Biggest CD screw-up ever

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike New Member

The Little River Band's Greatest Hits from a few years ago had some alternate mixes and was pulled from the market. Night Owls with lots of extra guitar parts is cool. :cool:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The first issue had the Brown Burlap on The Cee Dee raised, the reissue has it glossy, smooth and was made in Italy. Obviously you have the second issue. After the last track (The John Lennon backwards stuff), there is a bonus off speed "Run For You Life and a "Medley"...:)

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Ok, cool. :) So which mixes appeared on the first pressing?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I bought the four-CD "Lennon Anthology" last winter, my disc four was actually some "Jock Jams" album or something like that - I have no idea what the album was called, but it was a compilation with things like "Bad to the Bone" and other overplayed songs. The labelling was totally correct, but the album mastered on the disc wasn't.

I wouldn't call this the worst screw-up ever, especially since it was obviously very isolated, but it's the first time it's happened to me...

5. Michael

Here's a pic of the 2nd pressing...Most of the mixes that are stated on the insert card. I don't have the first pressing any longer. The second is the one to have.

Attached Files:

6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yep. That's the one I have.
    This series wins my award for worst packaging theme.
    :laugh:

7. Stateless

Stateless New Member

T Rex Electric Warrior UK 30th Anniversary Edition-During The 1st track "Mambo Sun" there are 2 drop outs & it also fades early. :confused:

Ziggy Stardust 30th-The stereo channels are reversed & "Ziggy Stardust" no longer segues into "Suffergette City".

So much for quality control. :rolleyes:

8. Michael

I agree, great sound though...:thumbsup:

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

can you elaborate on this one:

the label and cat # of the bad one

the label and cat # of the good one.

renny

10. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

When I bought the Beatles Collection LP Box in 1981 (dutch pressings) and found Abbey Road ending with "The End" and no "Her Majesty" afterwards...

Martin

Oops, sorry... this is a CD thread....

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Wonderwall said:

Are the channels reversed on the entire album, including the bonus tracks? If so, sounds like another reason to stick with the RCA version. ;)

12. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

The "brazil only" release of Frank Sinatra's famous 1975 Jerusalem concert features a live version of Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", a song which wasn't even written by the time the performance was recorded.

Arne

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Gin Blossom's NEW MISERABLE EXPERIENCE was mastered with reversed channels, only recently corrected on the DELUXE EDITION reissue (which has mastering problems of its own).

Not a serious error, but the recent remaster of Stevie Wonder's ORIGINAL MUSIQUARIUM I has a couple songs listed in the wrong order. I believe the first pressing of the LP had the same problem, so perhaps the reissue was just being scrupulously faithful to the original.

The Rkykodisc gold disc of David Bowie's CHANGESBOWIE omits "Diamond Dogs" from the back tray track listing, although the song is on the CD. The outer sleeve did have the correct track listing, with "Diamond Dogs."

14. That's it. Thought it was Sid And Nancy. I knew it had something to do with Sid Vicious. :laugh:
    Speaking of reversed stereo channels, the two early versions of Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection that I have on CD, the budget MCA version , and the Polydor pressing both have the channels reversed. It was corrected on the Gus Dudgeon remastered CD, which I have in mini LP sleeve, Japanese pressing. The easiest song to use for the test is "Love Song". On the reverse stereo version Elton's voice in on the left channel along with that tapping/clicking sound. Leslie Duncan's ac. guitar is coming through the right channel. On the remastered CD and the original vinyl, Elton is right channel, Leslie Duncan, left.

The original U.K. DJM CD is also probably reversed, since Steve has mentioned from time to time that most of the MCA Elton John CDs were digital clones of the DJM versions.

Attached Files:

15. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I can't remember the name of the movie, but I seem to remember a soundtrack came out with some Huey Lewis tracks on it. It was recalled right away, but some hit the shelves. I have one of these soundtracks, but the name....hmmmm...too early in the morning :)

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The first issue of the Guess Who's "American Woman" has a major flaw on "8:15". The intro is missing, and the song begins abruptly in the middle of a chord.
    A British issue of Thunderclap Newman's first album features only the first half of "Accidents".
    American first issues of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" miss the first guitar line.

17. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well, that explains why, from time to time, I read comments about SOME versions of Aqualung having the guitar intro repeated twice. I think there was even a Tull thread right here a little while ago where someone mentioned it. I owned Aqualung many times, and many versions - EXCEPT for the original CD issue, and ALL my copies always had the guitar intro repeated twice.

18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The Mobile Fidelity gold disc has the channels correct, too.

19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

It was American Psycho — I think Huey Lewis didn't want to be associated with the movie's violent, sociopathic theme. The song Hip to be Square was used in the movie.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can't be specific right now, but Rhino has issued tons of CD comps with the wrong versions of hits on them over the years.

21. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

THAT'S IT! Good job!

22. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's a couple of examples:

1. Re-recording of Chubby Checker's The Twist on Rhino's Billboard series (1960). Of course, ABKCO won't license the original, so it's not really a screw-up.
    2. Part 2 of The Spinners' Rubberband Man on Very Best of the Spinners (I think this was corrected later).

23. Michael

An early issue of Aqualung had the last few lines of "Wind Up" missing

24. Slippery

Slippery New Member

The biggest screwup I've encountered was actually on an LP. In the late 70s I bought Neil Young's "Comes a Time" and, though all the labeling was correct, the second side of the LP was side 1 of James Taylor's "Gorilla"! I'm not too hip on LP pressing but that seems rather bizarre. If anyone has an explanation I'd love to hear it. Unfortunately, I gave the record to a friend who thought it was somehow "meant for him" and his longing for a certain lost love at the time. Stupid is stupid does...

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It could have been, but, like you, I have the first pressing because I have the correct single version on a Time-Life CD. BTW, I thought that screw-up was from some tape BI found in the vault and used by accident.

Rhino also used the wrong mix/edits of:

Fly Robin Fly-Silver Convention
    Rock Your Baby-George McCrae
    Play That Funky Music-Wild Cherry
    Knock On Wood-Amii Stewart
    Disco Nights (Rock-Freak)-GQ
    Fire-Ohio Players
    Be Thankful For What You've Got-William DeVaughn
    Addicted To Love-Robert Palmer
    The Message-Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five (compressed, from record)

And now all the reissue companies tend to use the awful stereo mix of "I Think We're Alone Now"
    by Tommy James & The Shondells. The stereo mix Of "Tell It Like It Is" by Aaron Neville just doesn't cut it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.