Biggest rip-off album you've seen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I recently noticed a CD in my mother's collection, which she had bought but never played - "The Very Best of James Taylor", which was adorned with a recent photo of him, but had a truly odd tracklist.... three songs that aren't him whatsoever, and six songs from the cash-in album of Flying Machine demos.

This has to be the biggest ripoff I've ever seen.... especially since the cover was designed to look just like a REAL 'best of' collection he put out around the same time.

What albums have you seen that just made your blood boil because they were a complete waste of money? (I imagine a lot of those "teenage Bee Gees songs, modern Bee Gees photos" CD's will pop up here!)

2. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Tie between either Joey Molland's Best of Badfinger or Rykodisc's Day after Day: Live.

broccolid, reeltime, wildstar and 4 others like this.
  3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Neil Young - 'The Lost Tapes' (1992)

EVOLVIST and arthurprecarious like this.
  4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Neil Young - Storytone on vinyl. US $ 70

Go flogg yourself you tight old bastard.

DLD, jonathan, ted321 and 10 others like this.
  5. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

This fake AC/DC album.

[​IMG]

6. stem

stem Forum Resident

Currently £55 at Amazon UK. That's roughly $84 ! Think I'll pass.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It has to be a Hendrix one, my vote goes to 'The Eternal Fire of Jimi Hendrix'

davenav, Moonbeam Skies, RonW and 4 others like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As far as similar clueless repackages, one that sticks in my mind is a Steely Dan CD released when they started touring again in the 90's. It had a photo of Becker and Fagen superimposed on a photo of a crowd who looked more like Lollapalooza kids than a Steely Dan audience, while the music was their endlessly rereleased pre-first album demos.

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

These:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Because they contain the same material. There are even more versions of this pre-Love It To Death material out there.......

hidden1one and Blastproof like this.
  10. TheLazenby

Oh, God - you just reminded me of this classic:
    [​IMG]

Big hint - Jimi Hendrix is NOWHERE to be found on this album.

davenav, Dino, hidden1one and 16 others like this.
  11. TheLazenby

I can't find a cover pic, but I know for a fact that a Beatles compilation called "20 Greatest Hits" (as well as a second volume "20 Great Hits") came out at the same time as the REAL "20 Greatest Hits" - except this one was just Sheridan and Star Club material.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Currently $42 on Amazon.

I'll bite at $35.

dennis the menace likes this.
  13. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Elvis Costello's 'Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook' boxed set was actually disowned by Elvis himself. He said something about the list price either being "a misprint or satire." LOL!

The single disc version is actually great though.

14. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Just saw the DR on the new Sticky Fingers re-release. Seems like a total ripoff money grab for something that will sound like dogs**t.

VP

15. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Too many to list for Bob Marley. All 60's, early 70's stuff very early recordings. Good for the collector or hardcore Marley fan, not good for someone looking for Island label hits.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Rykodisc was one of those I saw every time I went to the record store for a few years and thought about buying. From what I learned later I'm glad I didn't.

melstapler likes this.
  17. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yes. I bought this and took it back for a refund and said " It's not Neil Young" - they coughed up too...

18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Not 1 note of Jimi playing indeed!

On the other hand, the odds are that it is Atlanta soul legend Lee Moses who is doing the playing, so for rare soul collectors it has interest.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  19. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big piles of crap. Not "alternative takes" as advertised, but loads of cheesy keyboard overdubs. Buy under no circumstances.

melstapler and greelywinger like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Any of the SACDs on Amazon UK. Especially the Japanese ones.

Vaughan likes this.
  21. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Call me a skeptic, but I still find it hard to believe that someone in the business for that long, who has licensed his masters that many times, and obviously had approval was unaware of what that bohemoth would retail for. Slipcase (didn't the spinner work?), hardcover book, vinyl, poster, CD & DVD...

Perhaps it was the quality (which, granted, I haven't heard, but the reviews weren't kind) figured into the "dismissal"?

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Similarly you have the Van Morrison Bang material compilations, about 2000 of them. I think the material is very good, but the comps are not representative of Van's solo career.

Mr. E. Tramp, zelox and Rockos like this.
  23. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

I don't recall the entire interview but thought that particular line was funny. I actually find most reissues to be enormous ripoffs. It blows my mind that - in 2015- the Led Zeppelin catalog is getting reissued again! Meanwhile, hours of usuable concert recordings (by any band - not just Zep) sit rotting in the vaults.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  24. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

There are so many ripoffs out there. Go to your local WalMart in the $5 bin, and there will be so many "best ofs" of washed-up bands that are re-recording (possibly live) by the current lineup that may include one or two original members. Here is one example: http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Versions-Foreigner/dp/B000F6II1W

Moonbeam Skies and Jrr like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.