Big Star MFSL SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I don't know about any of you who, like me, are waiting for the format war to settle before purchasing new gear, but.......Big Star on SACD done by Mobile Fidelity makes me want to drop $2K on an audiophile SACD player right now!

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Remember that the Big Star MFSL SACD - will definitely be a hybrid. So even without an SACD player you will be able to enjoy this disc listening to what one would hope would be a better CD redbook layer than what is currently on the market.

But by all means, join people like me who bought an SACD player, you won't be disappointed. :D

Actually have you looked into some of the "universal" players on the market. For someone like you that is torn - it would seem like a win-win situation.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Anyone seen a target release date for this one yet?

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Exactly my question!

I sure hope they do this one right.

5. audio

Are you sure about this? How do you know? I was under the impression that it would only have an SACD layer.

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I would be surprised if it wasn't a hybrid. A single layer would be too limited in appeal.

- GAbe

7. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

:) As if simply being a Big Star reissue doesn't make it a niche product in the first place! :)

FFF

8. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

It's already been announced by Mobile Fidelity as a Hybrid Stereo SACD - coming out this summer.

See the article on Mobile Fidelity's announcement on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19821825 for more details.

9. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

It is the announcement of this single CD that has finally driven me to buy an SACD player.

I can hardly wait.

Chris

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Well...you're in luck. They just announced the full Larry Norman catalogue plus his Stonehill holdings to be reissued on SACD.....just kidding!

Hope I didn't cause a mild heart attack...I'd be happy if we could see that on redbook muchless SACD. ;)

11. audio

Now that is FANTASTIC news! Seems I don't have to buy an SACD afterall. This should be incredible. The old cd sounds really good. Hopefully this actually is a significant improvement. I vote for Steve to do "I Am the Cosmos" next! All in favor, say "I".

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Aye, captain!

13. Burningfool

Awwww, MA - your post actually did increase my heart rate for a moment. LOL!

And yes, I would be happy to have Capitol reissue the original mix of Upon This Rock (with bonus tracks.) And while we're at it, whoever controls the old MGM and Verve stuff should reissue So Long Ago The Garden and Only Visiting This Planet from the original 2 track masters (again with bonus tracks.)

Yeah, right

Chris;)

14. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Now I've seen it all...a Big Star thread hijacked by Larry Norman and Randy Stonehill. I just wish Norman would get his Mark Heard and Daniel Amos stuff out already!!

Mark

15. Burningfool

So sorry to hijack this thread - I really did want to talk about Big Star, I promise, but Magic Alex got me all excited out here in Mars!

But since you asked for Daniel Amos:

http://www.larrynorman.com/store.html

Unfortunately this reissue of Horrendous Disc is indeed kind of horrendous. Larry applied lots of NR to the tape, which he said was in bad shape. I personally prefer my vinyl version, but at least he put together some nice liner notes.

Now...back to Big Star.

Does anyone know if John Fry or perhaps Jody Stephens or even Chilton himself are involved in this reissue? I know there was talk of releasing a disc of outtakes and alternates from the first two Big Star albums (in fact a copy leaked out and has circulated among collectors for the past few years) so I'm kind of hoping for some bonus tracks.

There we go, just like that, back to Big Star.:cool: :cool:

16. audio

Who is Larry Norman??

17. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Prix, I'm sure there are better experts than I, but Larry Norman and Randy Stonehill are the original "hippie, Jesus-music dudes" of the early '70s. Tremendous artists in their own right, for better or worse they're responsible for founding what became Contemporary Christian Music.
    Burningfool, thanks for the link; I've got that Daniel Amos, I was just griping about all of the Horrendous Disc alternates that Norman hasn't released yet....

Uh, back to Big Star, would there be much room for bonus tracks on a #1 Record/Radio City two-fer?

Mark

18. Burningfool

No, I guess there wouldn't be, now that you say it. My Fantasy 2-fer clocks in at 73:27, so I don't suppose they could do much on that front.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.