. I think it boils down to what his perception would be with the jury if he axed Cody after they already knew about his 2-man alliance with Cody. Would that be perceived as a "stab in the back" and cause them to see Derrick differently? If he did take Victoria, would he really be in jeopardy at all? Could Victoria get 5 votes out of the jury? Would Cody have voted for Victoria over Derrick? Seems unlikely.

In the end, it just really fell Derrick's way. He and Cody made a good team, and they really deserve the W over anyone else in the house, IMHO.

13. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

It did fall Derrick's way but he did a lot of work to make sure that happened. If, through some freak accident, Victoria had become HOH, she would have taken Derrick too. Once it was the three of them, there wasn't really any way for him not to get final two.

14. rburly

I watched the live feeds several times over the weekend and up until last night - cut off!, but they both were going to take the other no matter who won the final HOH. They talked about it pretty extensively and put a lot of thought into it. There was no way Derrick would have taken Victoria. She was always there for his convenience.

15. rburly

It was pretty exciting. I thought Derrick was really going to take it. BTW, I would have only gotten maybe 1 or 2 at most of those questions right. As I sat there giving my answer, I was almost always wrong!

If you watched the live feeds you got more of a sense of this, but Donny was truly a nice guy to everyone while he was in the house. It looked hokey and that he wasn't the way he appeared, maybe, on TV, but watching the live feeds and seeing uncomfortable situations suddenly become comfortable because Donny would change the subjet to something light or have a joke that would break people up was fun to see. EVERYONE on the live feeds, while Donny was on, really wanted him to be AFP. I'm really glad for him. That's a good chunk of money for him.

applebonkerz likes this.
  16. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I've intentionality avoided this thread due to any spoilers but I do think it was a pretty good season. I just look at it as entertainment and tend to overlook any manipulation by the producers.​

17. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Was there any interaction between her and Caleb?

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I didn't see any, but to be honest, I wasn't really watching everyone. Amber and Donny's hug just stood out because it was so long and appeared heart-felt.

19. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

all in all IMO it was a good show this season

20. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

So Cody decides to throw away 500G's and go to the final with Derrick.
    What a very loyal idiot.
    He would have won hands down if he kept Victoria.
    I wasn't that thrilled with the season.
    I hated the two HOH thing.
    The America's Team thing was bad. Should be repercussions for not following through on the challenges.
    The challenges were lame.
    Like Frankie's idea to put on a show. What's he think he's in a Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland movie.
    My wife and I have been fans since Season One and can't wait for next year.
    The Canadian BB starts next February.
    It was really good last year with lots of twists and the viewers really had a lot of influence on the house.
    If you guys and girls in the U'S. can pick up the feed, you should check it out.
    Glen

21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'm very happy for Donny as well, and that he had such an overwhelming victory over everyone else. I'm almost equally happy that Frankie wasn't even in the top 3 vote getters for favorite--I bet it would have been pretty funny hearing him rant about that on his way home after the show. :laugh:

22. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Okay, maybe I wasn't listening close enough, but when Julie was rattling off all that Derrick had won in extras, was the point she had Derrick reveal his secret. In the set up I thought she said that the producers had asked to keep it quiet and that he won an extra $5k, or actually I'm remembering $15k, for making it to the end.

I could be wrong, and I have no way to playback. I have no problem with Derrick fooling the others all on his own.

Since the captions under Derrick in the opening montage of the 14 HGs always said, Undercover cop (probably Detective), I figured the other players knew. The jury's collective shock said different.

23. rburly

He won $15k for the Team America challenges of $5k each. He and Donny and Frankie won that amount of money. I couldn't understand why that was a huge part of the build up to his $500k, but Julie said that he was able to keep his profession a secret. Btw, he is a Detective Sergeant.

24. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

You weren't listening close enough. Derrick got an extra $50K for being one of America's Team players and winning. Julie announced that a few weeks ago, after Donny was evicted I believe - both Frankie and Derrick knew that they would win an addition $50K. I think the motivation behind that was to try to get Derrick working with Frankie to increase the chance of one of them picking up the bonus money. When I heard that it seemed to me to be another manipulation to try to keep Frankie around, but it didn't work, Derrick had his eyes on the prize and quickly sorted out that he had just as much chance to win the game with Frankie gone sooner rather than later.

I never heard any evidence that the production team told Derrick to lie about his occupation - that was something he had decided to do before he came into the house and had good reasons for doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.