Big brother EL84 amp arrived!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WHitese, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Big brother to Grundig Nf10, the Nf20 arrived and sounding great with the mishmash tubes it came with...

[​IMG]

Paully and Fitero like this.
  2. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Various and sundry tube boys will often say that transformers are a massive part of whether an amp sounds good, as well as the circuit design of course, and then general quality of parts. And those look like some serious transformers. I hope they sound great!

WHitese likes this.
  3. WHitese

LOL. someone mentioned to me that rusty transformers = good transformers...lol

4. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

That's because rusty transformers = old transformers = good transformers. They sure knew how to wind them back then. I'm not knocking new ones (I am rather fond of Magnequest) but big old solid massive well wound broken-in transformers are gonna sound good.

WHitese likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Hotlinking to images on AudioKarma doesn't work. I can't see the image here. But I found your thread over at AudioKarma and was able to see the attached pictures (I'm registered over there).

6. WHitese

I don't know why in some forums, as thread starters, we can't upload pictures...

7. Ham Sandwich

The extra bandwidth costs for a popular forum like this to host images gets to be expensive. For a small forum with little traffic the bandwidth to serve image files is not a deal breaker. But for a forum as popular as this one the bandwidth costs can be the difference between being able to stay online and not.

SandAndGlass and WHitese like this.
  8. WHitese

That's understandable....!

9. WHitese

I agree wholeheartedly with that...i just found the parallel amusing..:)

Paully likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

If they had potted the transformers you wouldn't be able to see the rust (would a potted transformer rust?). Then how would you know if the transformer is old or good or not? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.